how to run 2 copies of patched up Morrowind ; )

vilontano

My current MW install is in the usual directory - it's been a bit wonky with crashes so I would like to do a clean install in another directory - C -, while leaving the current one in place....

My questions are:
can I do this for a game that will be patched with the unofficial patch, code patch and optimizer by slip stream?

what is the order of the load/patches?
I think they are: (GOTY) MW- Tribunal - Blood Moon - unofficial patch - code patch and then slip stream's optimizer
but I'm not sure

Can I use my current install of MWSE - just point it to the new install ? if not do I have to uninstall my current MWSE and then reinstall? or can I run two copies of MWSE

any help appreciated

I'd try copying and pasting your existing install into the new directory. Then run Yacoby's Morrowind Mod File Remover. After that double check that files from MGE, MGE XE, MWSE etc have been deleted (not sure if Yacoby's program copes with those) and delete them manually if needs be.

If needed, install order is Morrowind > Tribunal > Bloodmoon > official patch (not needed for GoTY) > MCP > (optional) 4GB patch and/or Timeslip's EXE Optimiser

Unofficial patch is a mod and doesn't affect the EXE

MWSE needs to be installed in each MW directory. Or use MGE / MGE XE's built-in MWSE.

On install Morrowind writes to registry with its install location, you may run into trouble with some third party tools picking up on original location. Just manually re-point them at clean install.

Start clean install from a new shortcut

The problem you run into is the Windows registry will not recognize more than one copy of the game in one location. :pinch:

I did a WIKI a long time ago on how to do it in Oblivion. The same technique should work in MW

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Dual_Oblivion

Here is a much better multiple Oblivion tool. I don't know if it will work with MW or not. http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35263/?

And still another: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/41271/?

Maybe one of those could be adapted to work with MW?

Another possible option is the NMM v0.60.xx beta which has multiple profiles available - Be SURE to back up your game, mod lists, save games and anything else before using it.

I'm not sure if the Mod Organizer program will work with MW or not, but it also has multiple profiles

@dragon 32

thanks for the reply - if I understand you correctly the unofficial patch can be applied AFTER or Before the exe is patched with the code patch and the optimizer?

I'm wondering if I could run a clean install to make sure I patch the MW exe properly (I realize something went wrong with the code patch because I need to use mods to fix things the patch should have corrected - like the water level problem in some interiors)
and then just Copy and Paste the new exe (and ini ?) into my current set up?

The unofficial patch is a mod (an ESM) and doesn't patch the EXE. You can use it with an unaltered EXE or one that's been patched with MCP, EXE Opt, whatever you want.

MCP creates a backup of your original EXE and then applies its changes to a copy.