[WIP] Helmet Overlays

scrivener07

@megapolom

Yes, the next version will use the first (index zero) ArmorAddon biped model path. The ground model path can still be use as well so everything will continue to operate the same.

The new system will grab both the 'WorldModel' and 'BipedModel' paths from an equipped head armor. The mod will first try to load the overlay texture from the ArmorAddon biped model path.

If that path could not be loaded then it will try to load the world model path from the Armor form itself.

The Immersive Armors fur hoods all share the same world model. Each hood will fall back to the same overlay if one exists.

In game the "Fur Hood" and "Padded Fur Hood" are visually the same and also share the same ArmorAddon biped model.

Though they are visually the same would there be a reason to make a distinction between the two?

Im also only using the male paths. Have you found armor with no male path?

I have made a tree chart to show the possible path keys to the fur hoods in Immersive Armors.

Immersive Armors
===============================================================

EditorID: IAFurHoodPlain (Fur Hood)
-WorldModel: clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodnsgnd.nif (Try Second)
-PathKey:  .\Data\Interface\exported\overlays\clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodnsgnd.dds
ArmorAddon: IAFurHoodPlainAA
-BipedModel: clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodns_1.nif (Try First)
-PathKey:  .\Data\Interface\exported\overlays\clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodns_1.dds (same as Padded Fur Hood)

EditorID: IAArmorLightFurHoodPlain (Padded Fur Hood)
-PathKey:  .\Data\Interface\exported\overlays\clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodnsgnd.dds
-PathKey:  .\Data\Interface\exported\overlays\clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodns_1.dds (same as Fur Hood)

EditorID: IAArmorHeavyFurHoodPlain (Armored Fur Hood)
-BipedModel: clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodnsarm_1.nif (Try First)
-PathKey:  .\Data\Interface\exported\overlays\clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodnsarm_1.dds

Some other things of note.

-IFPV camera compatibility (horses too)

-overlay visibility during kill moves

-overlay visibility during actor dialogs

-removed verbose debug information on the GUI

Another big change is this mod will now be distributed as two plugins because I have divided Helmet Overlays into two separate areas of functionality.

The next version of Helmet Overlays will operate as a host/client framework for loading essentially full screen HUD widgets. Instead of widgets Im calling these "HUD Views".

Helmet Overlays will use this framework to load itself as a client leaving room for other HUD views to be loaded by other mods.

I dont expect this to be a popular framework but It gives me ability to continue some other HUD View based WIP mods without duplicating the same code or including it in Helmet Overlays.

Some of those other WIP hud view mods are overlays for magic effects like poison/disease, frost/flames, drunken, severe injuries. Those are still a long way off.

There is still one thing left to do and thats user configuration settings. The global settings for alpha, sizing, and lighting are still functional from the MCM panel. These MCM setting affect all overlays which is not always desirable. The plan was to have a separate menu for configuring specific settings for the currently equipped helmet, or more accurately the helmets "PathKey". These settings would then be saved as an external json file. If an overlay doesnt have a json file when its loaded then the global settings will be used. Now I feel this was an over investment since its blocking updates for easier fixes Im sitting on. I am working on cutting this feature for the next release and have almost finished refactoring most of it away from the main branch.

Maybe you could trade me some Immersive Armors overlays to test and I can send you the new version to test.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@megapolom

Yes, the next version will use the first (index zero) ArmorAddon biped model path. The ground model path can still be use as well so everything will continue to operate the same.

The new system will grab both the 'WorldModel' and 'BipedModel' paths from an equipped head armor. The mod will first try to load the overlay texture from the ArmorAddon biped model path.

If that path could not be loaded then it will try to load the world model path from the Armor form itself.

The Immersive Armors fur hoods all share the same world model. Each hood will fall back to the same overlay if one exists.

In game the "Fur Hood" and "Padded Fur Hood" are visually the same and also share the same ArmorAddon biped model.

Though they are visually the same would there be a reason to make a distinction between the two?

Im also only using the male paths. Have you found armor with no male path?

I have made a tree chart to show the possible path keys to the fur hoods in Immersive Armors.

Immersive Armors
===============================================================

EditorID: IAFurHoodPlain (Fur Hood)
-PathKey:  .\Data\Interface\exported\overlays\clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodns_1.dds (same as Padded Fur Hood)

EditorID: IAArmorLightFurHoodPlain (Padded Fur Hood)
-PathKey:  .\Data\Interface\exported\overlays\clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodns_1.dds (same as Fur Hood)

EditorID: IAArmorHeavyFurHoodPlain (Armored Fur Hood)
-BipedModel: clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodnsarm_1.nif (Try First)
-PathKey:  .\Data\Interface\exported\overlays\clothes\nbfurhood\nbfurhoodnsarm_1.dds

Some other things of note.

-IFPV camera compatibility (horses too)

-overlay visibility during kill moves

-overlay visibility during actor dialogs

-removed verbose debug information on the GUI

Another big change is this mod will now be distributed as two plugins because I have divided Helmet Overlays into two separate areas of functionality.

The next version of Helmet Overlays will operate as a host/client framework for loading essentially full screen HUD widgets. Instead of widgets Im calling these "HUD Views".

Helmet Overlays will use this framework to load itself as a client leaving room for other HUD views to be loaded by other mods.

