Help with Demodding Fallout 3 without re-installation

ConradTwitty

Hey there, first time posting. Could really use some help. Here's the run-down, I have a HEAVILY modded version of Fallout 3 that runs off of STEAM and I've been tweaking around and experimenting with new mods. Unfortunately, apparently one of the mods I uninstalled has severely fudged up my textures, male raiders have black, untextured legs, etc. So what I am looking to do is wipe all the mods off of my game WITHOUT having to re-install it. Considering a 24 kb/s download speed ( GO SATELLITE INTERWEB, YAY! D: ) it would take me 4+ days of non-stop downloading to Reinstall the game. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks <3

For starters you can always just uncheck mods that you don't want to use. Then you can always delete their specific data if you know what belongs to which, But I guess the problem runs a bit deeper if you opened a topic here as you might very well already have considered said options.

In this case I can barely help you, but more informations would be nice anyhow.

Go one by one through the archive files of the original downloaded mods and extract them into separate dummy folders. Then look at the files in those dummy folder to see what needs to be removed from your actual installation folders. Nothing that is mod-installed ever overwrites any vanilla files, so any file you see in a mod archive is NOT part of the vanilla game. The only thing that some mods may change that IS part of the vanilla game is the fallout.ini file in your \\My Documents\My Games\Fallout 3\ folder, and they only edit that, not overwrite it. And that ini file can be reset by copying and renaming the file "default_fallout.ini" found in the installation folder.

And for future reference: if you are going to be experimenting with mods, get and use a good mod installer/uninstaller tool like FOMM or Wrye Flash. Either of these programs can install mods AND track the file changes they make, so that they can uninstall them later and put everything back as it was prior to install.

Edited by proconsu1