Oblivion GOTY steam help!

IukJackI

Well, i've bought Oblivion GOTY off steam last Sunday.... and it hasn't worked since. The launcher comes up, yet all options are greyed out, except "exit" and "elderscrolls.com".

I've restarted my computer, validating the files, deleted local content (then re-installed about 6 or so times), running the oblivion.exe directly from the oblivion folder, deleting the .ini file, yet none of this works, i am still presented with the same frustrating launcher; with options greyed out... I'm using windows 7 64 bit, and i'm pretty certain i have the necessary requirements to run the game, as i can run fallout, battlefield bad company 2 etc. This is the first oblivion to be installed on this computer (i.e no disc or otherwise versions have been installed before)

Please help, i just want to be able to play the game i payed $25 for :wallbash: :(

Thanks very much in advance

-jack.

I'm not sure if you are hitting the UAC hurtle or not. I imagine Steam is located in the default C:\Program Files (x86)\... directory. It is possible to move Steam outside Program Files (x86) ... here's a link to instructions for doing that.

I'm not sure if you are hitting the UAC hurtle or not. I imagine Steam is located in the default C:\Program Files (x86)\... directory. It is possible to move Steam outside Program Files (x86) ... here's a link to instructions for doing that.

yeah thats where my game is located....uac hurdle? i shall look into it, many thanks :D

Windows 7 and Vista have a Microsoft security feature User Account Control (UAC). It attempts to stop your machine from being infected with malware by preventing programs installed in C:\Program Files\ and C:\Prgram Files (x86) from being altered. Some programs are designed to work with UAC (e.g. Adobe Reader) and can be altered via updates etc. Oblivion (and many games) are not. If the game is installed in a subdirectory of Program Files UAC prevents any changes (and that's exactly what mods need to do). Moving your games to C:\Games\... and or C:\Games\Steam\... will eliminate this problem with UAC.

Windows 7 and Vista have a Microsoft security feature User Account Control (UAC). It attempts to stop your machine from being infected with malware by preventing programs installed in C:\Program Files\ and C:\Prgram Files (x86) from being altered. Some programs are designed to work with UAC (e.g. Adobe Reader) and can be altered via updates etc. Oblivion (and many games) are not. If the game is installed in a subdirectory of Program Files UAC prevents any changes (and that's exactly what mods need to do). Moving your games to C:\Games\... and or C:\Games\Steam\... will eliminate this problem with UAC.

Ahhh, so i have to move it to a subdirectory? I.E making a whole new folder for steam wont solve the problem? thanks for the help so far btw :)

EDIT

Sorry i misread. but i still see what you mean, i'll move my steam to games folder and hope that works :(

Edited by IukJackI

there is a thread on the steam forums that tells you how to move steam

and therefore move all its programs (out of the uac dictatorship)

in one simple easy step

yeah i've moved my steam...hasn't fixed the problem :(

any more suggestions? i'm considering just buying the disc cause i cannot find any help on this anywhere....i've googled and searched forums but to no avail....thanks for the help so far though :)

I've restarted my computer, validating the files, deleted local content (then re-installed about 6 or so times), running the oblivion.exe directly from the oblivion folder, deleting the .ini file, yet none of this works

I'm not a Steam user but doesn't Steam have a game launcher? Also the file OblivionLauncher.exe is the one to use to start the game, not Oblivion.exe (thank you whalecakes for getting me up to speed on that detail).

I've restarted my computer, validating the files, deleted local content (then re-installed about 6 or so times), running the oblivion.exe directly from the oblivion folder, deleting the .ini file, yet none of this works

I'm not a Steam user but doesn't Steam have a game launcher? Also the file OblivionLauncher.exe is the one to use to start the game, not Oblivion.exe (thank you whalecakes for getting me up to speed on that detail).

Yeah, oblivionlauncher.exe just does the same...steam does have a launcher but again...just the same launch screen with options greyed out :(

I'm stumped ... does Steam let your uninstall and then reinstall games on the same machine? If so that would be my next suggestion (in case you got a corrupt download or similar). Worth trying before you spend more money.

Edit: sorry reread your post ... what about re-downloading it?

Edited by Striker879