How to make a race that waterwalks and doesn't swim

firepower02

How do I make a race that has waterwalking ability, but does not swim. I made a race with waterwalking ability, and I unchecked swims, the race would stop following when I'm in water. I checked swims, the race would follow me in water, but also dives underwater, then later surfaces "waterwalks" when I'm near the surface, but will dive again when I go deep.

I want them to follow me when I'm in water, but will always stay above the water. How do I make this kind of race?

Edited by firepower02

I may be completely off base here, but I think what you would want to do is this:

1) Create a copy of the race that you want your follower to be and uncheck swims.

2) Then you would duplicate the waterwalking spell and make it a constant effect ability. (I don't know if you need to do this. It just depends on the particulars of the original waterwalking spell.)

3) Then in the race, add your duplicated waterwalking spell to the list of racial spells.

4) Then assign the race of your follower to your duplicated race.

If I'm correct, then the follower should have the waterwalking ability and it will be applied constantly. Now, I don't know if unchecking swimming will cause the follower to stop following you. But if it does, try checking it again. Either way, I think the follower should probably waterwalk instead of swimming.

Also, you may need to turn the magicka cost of your duplicated waterwalking spell down to zero.

Hope that helps!

Edited by JMSFedaykin

I'm sorry if my first post wasn't very clear.

That's what I did, I unchecked swims and gave waterwalking spell/ability as racial power. The npc will only follow me until the edge of water. If I check swims, the npc will follow me when I'm in water, waterwalking, but will also dive when I go too deep. What I want is an npc that will follow me when I'm in water but will stay floating above.

I gathered that you added the ability. But, did you set it up so that it's constantly active? That's what I was getting at. If the spell isn't constantly active, there should't be anything in the AI packages to make it cast the spell on itself. That's why I suggested trying to set it up so the spell is always active. You probably also need to create a quest so the spell gets cast on the follower automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

It might have something to do with the navmeshes being underwater... I noticed that if the navmeshes are placed above water, your followers would refuse to follow you down deep and would constantly try to find another way to get to you, plus they would do this weird teleport movement sometimes.

On the other hand, if the navmesh is placed just below the surface, they will swim with you normally...until you dive underwater. They'll only follow you to a certain distance away from the navmesh before surfacing and try to find another way to get to your location.

So yeah, I think it's just a matter of navmeshes, which can be a long and complicated matter to do for every single body of water...