NPC Auto Follow

Deleted3902739User

Hey, so I was wondering if it would be at all possible to make a mod where PC (Player) can be automatically following NPC automatically. Like pressing some hotkey and it will automatically follow that NPC until the same hotkey or movement key (WASD or Gamepad) is pressed. I think it fixes the annoying speed problem when the player follows an NPC and walks too slow or runs too fast. And I think it better for compatibility with other mod that modify player speed because this mod will only make PC following targeted NPC.

I tried the mod mentioned by EgoAlter and it never worked. I could activate the power, but my PC never moved. Tried it with Vilja (not surprised it didn't work on her), Selene Kate and several non-custom followers, all with the same result--it didn't work.

Since the comments section for that mod has been disabled by moderators here on the Nexus (no idea why) there is no way to see if anyone else has had this problem, nor is there any way to diagnose the problem. Essentially, the mod is entirely unsupported on the Nexus and from my experience, non-functional. I suspect it would have more than 30 endorsements (it must be working for some people) if it worked consistently. I found comments "elsewhere", but none of them seem to address the issue that it doesn't seem to work.

I remember I tried another mod several years ago (I just tried to find it again, to no avail) that worked as stated, but only did so for one game-load. In short, it worked for about 10 minutes then never functioned again, even after re-installing. Apparently it used a script that bugged out, then was baked into the save in that state, preventing it from working after a game re-load. Yay. The only way to make it work was cleaning out that script everytime you wanted to load a save. Not doable.

What I would like to see is basically what is mentioned--a hotkey to target an NPC that forces the PC to follow it. Pretty basic.

What I'd like to also see is a modification to the "I need you to do something for me..." dialog (the same response you get from holding down the "E" button while targeting a follower). The mod would simply differentiate between "Attack XXXX" when the PC has a weapon drawn, and "Follow XXXX" when the command is used without a weapon drawn, allowing me to tell a follower to follow any other target, for example my horse, another follower, or even shadow/stalk Nazeem. Or, if I am wielding a weapon, to attack the target.

Ideally, all of these functions would be in one mod.

Vilja has functions that force other followers to follow her, when told to do so in dialog. I suspect that this function could be borrowed (with permission, of course) and modified to work with the PC and other NPCs. In fact, the main reason I ever even looked for this sort of mod was to do exactly that--Follow Vilja while she leads me to one of her "Interesting Locations". I've yet to achieve that simple function.

Alas, my skills are not up to the task.

Vilja can take the lead, but her functions are so sophisticated that a huge amount of work would be required to make another character like her. The mod author Emma has been doing this kind of stuff since the days of Morrowind. What a learning curve that would require. On the other hand, Vilja is the paragon to which all other character mods can aspire to become.