Oblivion Freezing on Combat Start & End

Just a random idea: does Enhanced Music and Control 2 make any difference? Probably will not make any difference, but if you do not have any other ideas, it might be worth a try. Or might not, I do not know. At least it makes the music experience a bit smoother, I think. If you use MO, make sure to put all OBSE plugins in the actual game folder and follow the instructions on installing the mod (like erasing all file details, covers and such).

I am not an expert when it comes to this sort of things, this is just a random suggestion. If it fails (probably will), just ignore it. :tongue:

Tried it didn't make any difference with the music track changes, still stutters horribly. I think it might be driver related tho, mainly due to me also getting it in Morrowind.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where you live, but here in Canada I go to any one of a number of Canada Computers stores for much of my hardware.

There are cheaper ones available from other manufacturers, but this PCI-E slot card from Creative would be an option: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 - PCI-E Sound Card

EMC/EMC2 disable the Oblivion music player and use a DirectShow player instead, which doesn't depends on the game.

If you get the stutter with EMC2 too, there's a chance the problem is not in the game.

Stutters may happens for several reason, including a onboard sound card (my onboard sound card doesn't cause them, but it means nothing), bad codecs, disk fragmentation or even a faulty/near-broken hardware.

Have you tried, outside of the game, to play the tracks in the Oblivion music folders, and quickly tap the "next track" button? Does it stutter here as well?

Edited by forli

EMC/EMC2 disable the Oblivion music player and use a DirectShow player instead, which doesn't depends on the game.

If you get the stutter with EMC2 too, there's a chance the problem is not in the game.

Stutters may happens for several reason, including a onboard sound card (my onboard sound card doesn't cause them, but it means nothing), bad codecs, disk fragmentation or even a faulty/near-broken hardware.

Have you tried, outside of the game, to play the tracks in the Oblivion music folders, and quickly tap the "next track" button? Does it stutter here as well?

When I tried that it started stuttering pretty bad. Every few seconds I'd get periodic freezes for up to 2 seconds, making the game unplayable.

Have you tried the second test?

just a guess, maybe your this is a case of mod conflict or program conflict.

Try not using OBGE if you're using it

and try close any program such as winamp, chrome, or anything related to multimedia audio

I have crashing issue when try run Oblivion with chrome browser both open, after close chrome. the game runs alright

check for other program that not open in foreground, maybe some program is crashing with oblivion.

Well after countless hours of trying to figure out the issue, I was able to finally limit it down to a bad codec. I've uninstalled all my codecs and installed K-Lite which seemed to have fixed my issue(I've also done a full reinstallation of Oblivion).

This also fixed my issue in Morrowind. Apparently the codec that caused the issue was the DVIX one. So if anyone has the same issue, try uninstalling it and install the K-Lite codec pack.

I would like to thank Striker879 and everyone else who helped me get this issue resolved! You all were immensely helpful and I really appreciated the help.

• 5 months later...

Well after countless hours of trying to figure out the issue, I was able to finally limit it down to a bad codec. I've uninstalled all my codecs and installed K-Lite which seemed to have fixed my issue(I've also done a full reinstallation of Oblivion).

This also fixed my issue in Morrowind. Apparently the codec that caused the issue was the DVIX one. So if anyone has the same issue, try uninstalling it and install the K-Lite codec pack.

I would like to thank Striker879 and everyone else who helped me get this issue resolved! You all were immensely helpful and I really appreciated the help.

Thanks man, it's been bugging me all day. Thank god I found this because this problem was driving me insane lol.

• 2 weeks later...

SUPER Thanks for posting your fix. This has been bugging me something awful for over a week, and the only fix i could find was turning off the music. All I did was uninstall DivX, and I'm happy :D

• 9 months later...