Political Correctness,

phoneyLogic

Minor point, we each only have one brain. So were one's mind to be "too open" one's brain (singular) would fall out, based on what someone said above. Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine.

What I really wanted to say was that although I have heard Black Baron say a lot about what he considers the proper treatment of human beings, I have never really heard him say that he was actually pro Political Correctness. I could be totally wrong, but it seemed to me that he was more attempting to say that he thought some consideration needed to be given to how we look at one another and that we stop typecasting. If I am mistaken, I herewith withdraw my statement. Maybe I am the one who is misunderstanding what he is saying.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the original meaning of the phrase, for over a century a "spade" has been used as a racial slur.

All your other examples are silly and outlandish to the point of meaningless-ness.

You might call them silly and outlandish. So do I.

However, that is the stupidity of the Politically Correct culture I have to live in. Therefore, they are valid examples of Political Correctness going too far.

Edited by Sync182

Minor point, we each only have one brain. So were one's mind to be "too open" one's brain (singular) would fall out, based on what someone said above. Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine.

What I really wanted to say was that although I have heard Black Baron say a lot about what he considers the proper treatment of human beings, I have never really heard him say that he was actually pro Political Correctness. I could be totally wrong, but it seemed to me that he was more attempting to say that he thought some consideration needed to be given to how we look at one another and that we stop typecasting. If I am mistaken, I herewith withdraw my statement. Maybe I am the one who is misunderstanding what he is saying.

No, you're quite right. I don't support this thing called "political correctness", nor do I support trying to live in the past where it was more accepted to treat others as Unpeople--hence my comments about the 1950s and Victorian era.

I do think we need to be self-aware and willing to fix our mindsets rather than think being shallow is something to be proud of. A person is a person, doesn't matter what they look like, what gender they identify as (whether it's in accordance with their bits or not, too), who they fall in love with, where they come from or what they believe. :)

Roquefort said this:

For many people, "political correctness" means having some concern for the feelings of others; for example, not using descriptive words for other people that they've indicated that they find offensive. For others though, the term appears to be a blanket-phrase applied to just about everything they hate about the modern world, from hugely significant issues like human rights to annoyance that they can't feel free to use their favourite slang terms for ethnic minorities (a phrase that itself would more than likely be described sneeringly as PC by such people).

Which by the way, everything I've posted in terms of my own views supports.

I never did get a proper definition from anyone on the right. Which tells me a lot.

If you really can handle the truth: you guys aren't talking about political correctness at all.

So let's talk about JimUk's concerns over Apple's applet that was removed.

Whether or not you believe homosexuality is curable, that decision was not made for "political correctness". Think logically. Apple is a corporation. Corporations' singlemindedly pursue one over-reaching goal: expand profits.

Homosexuals most often fall into one demographic group, 'dink" Dual Income No Kids.

Now say, 'duh'. If I have to spell it out the rest of the way there's really no use in me ever posting at all.

And now to the last point raised by gators, etymologically the root word is the same for both words. Why would you need to use such a term? I have a pretty vast vocabulary and I've never once needed to make a substitute for miserly. Which is the uneducated and which is just a dope? (If they're already gunning for you, you might want to err on the side of caution.)

You could try reading the thread, myrmaad, many of us have given more than adequate descriptions of political correctness.

To be honest, after reading your post I had to go take a large draught of my Royal Wedding champers before replying as the tone of your post is so breathtakingly arrogant and once more, using the typical stereotyping of people who disagree with you as being as thick as two short planks, as we say over here in the UK. I refer to your last two mini paragraphs, the condescending nature of which put me in mind of my experiences at a General Election count, when a Labour party member was trying to goad me into an argument with the object of getting me kicked out by the returning officer for rowdiness

Me "Sorry this is not the time not the place to argue..."

Him "Why, do you lack the intellectual capacity or are you just too frakkin thick?" (The real word he used was rather ruder.)

I am afraid that the attitude of the politically correct is too often to label those who have a different approach stupid, antediluvian, ignorant dinosaurs. Sometimes as downright wicked.

Despite the fact that I am now off back to the street party being co-ordinated by two of the guys from church who happen to be gay and at which there will be folks of all ethnicities and where there will be delicious foods made by all of them, as well as more champers...

Ginny said: "I am afraid that the attitude of the politically correct is too often to label those who have a different approach stupid, antediluvian, ignorant dinosaurs. Sometimes as downright wicked."

Ginny, I would say that anyone who would do that would by the very nature of those statements be politically incorrect themselves. Ergo, they are not the "politically correct". They are just the "ignorant". Name calling is school yard nonsense, and has no place in adult dialogue. So adults who resort to that sort of behaviour should just be ignored.

I did go back and re-read the thread, which is why I started again from the top. I'm quite certain I didn't call anyone a name. I do get a bit miffed when innocent people are victimized and made into scapegoats. I admit it, I don't like that much.

On the internet, political correctness doesn't exist, not even to some extent. In a common atmosphere of being right per se, no matter how foolish one is, there is absolutely no space left for self-dicipline or self-restriction in the discussion. The first hello, if ever, ist always followed by an epithet. As such the thread is ridiculous, perhaps not for the discussers, but for the readers that don't have blinders on. Edited by DeTomaso