ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Companion weapons with mods.

Aurum10000

As far as I'm aware, it can't be fixed.

That's the way that the game works. If you want your companion to have a modded weapon, the only way I know to do it is to create a weapon that as its base weapon (un-modded), it has the same look and stats as the modded version you want the companion to use. Then when you give your companion this "modded" weapon, it's not really modded according to the game engine, so the companion gets the weapon as you want it.

Whenever I try to give a companion a modded weapon it shows up and sounds like a vanilla weapon. Can anyone make a mod that fixes this?

Yes, but it would be a good sized project if it was done the way I'm brainstorming it.

We have functions (getWeaponItemMod* and setWeaponItemMod*) to grab and alter weapon mod attributes, with those tools we have the ability to do this via script. Essentially by using the getWeaponItemMod* functions to figure out what mods a weapon has and switching them out for a new weapon form (lets call it fakeWeaponForm) that mimics a modded weapon. This has the advantage that it will not only reflect the visual attributes of a weapon, but will also mimic the other attributes of a modded weapon (ie lower weight, higher fire rate etc, whatever you deem important enough to go into the new form) for the NPC using it.

A quest script checking your companions for new weapons would be much more bullet proof than an object script on each weapon running a Begin onAdd (won't get overwritten), but the onAdd would work for *every* NPC that picks the weapon up. Plus another block, onAdd player in an object script (attached to weapon) would be an easy way to remove the fakeWeaponForm and swap it with the vanilla weapon with the correct mod inexes.

There's still a lot of book keeping to do, though. For instance grabbing the fakeWeaponForm health and adding the vanilla weapon with the equivalent correct health (AddItemHealthPercent) would be essential. In addition you have to add the fakeWeaponForms to all the appropriate form lists so you can gain their benefits, although that only has to be done once and can be a separate script.

Probably lots of other details that would need to be attended to.

I could probably struggle through the obj script method since the scripts are fairly small and I'm not a scripter, however the quest script method would be a real drain on my time and probably above my pay grade anyway.

I need to work on bringing some shorties into the wasteland (among several other projects) but if your interested I could whip up a demo of a weapon or two to act as an example. If that's something you'd like, choose a few favorite weapons you use commonly with your companions and I'll focus on one or two of them.

Whenever I try to give a companion a modded weapon it shows up and sounds like a vanilla weapon. Can anyone make a mod that fixes this?

Yes, but it would be a good sized project if it was done the way I'm brainstorming it.

We have functions (getWeaponItemMod* and setWeaponItemMod*) to grab and alter weapon mod attributes, with those tools we have the ability to do this via script. Essentially by using the getWeaponItemMod* functions to figure out what mods a weapon has and switching them out for a new weapon form (lets call it fakeWeaponForm) that mimics a modded weapon. This has the advantage that it will not only reflect the visual attributes of a weapon, but will also mimic the other attributes of a modded weapon (ie lower weight, higher fire rate etc, whatever you deem important enough to go into the new form) for the NPC using it.

A quest script checking your companions for new weapons would be much more bullet proof than an object script on each weapon running a Begin onAdd (won't get overwritten), but the onAdd would work for *every* NPC that picks the weapon up. Plus another block, onAdd player in an object script (attached to weapon) would be an easy way to remove the fakeWeaponForm and swap it with the vanilla weapon with the correct mod inexes.

There's still a lot of book keeping to do, though. For instance grabbing the fakeWeaponForm health and adding the vanilla weapon with the equivalent correct health (AddItemHealthPercent) would be essential. In addition you have to add the fakeWeaponForms to all the appropriate form lists so you can gain their benefits, although that only has to be done once and can be a separate script.

Probably lots of other details that would need to be attended to.

I could probably struggle through the obj script method since the scripts are fairly small and I'm not a scripter, however the quest script method would be a real drain on my time and probably above my pay grade anyway.

I need to work on bringing some shorties into the wasteland (among several other projects) but if your interested I could whip up a demo of a weapon or two to act as an example. If that's something you'd like, choose a few favorite weapons you use commonly with your companions and I'll focus on one or two of them.

I want all the weapons enabled to have mods on companions but if certain technical issues prevent that then it's fine. But thank you for responding.