Update on NMM version 0.60 and FAQ

Dark0ne

In response to post #29341584. #29380449 is also a reply to the same post.

[email protected] wrote: I've been playing skyrim mods since the game was released, I really liked the NMM but this latest up date has ruined the game for me. half my mods will not install of the 205 mods I lost at least half. Needless to say I am not a happy camper. I wish there had been some more testing on it before it was released. I kind of feel like I have lost a whole bunch of my friend all at once...being an old man that is rather isolated it dose hurt...stupid I know but that is how it feels to me.
Ryos36 wrote: I couldn't agree more with you sir!
this latest update was released FAR TOO EARLY to be considered your normal, typical update. The rush of excitement of implementing something new can lead to several downfalls and unfortunately, THIS is one of them. My heart goes out to you. Don't let no silly update ruin the good times you logged into your game.

yes. this was awful. i want my skyrim.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can disable the update messages in NMM, just go to Settings and under Options, uncheck the box where it says "Check for updates on start up".

Also, if NMM happens to crash on you and you lose all your mods and now want to restore your mods back to the old NMM version, try this method:

For those that want to revert back to the older NMM version, check out the Spoiler box here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/896029-nexus-mod-manager-release-notes-and-download-links/

You can restore your mods in the previous NMM by doing the following:

• Uninstall currently installed NMM, remove all config files when asked
  • Install a pre-0.60.x build (in my case 0.56.1)
  • Launch 0.56.1 and go through all the setup
  • With NMM loaded to the mod list screen, click on Tools (wrench and screwdriver icon) and select Restore Backup
  • Find the file Backup_DONOTDELETE.zip located in the VirtualInstall folder and open it
  • Restoration of all your mods should commence

During the restoration process, NMM will tend to install your mods in reverse order for some reason. I suggest that you double check what they are asking to overwrite before clicking on "No to Mod". Majority of it will probably be a "No to Mod" when overwriting regardless.

In response to post #29406489.

vixengamer wrote: I lost my game. I cannot start it. I crash to desktop, whether i continue or try to start a new game. I lost my game. Go ahead, point out that yes, you say it is a beta. I lost my game. I had to green check everything, and the game still won't start. Steam downloaded alot of information, but it didn't help. I have no idea what i am supposed to do now. I don't care that you are a tech, and you can talk all your stuff Dark0ne. You can say i am not helpful. that sounds arrogant. i am the player. you are the tech. You took my game away. I will not forget that.

are you guys for real? I've lost my game a dozen times due to beta testing the manager. That's how it works! It's a beta test! That's right, he's the tech, it's his job to set out guidelines on about what we can expect when we take the program into our own hands. One of the things we can expect is beta errors and that's always been clear, since the first beta of anything ever in software. Don't be a fool. It's not arrogant of him to say you're not helpful, because you're not f*#@ing helpful. You could help this COMMUNITY of people avoid the problem you happened to have. You could understand that a software failure doesn't make you special and it certainly doesn't mean youre owed anything, it means your hobby software needs some loving and attention to get it straightened out. Have you ever shot a gun? walked a dog? done ANYTHING? You have to feed your dog and clean your gun, sometimes even take one to a vet or a repair store. Do you get mad at the pound every time your dog gets sick? Realize that if you have hobbies they will occasionally have hurdles to get over and stop being such a self centered person. "I will not forget that" again sounds like a threat. YOU ARE WASTING YOUR LIFE. Fix it your damn self instead of blaming and attacking others in such a silly fashion. If your success are your own, so are your hurdles, your failures, your struggles. It's not someone else's fault just because it sucks. You don't deserve to beta test software if you call it "arrogant" that developers point out the FACT that if you don't help with detailed bug reports, they're being told to fix something by taking a shot in the dark, which YOU couldn't do EITHER.

In response to post #29406489. #29441169 is also a reply to the same post.

vixengamer wrote: I lost my game. I cannot start it. I crash to desktop, whether i continue or try to start a new game. I lost my game. Go ahead, point out that yes, you say it is a beta. I lost my game. I had to green check everything, and the game still won't start. Steam downloaded alot of information, but it didn't help. I have no idea what i am supposed to do now. I don't care that you are a tech, and you can talk all your stuff Dark0ne. You can say i am not helpful. that sounds arrogant. i am the player. you are the tech. You took my game away. I will not forget that.
GermAntibody wrote: are you guys for real? I've lost my game a dozen times due to beta testing the manager. That's how it works! It's a beta test! That's right, he's the tech, it's his job to set out guidelines on about what we can expect when we take the program into our own hands. One of the things we can expect is beta errors and that's always been clear, since the first beta of anything ever in software. Don't be a fool. It's not arrogant of him to say you're not helpful, because you're not f*#@ing helpful. You could help this COMMUNITY of people avoid the problem you happened to have. You could understand that a software failure doesn't make you special and it certainly doesn't mean youre owed anything, it means your hobby software needs some loving and attention to get it straightened out. Have you ever shot a gun? walked a dog? done ANYTHING? You have to feed your dog and clean your gun, sometimes even take one to a vet or a repair store. Do you get mad at the pound every time your dog gets sick? Realize that if you have hobbies they will occasionally have hurdles to get over and stop being such a self centered person. "I will not forget that" again sounds like a threat. YOU ARE WASTING YOUR LIFE. Fix it your damn self instead of blaming and attacking others in such a silly fashion. If your success are your own, so are your hurdles, your failures, your struggles. It's not someone else's fault just because it sucks. You don't deserve to beta test software if you call it "arrogant" that developers point out the FACT that if you don't help with detailed bug reports, they're being told to fix something by taking a shot in the dark, which YOU couldn't do EITHER.

