Doom Fanatic

Herculine

Have you ever checked out Classic Doom 3 (the original Knee Deep in Dead levels ported to the Doom 3 engine)?

Yep. The only thing I found disappointing about that was the fact that they were only legally able to convert the first episode since it was the only one that is now considered freeware.

True enough. I think the big allure for me is that nostalgic flashback when I start a level and then go ... ahhh, I remember this part. I even found a bonus level I'd never found when playing through way back when. I spent a lot of time on the shareware version back in the day before I ponied up for the full meal deal. I checked out your blog ... some good tips and options there for getting the original running on todays hardware (I admit I've downloaded GZ Doom in the past but never got around to installing it). Good stuff.

Thanks. My next posts on the blog will begin to focus on add-on levels and other content that can be used in conjunction with these programs to breathe new life into what some players these days consider a tired old game.

Since it is a bit of a nostalgic subject I'm not going to hold my breath in hopes that the blog will have a lot of followers, but if I somehow manage to attract a few new players to the game then at least I'll feel like I've somewhat accomplished my goal.

I've been waiting in anticipation of DOOM4 as well. My only hope is that with the new one they will return to a style of gameplay more similar to the original games rather than trying to be all survival-horror storytelling this time.

Dooms are great games.

I'm playing classic dooms with doomsday engine using jdoom and high resolution packs. Makes game lot better looking.

Also have doom3, but never liked the new look of monsters and that annoying darkness of the game.

I also made race mod for oblivion that was inspired by the doom monster baron of hell, mod is named same. Baron is my favorite monster of all games i have ever played. Another legendary monster from doom is cacodemon. In doom3, caco was also pretty lamelooking compared to that orginal one.

I agree that the whole Doom 3 flashlight-versus-dark corners gimmick was used to an annoying extent. One or two dark-themed levels would have been okay, but instead they just made it a pain in the a**.

I also agree that new 3D models does not always equal better. Personally, I think I like the look of some of the Doom 64 monsters better, though they kinda botched the Arachnotrons and some of the other Doom II monsters weren't even included in that version.