Xbox One Streaming to Windows 10?

Daiyus

So I've bitten he bullet and upgraded to Windows 10, and the miracle of all miracles has happened; I don't hate it! I've spent a long time getting my HTPC gaming set up right: controllers, wireless keyboard, big monitor, charging docks, headsets. The works. It's a gamers wet dream. I love being a PC gamer.

That said I started on consoles as a teenager and Halo was a large part of that. I've since got rid of my old hardware and games but I'm feeling the itch. I'm tempted to pick up an Xbox One to play Halo again. With the new streaming feature it could be amazing. My PC setup is already in place; if the streaming works it would mean I don't need to attach the Xbox One to the monitor and rebind my bluetooth headphones and xbox controller every time I want to play the Xbox One. It could just boot up and stream wireless through the existing hardware and framework.

It sounds almost too good to be true, so I'm wondering if anybody else has tried this? Reviews on the internet seem to be widely mixed. I'm not a graphics snob, a little degradation won't bother me as long as it's playable (heck, half the games I play are over 7 years old). A little feedback from "real people" would be really good for me to decide if this is worth pursuing.

You can run your Xbox one through your pc entirely as long as you set it up initially, Obviously your Xbox will need to be set to "Instant-on" in order for your pc to turn it on remotely and you'll still need to insert the disc in to play the game (but that was obvious right) there is at best a second or so of input lag which would be noticable if you were to run online versus or some other fast paced game mode.

I haven't tested it recently so I can't give accurate instructions on it but essentially this works and even allows you to play in full screen on your pc and you can even plug in and play another console (PS3/Xbox 360) into the HDMI in port on the back of the Xbox and then should be able to stream that to the pc also (not tested this one yet)

If you need any more info I will be happy to try and provide what I can knowledge wise :)

I've not tried the streaming (I'm actually currently waiting on a new Xbox One so I can't even test), but just speaking of Halo on Xbox One (I'm assuming you mean via MCC since 5 isn't out yet; again will be able to comment on 5 once it comes out), I think MCC is largely a success but not across the board. Having played every Halo game on every platform they exist on (except Halo 4 (seen it on 360, only beaten it on XB1) and Halo 2 PC (was very slow to upgrade to DX10)), I feel that Halo Combat Evolved ("Halo 1") is best on PC, and second best on original Xbox. The Xbox 360 remaster, and Xbox One port of that, incur too much input latency to make the final levels enjoyable (I finally gave up on XB1; on PC I beat the library/flood level in a single attempt, on XB1 after 4 hours of excruciating repeated attempts I gave up - that's all due to input lag), Halo 2 on Xbox One is very similar to the "original" experience, and Halo 3/4 are absolutely fantastic (imho best experience for 3/4 is on XB1). My point is, if you're going after the XB1 for Halo, make sure you know what you're getting into. If Combat Evolved is your primary focus, just pick it up for PC - it works fine in Windows 7x64 (and I would assume in 8 and 10 too), and Halo 2 is also available if you're interested. Halo 3 and 4 require a console, as will Halo 5 from what I understand.

As far as re-binding controllers and such, you can directly plug the Xbox controller into the Xbox via USB, and it should otherwise automatically bind to the console on start-up (years ago when I lived with roommates, we had multiple 360s and could literally just drag 360 controllers into one room and they'd all automatically "work it out" with a single console, and then take everything back to its respective "home" and it'd also automatically figure it out - I'm assuming that still works on XB1 too). No idea about the headset - I have all of my equipment hard-wired and just flip switches as needed. :happy:

Thanks for the tips guys. Finally got the Xbox One last Friday (£150 from a colleague, what a steal!) and I'm enjoying having a console again. I've tried the streaming and got it working, although my Wi-Fi is pretty bad (still on a 2.4Ghz Single Band Router) so I'll need to hard-wire everything at some point to get it running well.

obobski; thank you for the hands-on guide for the MCC. It'll be interesting to try myself. I do have the PC version of Halo: Combat Evolved at least so if it is as bad as you say I've got that fall back. I'm glad to see the other titles that aren't available on PC (the ones I really got the console for) run well enough. I'll be trading in my old 360 and stack of games this afternoon; fingers crossed they have a copy of Halo: MCC and Forza Horizon 2 in stock.

obobski; thank you for the hands-on guide for the MCC. It'll be interesting to try myself. I do have the PC version of Halo: Combat Evolved at least so if it is as bad as you say I've got that fall back. I'm glad to see the other titles that aren't available on PC (the ones I really got the console for) run well enough. I'll be trading in my old 360 and stack of games this afternoon; fingers crossed they have a copy of Halo: MCC and Forza Horizon 2 in stock.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Forza - I know that's totally OT. :ninja:

WRT Halo Combat Evolved, the MCC edition is absolutely perfect if you just want to go plod around in it on XB1 - the Cartographer levels look better than ever, and so do all of the levels on Covenant Ships. But if you're after the complete 1P play-through experience, it fall shorts imho. Also worth pointing out that MCC has all levels/campaigns in all four games unlocked from the beginning (at least for me it did), so if there's a section you really despise (or just want to get straight into) you can jump right to it. Very nice for "quick play" too. Another good "remake" for Xbox One is the Metro Redux collection - haven't gotten into the sequel yet, but the original looks and plays fantastically.

I'd be interested in thoughts on Forza - I know that's totally OT. :ninja:

WRT Halo Combat Evolved, the MCC edition is absolutely perfect if you just want to go plod around in it on XB1 - the Cartographer levels look better than ever, and so do all of the levels on Covenant Ships. But if you're after the complete 1P play-through experience, it fall shorts imho. Also worth pointing out that MCC has all levels/campaigns in all four games unlocked from the beginning (at least for me it did), so if there's a section you really despise (or just want to get straight into) you can jump right to it. Very nice for "quick play" too. Another good "remake" for Xbox One is the Metro Redux collection - haven't gotten into the sequel yet, but the original looks and plays fantastically.

I haven't actually played any Metro games yet; I'd imagine I'd grab the PC versions though if I were to go that route. MCC is certainly a good package, I've only played Pillar of Autumn so far but it looked really good, and the smooth 60FPS definitely helps. I've only done one mission on MCC because I've been completely addicted to Forza. If you're into open world racers and don't mind simcade handling it is quite simply the best racing game on the planet right now. Customisation options up the wazoo, with tuning on top of that to fine-tune your cars. Excellently crafted world; seriously, it makes me want to buy a sports car and get down to the Mediterranean (not too hard for me, I'm in the UK). If you're in any doubt about buying you can always try the demo though.