Best Random mod? Is it SOT?

MarkAmikaze

Hi, I like the Sands of Time, but some of the Lore-friendliness is kind of on the edge.

The experience of encountering random groups of bandits, mages, and critters is one of the most impressive game play upgrades that I've experienced in Skyrim. Epic skirmishes occurred in the Wilds as the Follow Me mod put the pressure on and forced me to think bigger, choosing the terrain where I would engage my foes. Randomness can be so sweet.

My question is whether SOT Ultimate Deadly Encounters is the pent-ultimate, or should I be exploring further with other mods? I loved exploring the world outside of quests as a student of the Voice. When I added randomness, it was like having new life injected into the game I wanted to continue to love.

Anyone else find random mods to be a big part of what brings them back to play more?

Edited by MarkAmikaze

I use Immersive Creatures and OBIS (With Patrols) so far. Im not a fan of SoT becuase of all the scripts it uses. Plus it sucks if you wanna make a mage char, since it disables all starting spells.

But Immersive Creatures and OBIS have done an ok job so far. :D

Warzones is a mod you wanna play by itself lol, heavy problems with it. SoT is certainly a candidate for the best in class, if its not your cuppa tea you might look at mods like ASIS and its plugins, SIC as mentioned above is great, and Genesis, which was born outta SoT, is great too (I use all the above mods except warzones).

I think SkyRE had some stuff to go with its perk system too

Yeah, I guess with SOT I felt like I was playing a zombie horde game. The down times between the combat in Skyrim can't be eliminated without ruining the feel of the RPG. It sort of reminded me of FPS's and the 'kills per minute' mindset.

I will have a look at Genesis.

I used ASIS in the past, but the warning about the random aspects breaking my game stopped me from exploring the option. Have you tried it with success? I'd like to know a general idea of how you set it up if so.

My pc is almost too old, so I can't play Warzones or the OBIS without crippling my game. Though I think Immersive Creatures is too heavy.

2.8 ghz with 512mb GPU 2g ram (to make y'all feel better if you are looking at the next guy's pc with envy) :)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by MarkAmikaze

OBIS and SIC are hardly even in the same category as SOT. The former diversify enemy spawns, the latter adds a ton of (dynamic) spawn points among other things. I use the former two + a custom selection of other monsters from monster resources I implemented in my game.

Should've mentioned i dont use ASIS now also, but yeah the whole patching thing really got to me, i like to control my own game. I only used the core and encounter zones and never really found anything to "break".

Everyone has different opinions on how theyd like to have their spawn/encounter rates, we can all say we want more of this or that but you simply cannot deliver everyones idea of what that is in a mod if you get what i mean. So we end up with all these mods that have vast amounts of customization and patchers etc, but what everyone really wants is a golden goose of a mod that fits them perfectly. Theyd probably find better success if they just made "presets" users could choose from rather than a base system that is geared toward the makers preference/vision and a whole lot of customization options that mainstream users either cant understand, have to fiddle with too much and they break stuff or have to use complicated programs theyve never had experience with.

For example, i hate that everything has to level up with me. Common bandits and the like shouldnt always provide me a challenge, maybe their "leader" perhaps and i also hate this because every dungeon i enter is going to be ready for me, never mind whos inside. This makes the game much to linear for me. But we all complain about becoming a demi god lol when indeed thats what we should be in the end, but then making it so every area has a level you need to be makes the game fairly linear as well, albeit IMO much nicer to play. So mods that change areas to be a certain level before i can go there suit me well. The next guy will say he wants everyone to be a challenge, no matter their character type. Then the next guy wants be handed his liver by every common skeever because hes a glutton for punishment. Immersion is what you make of it really.

I will say i am finding myself playing with the options a lot for SoT. Ive only had it installed for a bit over 10 hours of play now, previous playthrough i had only SIC and lore friendly MoMod and a few other small addons.

Yes, streamlined and easy customization is a great gift from mod creators. A very nice contribution to the community.

I liked the variability of SOT, finding that personal balance is worth the trouble. Genesis seems like it might be easier for me to get there, I just reinstalled skyrim and spent about 15 hours modding and learning to mod. (I figured I'd try and do it right this time.) Finally got it to a starting point, just gotta imagine the RP.

Here's what I think I will start with:

A Quality World Map NEW (to me)

Alternate Start - Live Another Life NEW

Auto Unequip Ammo NEW

Categorized Favorites Menu

Character Creation Overhaul

Dark Dungeons NEW

Deadly Dragons NEW

Follow Me

Genesis NEW

Immersive HUD NEW

No Sneak Attack Sound

Realistic Needs and Diseases

skse & Sky UI

Sounds of Skyrim Trilogy

Tougher Traps

Ultimate Combat NEW

Realistic Lighting Overhaul NEW

I had planned to try Frostfall, but I think my pc specs are too low. I'm just glad that RN&D plays for me. Can't wait to see if Genesis plays as well as I hope. Thanks again.

Edited by MarkAmikaze

Contrary to Boombro, RNAD is much nicer than other needs mods. But yeah whatever suit you.

You might also look at Audio overgaul instead of SoS and also Improved Horse Step Sounds.

Deadly dragons is known for CTDs and generally OP dragons, you might consider Ultimate Dragons instead