ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Getting my follower to speak

vram1974

I know this is pathetic. I've created my custom follower and I'm basically on the "Hello World" part of this guide:

http://deck16.net/post/23029593001/making-a-unique-voiced-follower-in-skyrim-part-3

I recorded the audio for the follower and I've placed it in the proper directory based on the Creation Kit.

In the quest to say hello the Creation Kit has told me the file name. So I renamed my custom wav file to what it says:

VramNPCDialogue__00001D8D_1.wav

I also converted it to an .xwm file

VramNPCDialogue__00001D8D_1.xwm

However I can't "preview" the sound file in Creation Kit.

When I go into Skyrim I see my follower, he looks at me. I see the dialogue but the lips don't move because Creation Kit won't get the lip file and no sound comes out either.

Anyone have any ideas?

That guide is a little misleading. The thing to do is to record your audio "Hello", then use the creation kit's record function to record some silence, then look in the sound folder for "temp.wav". Before closing the record window in the CK, replace the temp.wav file with your "Hello" file. Just overwrite it. Then go back to CK, click on preview and you should hear your "Hello". Then press "Save", and it should automatically generate a lip file. If not, click on generate lip file but select "from wav" first. Close it down, then test it. Repeat the procedure for every voice file.

That guide is a little misleading. The thing to do is to record your audio "Hello", then use the creation kit's record function to record some silence, then look in the sound folder for "temp.wav". Before closing the record window in the CK, replace the temp.wav file with your "Hello" file. Just overwrite it. Then go back to CK, click on preview and you should hear your "Hello". Then press "Save", and it should automatically generate a lip file. If not, click on generate lip file but select "from wav" first. Close it down, then test it. Repeat the procedure for every voice file.

SOLVED!

I needed my microphone plugged in. Even though some guides said you don't, it worked when I plugged it in.

Cheers