The Evil Yellow Explanation Mark

therachman

So heres the thing, sometimes when i download mods most of the meshes dont load and are replaced by a yellow explanation mark, I've tried so many things, like reloading the whole mod, unpacking all the contents of the folders into the data file, IDK WHAT TO DO! help?!?!?!?

If you will remember from English class, it is an exclamation mark rather than an explanation mark. It is what historians consider to be the first emoticon, lending emotion to dead ink on paper. It exclaims rather than explains (unless you are quibbling that exclaiming does indeed explain the intended level of emotion.)

When installing mods, it is safest to install one at a time and do adequate testing before installing the next one. that way you will know which mod is causing problems. If there are multiple mods causing problems such as missing meshes with the resulting yellow diamonds, you can go into console mode and click on one of them to get the first two characters of the REF ID so that you can compare it two the first two characters of the load order of your mods in Wrye Bash to determine which mod is at fault.

You will need to get the meshes into exactly the right folder. For example: C:Games\Oblivion\Data\Meshes\*stuff from the mod you are installing*

Read the readme file carefully for instructions on how to install the mod. Open two windows in Windows Explorer and/or 7-Zip and compare the the contents of the compressed downloaded mod you put in your archives with the one in your Oblivion game directories. Make sure the file paths are exactly the same and that you did not make any errors in installation.

If everything is perfect, then you may have downloaded a bad mod. There are a lot of them out there. Mods which fail to package all the required meshes with the download, or which have incorrect file paths so that the computer can't find the meshes which are indeed present. But this is for after you have tried everything else. You should assume that the mod you downloaded does actually work when installed properly.

The above explanations are correct of course, however, if you are like me and just get annoyed at looking at said yellow exclamation points try this mod out:

Missing Mesh Hider

That is like covering up a fatal wound and saying it can't hurt you because you can't see it. That's one of the silliest mods I've ever seen.

You can use FormID Finder or RefScope to identify the mod that missing meshes from.(The FormID Finder has replacement 'I'm Missing Mesh!!' which is smaller and less annoying) Edited by LFact

Another tip - read the readme file and if it says if requires another file or mod, install that FIRST. If the mod refers to a mesh from someone else's clothing replacer, and told you to install that first, you can't complain if you didn't do so.