Change Dawnguard / Hearthfire / Dragonborn voices

mrxdylan85

Hello there, here's my problem :

I'm French, and even if i speak english "correctly" ( i guess ) , i don't really like how skyrim sounds when i try to play it with english voices ... But considering i'm using mods such as Perkus Maximus , i HAVE to use the game in English for it to work properly ( if an item have it's name in French, it won't change the stats , so it have to stay like that ) !

I actualy found a solution for a part of my problem by changing the voices / voices extra.bsa files by the French ones , so my game is in english and the voices are in french. And then , here's why i come here ... My dawnguard / hearthfire and dragonborn files are in english, and i don't have a clue how to change the voices ( only the voices ) to french ( some of them add items , like dawnguard with the crossbows , so i need the text to stay in english for perkus maximus to patch correctly )

So i was wondering ... Is there a way to sort of ... "Unzip" the BSA file, so i could pick up the French voices , and then transfer them to the english original file ? ( like i did with the voices of the basic files of the game )

Sorry if this was already asked, that's being a little picky for nothing much ... But i really can't stand the way they talk in English, there's too many situations where you don't hear them correctly and not being a native english speaker , i don't understand them if they're behind some walls , this kind of things ...

(By the way , i tried to open the bsa file with BSAopt, but i don't have a clue how you extract the voice files ...

The voices folder is in sound folder.
In the upper screen, press browse and look for the bsa. In this case, I'm using downguard.

You expand on the folder to sounds>voices> Skyrim or DG.

You will notice that every voice type has folder of it own. Now press the folder, and in the bottom screen a list will appear.

You can now unpack.

By the way, you English is very good. But you forgot to capitalize your I, and there is not need to capitalize words after more than one period. Same goes for the word English.

You mean that, in Voices , I gotta press every single strings and then press unpack , one by one ( there's no way to unpack like the whole voice folder ("x ?? )

And once unpacked , how do I put these "voice files" in the english dawnguard.bsa ? ( I'm using Mod Organizer to install everything; i wanted to just create my own and modified extensions file and reinstall them to my initial setup ! )

Thanks ! To be honest , i don't even forget, i just hate to capitalize them ( we don't have anything working this way in French ) , is this really important ( like do people really feel the need to do so ? What's the point ? )

And thanks for the advice on capitalizing words more than once, i didn't know that at all ! ( In French you capitalize them every time you use them, or at least you're "supposed to" )

And once unpacked , how do I put these "voice files" in the english dawnguard.bsa ? ( I'm using Mod Organizer to install everything; i wanted to just create my own and modified extensions file and reinstall them to my initial setup ! )

Do voice files have the very same names? If so, copy paste. If this didn't work, you may have to do it bu hand in the ck.

Thanks ! To be honest , i don't even forget, i just hate to capitalize them ( we don't have anything working this way in French ) , is this really important ( like do people really feel the need to do so ? What's the point ? )

More for looks to be honest, it doesn't change the way it pronounced and not oral grammar. At least not as important as the spacing in this very sentence.

When one ends with punctuation (.,?!) mid sentence they don't press space and type it:

Thanks! To be honest, I don't event forgot. / ,is it really important?

And use a comma (,) before and, but, and as a listing:

Cat, dogs, birds and cows.

Regarding this bsa business, unless this works differently for the voices, but if you leave the extracted french voice files outside of the bsa, they should just override the bsa. The game is partial to loose files over bsas. But again maybe this doesnt work for voices. Works for anything else, including scripts.

Well, it's the same in French, i always do these mistakes ( puting a space before a "," "." )

So i got the voice files from the French version of dawnguard unpacked in a folder ... Now how do i .. rebuild the bsa after switching the voice files ? ("x !

EDIT : If i use mod organizer, the files in MO will overwrite the files in my skyrim folder, right ? That's what i fear and why i just want to create a new BSA to then use it as my "own working DLC file" in MO !

Edited by mrxdylan85

Okay, i tried to repack the loose file into a BSA , but when i try , i get a bsa file with like 706ko , and i don't understand why xD ... The folder with the loose files is 1,67go / 1,10go ( dragonborn and dawnguard ; i didn't unpack hearthfire, since i don't think there's any voice added with this extension )... I must be doing something wrong ... But i can't find out what ...

Edit : Same goes when i try to move the voice folder into the dragonborn.bsa ... The size of the file goes down from 1,67go to 1,44 go and i can't understand why ("x ...

Edited by mrxdylan85

If the file only went down to 1.44GB, then try and see if it works in your game. Maybe the tool is compressing it more? But if the file is 706KB, then this is not working.

I just feel like i'm not doing it right, but i can't find a way to make it work ... The thing is i'm making it so it doesn't compress anything , so it shouldn't change the size of the file ! ( The dragonborn.bsa size is the same for French / English, so it wouldn't make sense for it to change since i just want to switch some files ! )

Would be so easy if i could just repack the whole thing after switching the file manualy like a .rar ... I'm going to try to find another software ... Or some tutorial ...

EDIT : That's , i finaly found a way , i just unpacked the dg/db files, took boice their sound folder , put them into an .rar archive, and then simply used mod organizer to install them right after dragonborn and dawnguard ( and the unofficial patches ) and it worked; even if it didn't go as i expecet, but the result is here ! Thanks anyway guys !

Edited by mrxdylan85