Some issues with companion/house mods and the "content no longer a

kevkiev

I've been trying out a few player housing mods lately, and am having varying degrees of success with how well they interact with my 2 companions - the Lucy West and and the Sydney Follower mods. (Both of which I quite like.)

In a recent tryout of a housing mod ("What a Lovely Shack"), and after Sydney somehow died (she's essential) coming up from a lower level to the main level (revived her via prior save), both companions refused to leave the building. No biggie, each mod has a feature for the companion reappearing. So I fast travelled to Megaton and they reappeared, but both were on "wait" mode. (I'm thinking that might explain Sydney's death, ie somehow her essential status was changed at the time of her injury). But I couldn't trigger companion mode in Sydney even though I got the right dialogue option, and I didn't even get the companion dialogue for Lucy. I uninstalled the housing mod and, on restart, Sydney responded to the dialogue so I got her back. But I still don't get the right dialogue options for Lucy.

Oddly, I get the "this save relies on content that may no longer be available" message whenever I start a game now. (I don't think that's the exact wording of the message, but I'm sure everyone's seen it)

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could get Lucy back I'd appreciate it. I could just uninstall/reinstall Lucy, but it would be nice to get back the weapons and ammo I loaded her up with. (I only get one dialogue option - "Time for me to go now", so I can't access her inventory.) All in all, not the hugest of problems I suppose.

But I'm also very curious as to what I'm being told by the "content may no longer be available" message whenever I start FO3 - I've seen this message a ton, but always only one occurrence of it immediately after uninstalling a mod. Never after starting a game that wasn't preceded by an uninstall. The message is annoying but I don't notice any issues when the game is running.

Edit: I uninstalled the Lucy mod but I'm still getting the "content may no longer be available" message whenever I start FO3.

Edited by kevkiev

When you save a game it also saves the list of esms and esps which were active at that time. So when you load up that save and it sees that one of the esps that was active before is suddenly not there, then you get the message about content no longer being available. But then when you play on and make another save, it is now saving the list that does NOT include that removed esp, so future loads don't give the message any more.

As for your error, it would help a lot to see your load order as exported from FOMM.

Thanks for the reply proconsu1. It was pretty quick after I edited my first post so (re: load order) you probably didn't notice that I uninstalled Lucy. (I get impatient sometimes, lol.)

That's how I understood the "content no longer available" thing. But it happens every time I start FO3 now, no matter how many saves ago I deleted an esp. I restarted the game a few times after uninstalling the housing mod files, and 3 times since uninstalling Lucy and the message appeared each time. Me confused.

Very. I am now officially fresh outta clues. Afraid the brute force approach may be called for here. But you could check things in a smaller way by starting a new game, playing all the way out of the Vault and into Megaton. See if it remains stable through that first coupla game days after emerging from the Vault. Wondering if this is corruption that has built up due to bad spawns in your cells, or if its more systemic and perhaps coming from a bad version mismatch in your mods.

Go figure, I was thinking of starting a new game as you suggested and the message stopped appearing. I must have got that message 6 or so times in a row, but it stopped happening. I've started up FO3 4 times without it occurring again. I did download & uninstall 2 mods in the meantime (ie after the 6 or so bogus messages), but who knows if that as anything to do with anything.

Very strange. Hopefully it was just some weird kind of hiccup.

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.