Need help with fallout 3 crash

xxnickste2121

This is the first time i have installed fallout 3 on this laptop and everytime i run the game it takes me to the start menu and when i click new game it loads for like a second or two then crashes and says fallout 3 has stopped working. I check my problem report as to why it stopped crashing and i got this

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Fallout3.exe

Application Version: 1.0.0.12

Application Timestamp: 48d194b3

Fault Module Name: Fallout3.exe

Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.12

Fault Module Timestamp: 48d194b3

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 006d8cdb

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 984072504

What does this mean and how do i fix it because i really want to play fallout 3.

ok i just tried running from the hardrive instead of the app it gives me the same problem but it also says unable to find INI File what does this mean

Edited by xxnickste2121

A few things:

First, that is a VERY generic Windows 7 error that can be caused by anything from bad drivers to fragmented hard drive to overheating, or could be caused by a configuration problem with the game. Basically, Fallout itself is only one of an enormous host of things which could be causing that error, so we need more info and we need to do more troubleshooting to narrow things down a bit.

Second, your game needs patching - badly. Download and install the 1.7 patch from Bethesda's support website.

Third, you should never install games to the "Program Files" directory tree, cuz Windows itself loves to interfere with file operations on any files in this area, which can cause all sorts of annoying havok. Basically, Windows assumes it knows better than you do :wallbash: what you should be doing with any files in the "Program Files" directory tree, and prevents any actions it doesn't "approve of" while stopping to ask your permission for other actions it is unsure about, both of which can cause appcrashes and all other manner of problems with games. The only ways to avoid this are to disable Big Brother (aka the UAC) which kills your security, or don't install anything but basic utilities into that folder tree.

Edited by proconsu1

Hi, I'm encountering the same problem.

My description is a s follows:

Computer\C:\Games

Problem signature:

Application Version: 1.7.0.3

Application Timestamp: 4a40f18b

Fault Module Version: 1.7.0.3

Fault Module Timestamp: 4a40f18b

Exception Offset: 006ddf7b

Locale ID: 3081

I've done everything that Proconsul suggested and am still having the came crash on me.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running the FOMM and FOSE as well if that helps

Not every computer can play the game. Laptops especially reasonably priced laptops that are intended for word processing and web surfing may not have a graphics subsystem that can play games.

Using the computer you plan to play the game on

Go here to see if your computer can run the game

http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

You will find the various game we support

Oblivion listed as 'The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion

Fallout3 as Fallout3 PC

Dragon Age listed as Dragon age

Fallout New Vegas as Fallout: New Vegas

Morrowind is not listed, However if you can run Oblivion at all it should run well on your system.

Note: TES V - Skyrim is not listed yet as no one knows what the final requirements will be yet.

my laptop is compatible i already tested it and i have run the game on my other laptop which is the same one as this i bought two of them one for work and one for games i tried everything you said an i still get this error

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe

Problem signature

Application Version: 1.7.0.3

Application Timestamp: 4a40f18b

Fault Module Version: 1.7.0.3

Fault Module Timestamp: 4a40f18b

Exception Offset: 006ddf7b

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 1385172773

if i shouldnt put it in the programs file where should i put it?

if i shouldnt put it in the programs file where should i put it?

Designate a folder yourself when it asks you that question. If you have only one hard drive then the answer is simple: just tell it to install to c:\fallout 3

It will prolly respond that that folder doesn't exist and ask if you wanna create it; just say yes and then let 'er rip. As to that appcrash, there are a couple of things that bear checking:

1. Are you running any mods? If so, post your load order here.

2. Have you edited the file "Fallout.ini" in your \\My Documents\My Games\Fallout 3\ folder? If so, undo those changes or copy the file "default_fallout.ini" from your Fallout installation folder (the one that used to be in Program Files but is now c:\Fallout 3 - hint hint) to that documents fallout folder and then rename it to fallout.ini.

3. Update your video and sound drivers.

4. From the Fallout 3 launcher choose "Options" and make sure that you have not set it to use a resolution or other option that your hardware does not support (and that it didn't set itself that way, either, since it does make changes on its own the first time you launch it).