Do you know how to play Caravan?

kevkiev

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know how to play caravan?

• 2 weeks later...
It's like three games of blackjack at once, kings double numbered cards, queens reverse the order of change the suit, and jacks take your(or your opponents) numbered cards out of play, when each pile(or "caravan") of yours is worth between 21-26, you win. Great way to make money, I made about 4000caps off no-bark noonan alone. He can spare it tho, I get the feeling he's the rich eccentric type;p

Damn, sure wish it worked for me.

Anyway, for anyone else who has the same bug as me: open the console (~) and type cam to get out of the game without forfeiting caps. Forgot to mention that before.

Yes, Caravan is a great game. Probably the coolest card game ever. What makes it so special is that as far as I know it is the first and only strategic card game. Yes, that is correct, the game is more strategy rather than evaluating probabilities as in luck-based card games. In all fairness to those who've ignored it, the learning curve is a bit steep and the in-game tutorial is dreadful. It wasn't until I found a decent tutorial on the web that I finally started getting the hang of the game. For those who've not played it though, you don't know what you're missing. :smile:

lol, third playthrough I've finally gotten the hang of the game. knowing caravan and playing it with anyone who'll give you a game is a huge advantage to the impoverished early-game player :P

I've got about 1500 caps out of it so far, mostly spent on ammo :P

good stuff.

just wish more characters were willing to play you :P

Foolproof method:

All 6's

All 10's

All Kings

All Jacks

In the first round, discard cards until you have two or three 6's, 10's and kings. Get rid of all Jacks, and get rid of any copies you have over three until your hand is ready.

Ideal hands:

10, 10, 10, 6, 6, 6, k, k

10, 10, 6, 6, 6, k, k, k

10, 10, 10, 6, 6, k, k, k

Play one ten on each caravan (either before or after you play the 6's)

Play one six on each caravan (either before or after you play the tens)

Play one king on each ten (last)

Use jacks to remove high-number cards in your opponent's caravans

You will be (almost) guaranteed a win in nine turns. If this does not happen, just keep futzing with your opponent's caravans using Kings and Jacks (Honestly it doesn't matter which so long as the end result doesn't make the opponent's caravan = 21-26), targeting caravans with a total of 21-26. You will make money quickly and painlessly.

Caravan was a decent idea, but it needs some severe refinement.

after a while, I started to understand the basic rules, and now I can play it, but still I lose sometimes, obviously, it depends on what cards you get. if you only have shitty ones and your opponent does not, you'll lose pretty fast. I still don't understand it completely though.

one thing I recently discovered is that you can use Queens, Kings or Jacks to make your opponent drop some cards or pass the 26 limit, you can just simply put your cards on top of their stack to do this. the opponent however will never put his cards on your stacks.

what I don't understand is that sometimes I cant lay some certain down, they just go red, but I dont really understand why. and sometimes, certain cards drop from my stack and I also don't get why.

but, still, if I manage to get a useful sequence of cards, I tend to win. there is some strategy involved but also a bunch of luck.

It's like three games of blackjack at once, kings double numbered cards, queens reverse the order of change the suit, and jacks take your(or your opponents) numbered cards out of play, when each pile(or "caravan") of yours is worth between 21-26, you win. Great way to make money, I made about 4000caps off no-bark noonan alone. He can spare it tho, I get the feeling he's the rich eccentric type;p

oh thanks, you answered one of my questions, or at least shed light on the little 'trick' I just discovered. but I still dont get why sometimes the game bans me from laying down certain numbered cards, except for aces, they tend to work always. didnt quite understand that rule yet.