CTD at various places

Marnok

Requesting help with CTD in modded F03.

Situation : I had various CTD throughout the early outdoor part of the game (after leaving the vault) and managed to get a reproducable one. When I walk forward a few paces after loading this, I get a CTD.

As testing, I removed all mods, and the game was fine - I could proceed past the crash point. As a further test, I removed Marts Mutants only and loaded the rest of the mods, and again the game is fine.

I reinstalled MMM in case I had a corrupt file, but I still get the crash on that save when MMM is loaded. It crashes even if I only load the .esm and none of the .esp for MMM

I would appreciate any suggestions for what to try next.

My load order :

[X] Fallout3.esm

[X] Anchorage.esm

[X] ThePitt.esm

[X] BrokenSteel.esm

[X] PointLookout.esm

[X] Zeta.esm

[X] CRAFT.esm

[X] CALIBR.esm

[X] Project Beauty.esm

[X] EVE.esm

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esm

[X] Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp

[X] Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp

[X] GalaxyNewsRadio100[M].esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Project Beauty.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Project Beauty (Followers Enhanced).esp

[X] WeaponModKits.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp

[X] EVE.esp

[X] EVE Operation Anchorage.esp

[X] EVE - FWE Master Release.esp

[X] EVE Anchorage - FWE DLC Anchorage.esp

[X] EVE - FWE with WeaponModKits.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty + FWE.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + DLCs.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + Project Beauty.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp

[X] marnokmerge.esp

Edited by Marnok

First off, you need to disable the Natural Selection esp. The FOIP install instructions clearly say that it must not be run concurrent with FOIP because it was integrated into the MMM-FWE patch.

Now, this problem sounds like it may be an error being generated by an erroneous spawn trying to take place in that cell, which may mean you need to "scrub" your savegame of any bad spawns. First thing to do to try this is deactivate MMM and any FOIP plugins for it, and rebuild your merged patch. Load your save game, move to an isolated indoor location where there are no NPCs, like the Super Duper Mart if you already cleared it out, or Silver's house if you killed her; your Megaton house won't do unless you killed you robo-butler. Now "Wait" for 24 hrs, and do it nine times - IOW, let nine full game days pass while your character sits in there by himself. That will let every cell in the game do its respawn, and yes I know that MMM says four days but it doesn't take into account that FWE resets the spawn timer to nine days. Now, after nine days have passed, save the game there and quit out. Now reinstall MMM and the FOIP plugins for it (leaving out Natural Selection this time). Next, get and install BOSS and let it have a shifty at your load order, and carefully look over the annotated listing of your mods that it will generate. Rebuild your merged patch. Fire up the game and load your new save, and just stand there for a minute to let all the scripts initialize and catch up. Now make another new save and quit. Now load back and run from that most recent save. Good luck!

Edited by proconsu1

First off, you need to disable the Natural Selection esp. The FOIP install instructions clearly say that it must not be run concurrent with FOIP because it was integrated into the MMM-FWE patch.

Now, this problem sounds like it may be an error being generated by an erroneous spawn trying to take place in that cell, which may mean you need to "scrub" your savegame of any bad spawns. First thing to do to try this is deactivate MMM and any FOIP plugins for it, and rebuild your merged patch. Load your save game, move to an isolated indoor location where there are no NPCs, like the Super Duper Mart if you already cleared it out, or Silver's house if you killed her; your Megaton house won't do unless you killed you robo-butler. Now "Wait" for 24 hrs, and do it nine times - IOW, let nine full game days pass while your character sits in there by himself. That will let every cell in the game do its respawn, and yes I know that MMM says four days but it doesn't take into account that FWE resets the spawn timer to nine days. Now, after nine days have passed, save the game there and quit out. Now reinstall MMM and the FOIP plugins for it (leaving out Natural Selection this time). Next, get and install BOSS and let it have a shifty at your load order, and carefully look over the annotated listing of your mods that it will generate. Rebuild your merged patch. Fire up the game and load your new save, and just stand there for a minute to let all the scripts initialize and catch up. Now make another new save and quit. Now load back and run from that most recent save. Good luck!

OK thanks - I'll do all this, sounds like a weekends work but I am assured the game is worth it!

It sounds like this may be a problem with the integrated Natural Selection. Or perhaps a bad merge on the leveled lists. A fix might be possible by ditching FO3edit and making a bashed patch instead using Wrye Flash. Or you could ditch MMM. For me, the main positive things that MMM added were all FO1 and FO2 throwback things, like floaters, geckos and such. If you can live without those things, and you are not fussed about the whole "natural selection" biz, then you will prolly find your quality of life vastly improved by kicking MMM to the curb...and the crashes with it. If not, then give Wrye a shot and see if you can salvage the thing.

• 2 weeks later...