Need help with optimizations

Prenihility

That is standard for Oblivion and games like it. Out in Tamriel world-space everything is spaced out, and when the player character is not near, all actor and creature AIs are inactive, hence better fps. In towns and cities, there are many more actors and objects crowded into a much smaller space, and because the player is almost always close to many actors, the game is processing much more information. Remember, every tree, rock, chair, bench, house, dog, person, weapon, armour, texture -- you get the picture -- has to be processed and rendered and processed. I'm sure you can see that towns and cities are going to make the game engine and your GPU/CPU work much harder, and things get even worse as you add mods that add or enhance city life. You should not be concerned too much about FPS, as Oblivion is an RPG, and an old one, not a shooter. If you run mods like Better Cities, consider installing the FPS patches that remove some unnecessary objects. You cold also look into PyFFI'ing your meshes. Lastly, the more mods you install (and that includes texture replacers and body mods) the greater the load will be on your system.

I use a combination of Streamline 3.1, Oblivion Stutter Remover and RadeonPro. Streamline 3.1 has quite a few good functions but I mostly use it for it's ability to adjust visual settings on the fly to improve performance when it's needed. I use Oblivion Stutter Remover to add relative multi core capabilities and extended ram usage. RadeonPro is obviously only for ATI users, I use it to force AA, texture quality, refresh rate, high priority processing and other things. You can setup profiles for any game with RadeonPro and it will auto detect when that game is running and adjust graphics settings.

Streamline is pretty straight forward in the sense that it should be used for FPS cap. You set a max and min FPS and it will auto adjust your visual graphics on the fly to try and achieve those FPS goals. Don't go setting the max FPS too high or your oblivion will always look like crap, remember that Streamline tries to achieve those FPS goals and only readjusts the visuals for better quality when they are reached. You can google for some more advanced settings and such. Take note that you need to adjust this to work with Oblivion Stutter Remover, also google for more info.

Oblivion stutter remover is good for adding multi core CPU instructions and allowing oblivion to really take advantage of more then just 1.7 gigs of ram (I think this is default). I'm running oblivion now using all 6 gigs with some tweaked settings. Some of the settings on OSR are not good to run, they can cause strange bugs like NPC's dropping dead randomly. You can avoid this altogether by running some of the basic settings only, which is what I do. One of the biggest things that this is used for is a 61 GHz refresh rate fix, I do not know much about 'why/how/what', all I know is that it helps my oblivion run smoother :) .

If you start getting into all this and get confused, hop back in here and post up a question, I'll try and help you smooth it out. Otherwise get into the OSR thread on the Bethesda forum (search google) and get some help from the OSR devs.

I dont see how this should be happening with my specs. Recommended specs are a Pentium 4, which is dead , gone, and buried. Oblivion's performance on my PS3 while in cities is flawless. There has to be more things i can do. I thought you guys could help me tweak the .ini file perhaps. Even though i already did, and my outdoot performance has improved.

I dont see how this should be happening with my specs. Recommended specs are a Pentium 4, which is dead , gone, and buried. Oblivion's performance on my PS3 while in cities is flawless. There has to be more things i can do. I thought you guys could help me tweak the .ini file perhaps. Even though i already did, and my outdoot performance has improved.

Oblivion is an old game, and simply cannot handle all of the new processor improvements that have superceded it -- multi cores etc. -- and you did not have all of the mods running on your PS3 version, did you?

Hickory is right, games need to be coded to take advantage of new hardware/software solutions. You are in luck though, the modding community continues to build features this game did not have. My PC rig is not bleeding edge technology here but it is far beyond what oblivion was meant to run on. Even if I used no mods at all, I would use those performance mods to improve game stability and performance. I would highly recommend you reading up on them and using them along with some of the unofficial oblivion and shivering isles patches, I would consider them to be essential.

My Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 OC'd @ 3.6 GHz

6 gigs ram OC'd

MSI ATI 5770 OC'd

Win 7 64

As far as PS3 or Xbox360 running Oblivion, you have to remember that those games are adjusted to run on those systems. All of the people buying those versions have the same hardware and operating systems. It is easier to squeeze out some performance on a larger scale for them then it is for PC players. We as pc players, all have variations of different hardware setups.

Again, the answer is to use streamline and OSR. That will improve performance and stability for you especially if you're using multiple cores and more then 2 gigs of ram. If you chose not to go this route [i would highly suggest you do], then you can run through this tutorial and look at some other oblivion.ini tweaks if you haven't already.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

Console game systems usually give better performance than PCs. They are machines designed to do nothing but play video games. They can't do much of anything else, but the circuitry is optimized to make games run well. So it is not surprising that your performance on the PC is not as good as it was on the console game system.

But PCs are nice because you can use console codes to get out around bugs, and download and make new mods.

Streamline stinks. Do anything you can to avoid using it. If you use Streamline it will be sort of like your character really really needs eyeglasses. The world will be sort of ugly and foggy and the bad guys will always be ambushing you and getting in the first blow because they can see a lot further than you can. They may even be able to shoot arrows and spells at you while they are beyond your viewing distance.

It kind of comes down to values. Do you prefer lots of frilly clutter to look at? Or do you prefer smoothness and speed of operation while you play? You have the ability to deactivate all those mods which are ruining your game experience.

Streamline stinks. Do anything you can to avoid using it. If you use Streamline it will be sort of like your character really really needs eyeglasses. The world will be sort of ugly and foggy and the bad guys will always be ambushing you and getting in the first blow because they can see a lot further than you can. They may even be able to shoot arrows and spells at you while they are beyond your viewing distance.

Just disable Streamline functions you don't want to use in-game or by editing .ini file. Even if you don't need Streamsight or anything, some functions like Streamsave is very handy.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1328/oblivionexe201103160343.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6332/oblivionexe201103160342.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6332/oblivionexe201103160342.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6332/oblivionexe201103160342.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6332/oblivionexe201103160342.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9487/oblivionexe201103160341.jpg

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9487/oblivionexe201103160341.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7597/oblivionexe201103160333.jpg

All shots with Streamline 3.1, OSR and RadeonPro Profile tweaks. In the city shot my FPS takes a dump until Streamline kicks in[usually 2-3 seconds], the visual quality difference is hard to see but it's there; mostly effecting shadows. I did have everything looking noticeably better a couple installs ago, I've just lost the energy to keep tinkering with settings. I'm content for the time being that all my mods are working with no crash's... at least for 4 hours or so. The memory purge in streamline is really one of the biggest features I rely on.

As for my PS3 running all them mods? of course not. But neither does the PC version.. The intro scene in the prison always irritates the hell out of me because of the FPS. Fallout 3 doesnt suffer from these problem, i could buy F3 right now, and i guarantee the game will overall run better than Oblivion, with HIGHER settings. And tbh, i find it hard to believe someone running an X58 system, a nice one, with Corsair Dominator DDR3 or something of the sort will run into these problems. Ill go ahead and download those optimization mods tho, and post back. I just hope one day Oblivion gets rereleased. It still questions me to this day, why the hell they didnt optimize the game more though. I mean, it came out at the time of the Core 2 line of CPUs, 2006 wasnt THAT long ago, lol. Damn Bethesda, do something good for us in the future when it comes to Oblivion.

Anyone in for a reoptimized Oblivion, updated...Maybe running the Skyrim engine? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.