1. 1. What level do you get to?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 21-25
    • 26-30
    • 31 and Beyond

So here's the thing. I'm a chonic chargen maniac. I constantly end up making new characters, as in starting new games with new characters from scratch...although I have to add that I generally use the same face(s), so they are continuations in a very specific sense. But if I change my mod list enough, or something changes the perceptions I have on a game in progress, whatever...boom! Time to make a new character. I'm terrible.

I am totally prey to Alternate Start-type mods, and fall right into that varying background thing (even if the girl/guy is going to have one of my "stock" faces).

So I wonder, how often do you guys restart your characters? How often do you start a new game from scratch? How hard do you keep at it with the exact same character before starting a "new" one?

And why do you do, whatever it is that you do, if I may add?

Wizard (is it ok if I call you that?), this is a very intriguing subject for me. I have been playing RPG's for so long I cannot even count. And more often than not I play my character through to the bitter end. However, I do tend to play most games that I like over again many times. I almost always change to a completely different character each time. Race, gender, class, whatever. I do generally play rogue types though or at least stealth types. Rarely play warrior types, as I cannot fight very well.

However, I started playing Oblivion in the last year, and I don't know why, but I have started over several times and changed my character every time. I absolutely love this game, but cannot decide who to be. I have liked all my characters, but each one gets better. It may be because I am learning the game as I go along. I knew nothing about it when I started. I learned new mods, etc., so I keep adding new dimension to my game. In any event I'm having fun with it. Don't know if I will settle on one character or not.

Hope that answers your question, at least for me. Great thread.

While I almost always play a character to max, and perhaps make a second character after that, for Oblivion, lately I have been making a new character for every new mod I try out. This means I have a huge amount of level one characters made to try out a new set of armor or play a new dungeon. Any RPG I play on a console I make fewer than 3 or 4 characters and they usually make it to the higher levels of the game.

I myself try to stick with the same character but like everyone else I too constantly change my mod list and start new files with new characters each time I install a few new mods to my list. The highest I've ever leveled up was to level 240 on Oblivion using my 360 version. That however was me trying to see how high I could possibly go, on the other hand however I usually stick close to level 25 or so, seeing as how if you level up too high the enemies get too strong.

That all being said I'm sure I'm the only one dumb enough to take the time to level up to 240. This is not worth it for so many reasons, I really only did it so I could have a sense of accomplishment.

I rarely deign to play anything not maxed out in Oblivion.

I always syntheticaly level my characters to 80 when creating them, I refuse to start out a weakling, because after 5 years, I shouldnt have to.

The highest I got NATURALY leveling, with no mods, was 81, with mods, 1194.

In other games, I always go to the very top, for me the only honour is in absolute success and I like to feel like the pinnacle of a particular game,

I'd like to level up as much as posible with all my characters, I always end up starting over again when I last expect it. My first character got to 40+. Now I'm happy if I make it to 10.

I just level as high as I am when I finish the game. If I'm done with the character at 20, that's where I stop. Since Oblivion technically has no top leveling cap, there's not much incentive to try to get to the top like there is in Fallout.

Such varied and interesting replies!

Wizard (is it ok if I call you that?), this is a very intriguing subject for me. I have been playing RPG's for so long I cannot even count. And more often than not I play my character through to the bitter end. However, I do tend to play most games that I like over again many times. I almost always change to a completely different character each time. Race, gender, class, whatever. I do generally play rogue types though or at least stealth types. Rarely play warrior types, as I cannot fight very well.

However, I started playing Oblivion in the last year, and I don't know why, but I have started over several times and changed my character every time. I absolutely love this game, but cannot decide who to be. I have liked all my characters, but each one gets better. It may be because I am learning the game as I go along. I knew nothing about it when I started. I learned new mods, etc., so I keep adding new dimension to my game. In any event I'm having fun with it. Don't know if I will settle on one character or not.

Hope that answers your question, at least for me. Great thread.

It's a long username, so shorten away! That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Glimpses of the "person behind the persona" and what we think's important.

I myself try to stick with the same character but like everyone else I too constantly change my mod list and start new files with new characters each time I install a few new mods to my list. The highest I've ever leveled up was to level 240 on Oblivion using my 360 version. That however was me trying to see how high I could possibly go, on the other hand however I usually stick close to level 25 or so, seeing as how if you level up too high the enemies get too strong.

That all being said I'm sure I'm the only one dumb enough to take the time to level up to 240. This is not worth it for so many reasons, I really only did it so I could have a sense of accomplishment.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/blink.gif ...240...http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/woot.gif !

... with mods, 1194.

...maniac http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gif

My only personal regret about generally playing lower-level characters (once I have a play-through and get twenty-ish level that first time) is then with mods like MMM, I know I'm missing out on some really spectacular beasties that you only see higher-up.

I remember seeing a hill giant, I think it was, the first time outside of Skingrad...must have been some kind of random encounter, because he wiped the grass with everybody! But it was...epic.

Depends on the game. I'm assuming you're mostly talking about Fallout and Oblivion.

I only have experience with Fallout and I play characters all the way through following my storyline of choice, though I usually play each one different from the last in some way or another. Different weapons, different 'team', join different factions, whatever. I don't really have a certain 'level' I play them to. I finish the game, then I start over again. That being said, I don't blaze through the main quest only, I explore most everything on most characters, so I end up with many hours into each playthrough.

Other games, MMOs, such as WoW, it really varies.

Rarely do I play characters to max level in games like that, as it usually means grinding endlessly and becomes pretty generic and repetitive. I like games that give me a variety of things to do, or have story that keeps me going.

Or say, games like Call of Duty and other action-type games.

I usually hit max level, and that's where I stop. For me, it's more about the fast-paced action than leveling up and unlocking things in those cases.

For the TES and FO series I always try the furthest I can then mix it up in the next character. Most other game are the same if limited differently. I always try to max out.