Oblivion Freezing on Combat Start & End

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been having a serious issue like this in both Morrowind and Oblivion. Every time I engaged in combat, hit an enemy or killed one, the game lags and freezes for a split second. Thinking nothing of it, I uninstalled Razer Game Booster and upon booting these games again, they ran without a hitch. Max settings, 1080p, 60fps (actually in the triple digits realm with vsync turn off). I won't be using Razer Game Booster EVER AGAIN. I've had this issue for months and thought it was failing hardware! In other words, if ANYONE else is having this issue and has the program installed, UNINSTALL IT NOW AND REBOOT. Hope this helps someone else as it is a pretty popular program. Runs flawlessly on 64bit Windows 10.

• 7 months later...

Hello, I'm having exactly the same problem with a soundcard that seems to be from realtek (I'm not sure, I'm using a gaming laptop but my sound drivers are from realtek). I'd like to know which codec pack you guys used to fix the problem. I go to this website: https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm but there are too many options. Also, do I have to uninstall all my codecs and then install the k-lite ones?

• 2 years later...

Ok, so. This thread was a lifesaver. My issue was the same as @OP. Stutter on enter/exit combat. I dont have music or sound mods. First playthrough so trying to stay as original as possible. Mostly just graphics upgrades. Anyway, disabling music in .ini didnt work. Installing k lite didnt work...at first. My particular issue was Divx as well. Its codecs were not compatible. After uninstalling Divx and reinstalling k lite standard with a quick install, the stutter was reduced significantly. I still notice a stutter when entering/exiting combat but, its literally only a fraction of a second. Not even half a second. More like one tenth. So, thank you all for the diligence and the replies! Onwards to save Tamriel!

P.S. Again, I can't thank you all enough as I'm playing Oblivion for the first time so this is greatly appreciated! After Oblivion I'm moving on to Morrowind. Then Daggerfall and Arena. Or whatever the reverse order is. Exciting times! Cheers!

Pellape>

Did you notice any improvement in game performance when you used Performance Sounds?

Did you also notice any reduction in sound quality or reduced volume for the sound files that got replaced?

Edited by AllisterHenderson

• 1 year later...