I dont expect this to be a popular framework but It gives me ability to continue some other HUD View based WIP mods without duplicating the same code or including it in Helmet Overlays.

Some of those other WIP hud view mods are overlays for magic effects like poison/disease, frost/flames, drunken, severe injuries. Those are still a long way off.

There is still one thing left to do and thats user configuration settings. The global settings for alpha, sizing, and lighting are still functional from the MCM panel. These MCM setting affect all overlays which is not always desirable. The plan was to have a separate menu for configuring specific settings for the currently equipped helmet, or more accurately the helmets "PathKey". These settings would then be saved as an external json file. If an overlay doesnt have a json file when its loaded then the global settings will be used. Now I feel this was an over investment since its blocking updates for easier fixes Im sitting on. I am working on cutting this feature for the next release and have almost finished refactoring most of it away from the main branch.

Maybe you could trade me some Immersive Armors overlays to test and I can send you the new version to test.

*Faints*

I'll try to get my overlays done as soon as I can.

Edited by Everlive

The next version should be compatible with IFPV. But I haven't heard from scrievener07 for a while now, so I don't know how far with v3.0 is he. I saw your comment on overlays not showing up. Have you tried reinstalling skse? Not saying you did anything wrong but apparently when installing skse it can do it wrong. Rarely though. I had just one report of skse reinstallation solving the problem you describe. I think it was on page 10 of this thread. Hope it helps and have fun :wink:

That's strange that SKSE would be messing up on this one mod when every other SKSE mods work just fine. I'll try it and if it works, then I'll be able to do in-game screenshots of my overlays instead of laying the overlay over a screenshot.

Reinstalling SKSE didn't work. Still only this mod is broken.

Oh sorry, I meant fur hood and reinforced fur hood (fur hood over blades helmet) - ground model same, different model when equipped.

As far as I recall I haven't found a helmet with no male model. Will tell you if I do.

So as far as changing the paths of the already made overlays, I'd just have to change the ones that have different world space models and those that have male and female ArmorAddon biped model? Or will I just have to add the helmets that could not be implemented in the current version with the ArmorAddon biped model path?

I'll send you what I have for IA today, though I have to tell you some of the hoods don't have correct paths (fur hood for instance is done, but I haven placed it in it's folder because reinforced fur hood is already there).

Edit: Oh yeah, there's one thing I wondered if it would be possible to implement. Say you have a helmet and a mask - both having their own overlay. Is there anyway to make both overlays showing at the same time? Helmet on the bottom and mask over it. Also I created a patch for Dwemer Goggles: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13133/? and it doesn't work, probably because it doesn't use head and hair slot. Will the new version fix that and if not, is there a way I can do that myself without breaking the ability to wear them and helmet/hood simultaneously?

Edit: S***, sorry for the 4 days delay. I uploaded the file on google drive, I hope it works.

Edit 2: There was a comment I saw that made my bowels feel funny(it could have been something I ate :ermm:). The poster was asking if it would be possible to make a script that would change the sounds depending on the type of helmet worn. More reverb and stuff, like an equalizer. Would that be possible? Theoretically, I mean.

Edit 3: Don't want to get ahead of myself, but do you have any plans for fo4? I haven't played the game for more than 20min but I was just wandering if you were thinking about it somewhere down the road.

Edited by megapolom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a suggestion. I just downloaded the mod and I haven't fully tested it, so I don't know if this is already a thing. I thought it would be a good idea to, if possible, add the option to add any overlay to any headgear, sort of like how Helmet POV from Fallout 3 works. That way it'll be compatible with any armor from any mod.

I have a suggestion. I just downloaded the mod and I haven't fully tested it, so I don't know if this is already a thing. I thought it would be a good idea to, if possible, add the option to add any overlay to any headgear, sort of like how Helmet POV from Fallout 3 works. That way it'll be compatible with any armor from any mod.

I do believe that has been talked about before.

• 1 month later...

I do see why you'd like that, bu to be honest, that was the one thing that bothered me in the fo3 mod. It's true that it gives the user more options, but than again, applying an overlay to a headpiece is so easy if you're not doing them in bulk, that imho it's not really needed. just copy the overlay you'd like to apply, paste it in the correct folder (the one that contains ''Thenameofthehelmetyouwishtoapplytheoverlayto.dds'') and replace the one that is already there. If the helmet doesn't have an overlay already, you'll have to create the correct file path, paste the overlay there and name the file ''Thenameofthehelmetyouwishtoapplytheoverlayto.dds''. Note that the file path must be identical to the one that leads to ''Thenameofthehelmetyouwishtoapplytheoverlayto.nif'' in your Data dir. and the name of the .dds file must be exactly like the name of .nif file (except the extension). Also, now that I'm writing this I realise it might sound... not that easy. Than again, doing what you want might make a mod bigger. Or it may not. Sigh... I don't know... I just draw pretty pictures.

I do believe that has been talked about before.

I don't think it was in that exact context, though you've been around here longer than me and I didn't go through all the posts for obvious reasons, so I do apologise, if I'm speaking out of my own ass. The discussion I remember was about applying a universal overlay to all helmets that did not have a custom one, as a temporary solution, until it gets covered by an update or a patch. Again, if I misspoke, I apologise.

Edit: I do recall something about that now. Configurable in the MCM right? But tbh the list of overlays would be huge so scrolling through them for every overlay you wish to apply would be tedious.

Edited by megapolom