Converting Mods to Bain

Hanker109

Hello Everyone!

I'm very much interested in learning how to convert mods into Bain Packaging. I have found some lame information on the internet but nothing clear on how to build these packages. I tried Wrye Bash site but, again, very little information there only explanation about simple, simple complex and that's it. If someone can guide me to a location where I can get this info, I will highly appreciate it. I want to thank any help in advance for any information in this regard.

Sincerely,

hanker109

There appears to be a "them and us" situation developing with OMOD and BAIN installers - and until the BAIN system can handle an OMOD input file it's going to remain a major problem.

What is needed is a "virtual OBMM" as part of the BAIN installer, which will run the OMOD scripts, build a matching BAIN installer, then use that. Thus you'd get the benefits of both systems with the added compatibility with existing setups.

There appears to be a "them and us" situation developing with OMOD and BAIN installers - and until the BAIN system can handle an OMOD input file it's going to remain a major problem.

What is needed is a "virtual OBMM" as part of the BAIN installer, which will run the OMOD scripts, build a matching BAIN installer, then use that. Thus you'd get the benefits of both systems with the added compatibility with existing setups.

Hi MarkInMKUK:

Thanks for your reply, I think I'm not able to understand how to make a "virtual OBMM" and then build a matching Bain. Is it possible for you to give some more guidance on this? I will really appreciate the input.

Best regards,

hanker109

Ok - in simple terms a scripted OMOD lets you select options during install in a way that a BAIN installer doesn't. It then installs the resulting selection over the top of your current installation.

If, however, a,"virtuall obmm" could be made, the output from the OBMM could then be installed using BAIN with all the benefits that would bring,such as uninstalling and restoring previous file versions.

It hasn't happened yet though :(

I got you, that is why we must learn how to repackage those mods. I like OBMM but Bain will give you mores specific info if the mod has conflicts or there is something missing, I think. You know, I'm amazed that no one has yet converted Oscuro's Overhaul to Bain, at least I have not found any. Thanks again MarkInMkUK.

Best Regards,

hanker109

Well, if you re-convert an OMOD into an archive (what I call OMOD-Ready), wouldn't BAIN be able to take that archive and install it...and simply ignore the OBMM info folder?

There are not a lot of mods that require OMOD scripting and many times, the mod be simply re-packaged to be a simple install with the optional parts in another install to avoid the scripting issues.

I'm not a BAIN user and don't have any experience with it...just read some documents on what it does.

LHammonds