I think the point is that NMM has been in beta for 4yrs, not even GOG took that long in beta. To me it seems NMM is now akin to Early Access games, always being updated never really "released". Ashal also said this when his program underwent a major upgrade and claimed "old versions will never be supported" as a justification. I will keep using my old version and backed it up on another drive, even if it stops the web integration, I'll just download manually and "drag-drop" into it. ;) Roll back if you don't like the changes. and always keep a backup. ;)

Jus installed the update and found the new system message after the update, before the update would have been better, but I guess you guys already know that. Now I have over 72 mods on my system just on Skyrim alone, I also have SKSE installed, hope that doesn't create a problem. So I went ahead and trusted the install and clicked yes. In the middle of the update there was an error and the whole thing shut down. Reopened the NMM and loaded up Skyriim mod section ( by the way did I mention I have 9 games modded via the NMM) any way none of my mods are active most likely a good thing since about 75 to 80 percent of them were active not to mention that there is a sequence to some of the installs that have to followed or they won't work. In other words I'm a bit annoyed, any way I still love you guys and find you to be the best mod site online.

I'll be posting later if I find any major issues with the install. I have to check all my games and install a few mods so it will be a while.

J

RadoGamer, I can attest that many people have been having this problem. I certainly experience it every time, but strangely enough 0.60.6 (and 0.60.11 alpha) both seem to do the file migration (mod reinstallation process) just fine.

If anything, you can revert back to 0.56.1 and restore your mods using the method I provided above. I've used it a few times already and can say that restoring mods that way works. :)

Also, whether or not you are for or against the new NMM, I would strongly suggest refraining from name calling and insults upon one another. In my opinion. it would just make matters worse. :sweat:

Thanks Kuno but I'll just go ahead and reinstall and see what issues if any, develop, I actually migrated the game a few months back to a new system, I have another installation that is a mirror copy of my NMM installation so I'm not too worried about it. It was just a bit disconcerting to see such a a daunting change all of a sudden. ;).

Being a die hard gamer and computer buff, I love a good challenge. NO insults meant I truly love this site and the modders here, I have had many communications with the devs and I have nothing but praises for them, obviously or I wouldn't be a supporter, but we all make mistakes. SO please under stand I actually have a high regard for developers as I happen to be one myself. Thanks for the suggestions I will keep them in mind.

In response to post #29341584. #29380449, #29406604 are all replies on the same post.

[email protected] wrote: I've been playing skyrim mods since the game was released, I really liked the NMM but this latest up date has ruined the game for me. half my mods will not install of the 205 mods I lost at least half. Needless to say I am not a happy camper. I wish there had been some more testing on it before it was released. I kind of feel like I have lost a whole bunch of my friend all at once...being an old man that is rather isolated it dose hurt...stupid I know but that is how it feels to me.
Ryos36 wrote: I couldn't agree more with you sir!
this latest update was released FAR TOO EARLY to be considered your normal, typical update. The rush of excitement of implementing something new can lead to several downfalls and unfortunately, THIS is one of them. My heart goes out to you. Don't let no silly update ruin the good times you logged into your game.
vixengamer wrote: yes. this was awful. i want my skyrim.

Reinstall.

In response to post #29406489. #29441169, #29450134 are all replies on the same post.

GermAntibody wrote: are you guys for real? I've lost my game a dozen times due to beta testing the manager. That's how it works! It's a beta test! That's right, he's the tech, it's his job to set out guidelines on about what we can expect when we take the program into our own hands. One of the things we can expect is beta errors and that's always been clear, since the first beta of anything ever in software. Don't be a fool. It's not arrogant of him to say you're not helpful, because you're not f*#@ing helpful. You could help this COMMUNITY of people avoid the problem you happened to have. You could understand that a software failure doesn't make you special and it certainly doesn't mean youre owed anything, it means your hobby software needs some loving and attention to get it straightened out. Have you ever shot a gun? walked a dog? done ANYTHING? You have to feed your dog and clean your gun, sometimes even take one to a vet or a repair store. Do you get mad at the pound every time your dog gets sick? Realize that if you have hobbies they will occasionally have hurdles to get over and stop being such a self centered person. "I will not forget that" again sounds like a threat. YOU ARE WASTING YOUR LIFE. Fix it your damn self instead of blaming and attacking others in such a silly fashion. If your success are your own, so are your hurdles, your failures, your struggles. It's not someone else's fault just because it sucks. You don't deserve to beta test software if you call it "arrogant" that developers point out the FACT that if you don't help with detailed bug reports, they're being told to fix something by taking a shot in the dark, which YOU couldn't do EITHER.
Alkpaz wrote: I think the point is that NMM has been in beta for 4yrs, not even GOG took that long in beta. To me it seems NMM is now akin to Early Access games, always being updated never really "released". Ashal also said this when his program underwent a major upgrade and claimed "old versions will never be supported" as a justification. I will keep using my old version and backed it up on another drive, even if it stops the web integration, I'll just download manually and "drag-drop" into it. ;) Roll back if you don't like the changes. and always keep a backup. ;)

So you lost access to Skyrim. You didn't lose your mods, your saves and game settings. I suggest you surgically remove the dead tissue that is Skyrim and your BETA version of NMM, and reinstall the game in a different folder, then use an older version of NMM, paste your mods/saves/settings back, re-arrange your NMM and you got your game back.

If you by chance already tried all this it means you were not informative enough for a player to help you, let alone a staff member of nexus to help you.