How to uninstall & reinstall game without re-downloading?

stebbinsd

I tried the "Joy of Perspective" mod, but ultimately decided it wasn't for me.

However, even after uninstalling it, my first-person perspective is still F'd up! I can't see my weapon when I have it drawn, which forces me to turn to 3rd person to see if I have it drawn or not.

That's just a minor annoyance, but it's still annoying. The real deal-breaker is when I try to take out enemies stealthily with the crossbow. My left arms blocks my view entirely! At least with the bow, I can still see what I'm doing!

But here's the real problem: After uninstalling all the mods, and playing a vanilla install, I still have these problem with my first person view!

So, my only option is to completely uninstall the game and re-install it.

I had a similar problem with Oblivion, years back, where deleting the mod didn't solve the problem. However, back then, i was able to uninstall and reinstall the game without any difficulty, because the game code was on the disc.

Skyrim, on the other hand, is a Steam exclusive.

So, is there any way I can uninstall and reinstall the game, without having to re-download the game from Steam?

Have you tried checking the Steam cache to see if it will fix it? Not saying it could.

Typically I will, if I have a mod which overwrites things, like animations and textures, make copies of those things being replayed (the folder) so that I can revert back to the original if it messes up. I also make a save before adding mods.

Also check the mods and see if there were specific directions for uninstalling. Turning a mod off does not always get rid of it, or deleting it (as it may have overwritten files) so check that. Always read the documentation!

Good luck.

Have a duplicate copy of skyrim, Patched, TeSedit cleaned with a few key mods already installed(ie Latest SKSE) saved on your HD, but otherwise a vanilla backup. I do, and use it for testing, emergencies(none in a while) and for times when I need to do some vanilla-only work. Saves lots of time to have one of those around. HD cost-~ 15.6GB total.

If removal via NMM fails »»»»»»»a manual removal can be performed as follows:

1. Delete the following folder from your Skyrim install directory:

'Data\meshes\Actors\Character\_1st person'

2. Delete 'The Joy of Perspective.esp'

3. Delete SKSE/Plugins/SKSE_JoyOfPerspective.dll

have you uninstall like said by the mod author above?

it's completely unbelievable you will reinstall a full game just for a so small mod, it's not a overhaul.

After uninstalling all the mods, and playing a vanilla install, I still have these problem with my first person view!

uninstalling mods isn't in any way a Vanilla install, Joy of perspective is a DLL + meshes /.ESP, with a true Vanilla game you should have new ini'S, only the game and no more problems. no Skse = no plugin, 0 meshes, 0 .esp.

check if nothing remain in your file,

Skyrim/Data/Skse/plugin

skyrim/Data/Meshes/actors/character/1st_person

Skyrim/Data/Joy of Perspective.esp

True Vanilla game if you still want to scrap everything :smile:

@@

• 2 weeks later...

If removal via NMM fails »»»»»»»a manual removal can be performed as follows:

1. Delete the following folder from your Skyrim install directory:

'Data\meshes\Actors\Character\_1st person'

2. Delete 'The Joy of Perspective.esp'

3. Delete SKSE/Plugins/SKSE_JoyOfPerspective.dll

have you uninstall like said by the mod author above?

I don't even have a "characters" folder in my "\data\meshes" folder, let alone a "1st_person" folder inside it.

I also don't have SKSE_JoyOfPerspective.dll in my SKSE\Plugins folder.

Though I DID delete The Joy of Perspective.esp like you suggested. I'm about to fire up my game and see if that solve the problem. Back in a minute.

Ok, I just fired up the game, and guess what? I STILL have this problem!

And you want to know why I want to completely reinstall after such a small mod? Well, maybe this screenshot can show you why:

http://s28.postimg.org/ocadztu23/Screen_Shot2.png

When I try to shoot a crossbow in 1st person, my arms get in the way and the crossbow looks like I'm pointing it straight up in the air!

I might could deal with the crossbow not looking like it's pointing the right direction ... if my arm didn't get in the way! I can't even see what I'm doing! I can't tell if the enemy has moved, or which direction he's going, or if some obstacle has just moved in front of it!

When I'm using a bow and arrow, it's a little less aggravating, but still annoying. The arrow doesn't go where the aiming reticle points; it's usually a little bit above the aiming reticle. With practice, I can learn how to shoot arrows, but it's still a pain.

THAT'S why I can't stand having this mod! That's why I want it to go away!