Game keep on crashing 30 secs in

Ravito93

Hi,

I have a couple of mods installed (25) and had no trouble playing the last three days with those mods active. Today I went to Riften (which I had visited already before with all mods active) with my character and from then on my game kept on crashing. Any idea why? I didn't add any mods and somehow now there's a huge problem.

No idea because you havent posted your specs, modlist or any specific changes you might have made to INIs or even if you have ENB ;)

modlist :

FNIS

XP32

better males

CBBE

BBP

Tamriel reloaded

Bloodmoon rising

Skyre

Falskaar

unofficial Skyrim patch

Moonpath to Elsweyr

Better females

SKSE

SkyUI

Reproccer - automated Skyre Patch generator

all plugins active

DLCs :

Dawnguard

Dragonborn

Skyrim.ini :

[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
uGridsToLoad=9
uInterior Cell Buffer=50
uExterior Cell Buffer=100
[Display]
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
bAllowScreenshot=1
[Audio]
fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0
fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0
fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0
fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0
[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0
[GeneralWarnings]
SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.
[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa
[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000
[Combat]
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.64
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.64
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=0
bReflectLODLand=0
bReflectSky=0
bReflectLODTrees=0
SkyrimPrefs.ini:
[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=1
iRadialBlurLevel=0
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=0
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=2000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=1
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=0
fGamma=1.0000
fDecalLOD2=1500.0000
fDecalLOD1=1000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=0
fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000
fLightLODStartFade=0
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=0
iMultiSample=1
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=0
bDrawLandShadows=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=2048.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=2844.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=3072
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=4096
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=0
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=0
bFloatPointRenderTarget=0
fShadowBiasScale=0.5
iShadowMaskQuarter=3
iShadowMapResolution=512
bFXAAEnabled=0
iShadowFilter=3
bShadowsOnGrass=1
bTransparencyMultisampling=0
Did I miss any pertinent info?

I note that you have both the Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLCs, but not the Unofficial patches for both of them. This can cause problems after a certain amount of time. (e.g. Your character hits a certain level and a new quest becomes available.)

Get the patches at:

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

If that doesn't help, check to see if any of the mods you have require the Hearthguard DLC (due to the mod using assets thereof.) Might be that is what is tripping you up. If so, either get the Hearthguard DLC or remove the mod(s).

If that doesn't work, go into your Nexus Mod Manager (you are using NMM, yes?) -click on the "Plugins" tab. You will now see your mod's plugins listed with a checkbox next to each one. Uncheck each one EXCEPT FOR THE FOLLOWING: Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp, Dawnguard.esm, Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp, Dragonborn.esm, Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp, Hearthfires.esm, Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp, SkyUI.esp.

Now restart your game. If you can play for (what seems to you) a reasonable amount of time without crashing, then you can rule out game settings as a problem. (See below for more on settings.)

Quit out of the game. Go back into NMM and choose one plugin and recheck mark it. Restart your game. Do you crash? Bingo! You just found at least one mod that is giving you a problem. Go to the Mod's page and carefully read it to see what it might be having a problem with. Chances are that you won't crash with the first couple of mods your re-enable. Most likely you will crash when two (or more) mods conflict. This is a tedious way to troubleshoot, true. But it will definitely help you pin-point mod conflicts. Once you've figured out which mods won't work, check their pages to see WHY they won't work. It will usually (but not always) be a conflict with another mod. There may be a patch available to fix the conflict. Maybe the mod is modular and you simply need to re-install with some parts of the mod omitted to prevent a conflict. Read, read, READ the descriptions of each mod and save yourself guesswork.

Game Settings.

Since you didn't include your rig's info (especially what GPU you have) I don't know if you're pushing your system too hard. Skyrim may be over three years old, but it's still a pretty demanding game. If all of the above does not stop you from crashing, go into your options and turn settings down a notch (or two) and restart. See if that gives you more stability.

NOTE: If you are using SKSE (and you should be from now on) -you cannot get into your settings from the SKSE shortcut. instead, either start your game from your TESV.exe Or using the "Launch Skyrim" button in NMM. Either way, click on "Options", adjust your settings down a bit, then try restarting through SKSE again.

Now if the above troubleshooting actually solved all your crashing issues, and your GPU is rather beefy (2GB of GDDR5 memory or better) you might want to try turning up the settings a bit to make the game look better. Try just a few notches on a few settings then test the game. If it's still stable, try bumping up your settings a bit more.

I note that you have both the Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLCs, but not the Unofficial patches for both of them. This can cause problems after a certain amount of time. (e.g. Your character hits a certain level and a new quest becomes available.)

Thanks, I'll try it out :wink: it's true that I just met the requirements for dragonborn (fought my first dragon not too long ago), so I think it's possible that there's an issue there

:edit: Still crashes :sad: Neither does disabling the plugins you said or lowering the game to low quality. I do believe it is related to dragonborn due to the recent requirement fullfilments though.

I'm not a PC gamer and am fairly unfamilliar with where or what my "rig's info" is, so if you can tell me where i can find it that'd be great :) I did however use the site "canyourunit" to estimate if my PC could handle the game and it put my PC about right in the middle between minimum and optimal requirements.

Edited by Ravito93

Given your OP, there could be a number of things going wrong. Is this crash persistent in Riften only or just in general it crashes now? Did you make any, even a single change to your mods since the time you started crashing?

If you want ot get your PC specs easy, just right click on my computer, select properties. It will give you a page with some basic info such as CPU, RAM and GFX card.

I added the three unofficial patches since the start of the problem. I had a few crashes before arriving in riften (and as said i visited riften before to join the thieves guild and it crashes now that I have to go to that place with the beehives) but it happened rarely (maybe one crash every 3-4 hours)

Here are my PC specs (tell me if i missed some info) :

Windows 7

Processor : intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB

System type : 64-bit operating system

Edited by Ravito93

Hm, maybe I'm wrong, but

"uGridsToLoad=9"

seems to be a bit high for a notebook setup.

already tried to change it from 9 to 7, causing my game to crash right after i click continue in the menu screen, so i put it back on 9. I originally added this line to allow sniping from afar optimizing the Skyre longbow build

Lololol my rig cant even handle 9. You need Safety Load, you cant use a save thats had high ugrids and then revert it without it. The game wont load.