Save Game Issue with Fresh Install

Azoroth

Hi, I just did a fresh install of Oblivion. I took my saved game files from My Games/Oblivion from my old game before uninstalling and placed them in a safe folder. After the fresh install, I put them all back in My Games/Oblivion including the autosave.ess and autosave.bak file. My issue comes when I start up Oblivion now and go to load, it says I have no saved games. Anyone know how to resolve this or will I just have to start from scratch again?

The directory structure should be C:\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves. The game won't find them in the C:\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory.

The directory structure should be C:\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves. The game won't find them in the C:\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory.

A ok, I had to create the folder Saves within that directory, saves appeared just fine.

Now I am having an issue I had over at the bethseda forums, and the reason why I did a fresh install.

When I try to save my game, Oblivion simply doesn't accept it. I've done the console trick doing player.SetActorFullName [blah blah] as I've heard that might help, but to no effect.

I have also tried manually saving the game via console [save (file name)] It says saved, but a new one is not created. Anyone know how to resolve this? It has been pretty frusterating, especially after a fresh install.

Is your fresh install outside of Program Files (not that this should be an issue with saving ... just you're at the best spot for making that change if needed)?

Have you tried starting a new game and saving ... I'm thinking save file corruption here when you load an old save and then try to resave. I've seen lots of complaints about autosave and quick save causing corruption, I avoid both of them.

Is your fresh install outside of Program Files (not that this should be an issue with saving ... just you're at the best spot for making that change if needed)?

Have you tried starting a new game and saving ... I'm thinking save file corruption here when you load an old save and then try to resave. I've seen lots of complaints about autosave and quick save causing corruption, I avoid both of them.

Yah, my fresh install is located C:\Users\Azoroth\Favourites, and creating a new character and saving does not work as well.

I know that on Windows 7 and Vista the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) directories are protected by UAC (and it's attendant headaches) but I'm not sure about C:\Users (I'm an old XP dinosaur who's resisting the 'more improved complicated'). Are you running the game from the same account that was used to install it? If it was installed using an administrative account but you're trying to run from a limited account you'll run into trouble saving.

I know that on Windows 7 and Vista the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) directories are protected by UAC (and it's attendant headaches) but I'm not sure about C:\Users (I'm an old XP dinosaur who's resisting the 'more improved complicated'). Are you running the game from the same account that was used to install it? If it was installed using an administrative account but you're trying to run from a limited account you'll run into trouble saving.

Yup, running from the same account I installed it on. Didn't have this problem until very recently (39hrs on my saves) and suddenly, unable to save anymore.

Yah, my fresh install is located C:\Users\Azoroth\Favourites, and creating a new character and saving does not work as well.

Well that's why your game isn't working. That folder is reserved only for Internet Explorer saved web link 'Favorites', hence the name.

Uninstall your game and install it to somewhere like C:\Games\Oblivion.