Is it even worth it, NV?

flaggpuss

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really had much of a crashing problem with either game that wasn't mod-related. :whistling:

I'm enjoying NV so far. The reputation system and the ammo system really add something to the game I think, and thanks to BAM, adds yet another way for my little Blazie to set things on fire. :devil: (I've even taken the idea and expanded it to energy weapons, when Blaze learns to make over and max-charge energy ammo, hoo boy it's gonna be good....)

Personally I'm keeping both FO3 and NV, partly for story purposes (Blaze has gotta go home sometime, even if she might not stay...) and partly because I don't plan to finish the NV main quest until a DLC that enables free play after it comes out and I might need something to do in the meantime. (Yeah I know there's a mod for it, but much like the one for FO3 it'll probably cause problems when the official one comes out)

I've only recently come back to NV, and so far, I can't find any gripe with it.

The story is stronger than F3's, the gunplay is great... and any game that features Peter Renaday (Duncan DA:O, Splinter TMNT) fiending "for some sweet, sweet Jet" is worth it. :)

I've only recently come back to NV, and so far, I can't find any gripe with it.

The story is stronger than F3's, the gunplay is great... and any game that features Peter Renaday (Duncan DA:O, Splinter TMNT) fiending "for some sweet, sweet Jet" is worth it. :)

In what way do you feel it is stronger? Personally I think the main story was a bad mistake. A sort of experiment into Bathesda style neutrality. No back story to the main character at all, and frankly the worst main quest of any game rpg I have played. Side quests were better, but it does not make up for the main one being so bland. I hope Fallout 5 goes back to the sort of story we got in the first 3 games personally, preferably more like FO1 & FO3. For me Vegas is the least enjoyable of the four games so far. My deep hope is they remake Fallout 1 main story, with a world space as beautiful as Fallout 3.

In my honest opinion, New Vegas is what Fallout 3 should have been. I haven't felt any desire to return to Fallout 3 since.

Whereas I am the polar opposite. I am left breathless with how beautiful FO3 is compared to Vegas now that I am back in that game. Downtown DC is a joy to scavenge in. And walking along the river from the Megamart to Rivet City is just incredible. If it were not for the super mutants and raiders trying to kill me, it would be a great afternoon walk.

Guess I am just fed up of looking as sand, more sand and even more sand :) The Mojave in New Vegas doesn't even feel like a nuclear wasteland to me. It just feels like a desert. Goodsprings seems almost 'normal'.

Each to his own I guess. But for me, Vegas will always be the odd one out in the Fallout series. It is a good game, and reminds me a lot of Oblivion which I enjoyed too. But it just lacks the main ingredients that made me a Fallout fan. I feel like New Vegas is the 'Phantom Menace' of the star wars movies. Somehow George Lucas managed to forget what made the first three movies so great.

Yeah, the Mojave seems even more untouched than Point Lookout was supposed to be, but with Nellis AFB and HOOVER DAM there, it should've been pelted with bombs. Hoover Dam should not still be there, even if only because a few bombs missed Nellis. (a nuke, even a weak fallout-verse nuke, should be able to compromise the dam if not outright destroy it)

That said though, it's still a fun sandbox (/IncrediblyLamePun) to play in, even if it's a bit short on radiation.

Its been 200+ years since the war, of coarse some places will be normal, DC was just terrible, it looked like it was only a couple years after the war, and everyone who lived there was just too lazy to go on with life.

Or too busy with surviving day to day to get round to moving five billion tons of concrete :) DC was glorious because of its unmitigated destruction and a constant struggle for survival. DC had very little drinkable water, and death could be waiting just round the next corner. In the Mojave they had great lakes of drinkable water and danger may have lurked around the next corner, but the next corner was usually 3km away. So I guess it was easier to clean up the .... errr.. sand?

Besides, I missed subway scavenging :)

Remember that mr. House has a security grid that shot down most of the nukes that were inbound towards Vegas and the surrounding areas, thus explaining the relatively small damage to the dam and other installations.