TES V: what do you want to see?

poopgoblin

Open-ended quests with multiple ways of completing them, as well as the option to "fail" (ie. kill the person you were supposed to protect or drink a potion you're delivering to someone) and have these failures open up new possibilities rather than resulting in broken quests/re-loads (a la Morrowind) or god-like NPC's and items you just can't bring yourself to sell/drop because they are oh-so-important (hello Oblivion.) While I would like to see more weapons and armors, more miscellaneous gadgets would be nice too. By this I mean stuff you can actually use: like a compass, pocket watch or a fishing rod.

The problem with that is that Bethesda would have to script each and every possible outcome. That would mean that (say there are the same number of quests as in Oblivion) the game would have to be on about 16 disks and take half a day to install. It also would only be able to be run on a super-computer (that doesn't actually exist yet) because all that script would have to be checking if you drop that item you need to deliver or kill that person you have to talk to in order for it to find an appropriate response.

The only possible way for a game to have that level of realism would be to give the npcs AI in it's truest sense: Artificial Intelligence. The npcs would have to be able to adapt and learn. However, real AI is a long ways off. Maybe in TES IX they'd have AI.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, sorry i repeat what someone else mentioned but i dont really wanna trail through hundreds of comments to check...

anyways, i'd like to see some kid npcs in the next game, its too weird walking around seeing adults everywhere.

failing that an ability to marry npcs of opposite gender would be nice, provided you owned a home to put them in e.t.c...

the possiblities that would open up for modders is unthinkable *grins in an evil way*

anyways, i'd like to see some kid npcs in the next game, its too weird walking around seeing adults everywhere.

They'll never do it. If there were kids in the game, it would be possible to kill said kids, and child murder is a very heinous crime; some even think it's worse than adult murder. Either way, it would guarantee the game an M rating if not higher. Bethesda doesn't want that. I'll bet they were pissed when Oblivion's rating was raised.

failing that an ability to marry npcs of opposite gender would be nice, provided you owned a home to put them in e.t.c...

TES is an adventure/rpg. It focuses around doing quests and dungeon delving. If you want to settle down, get married, and have a family, go play the Sims.

TES is an adventure/rpg. It focuses around doing quests and dungeon delving. If you want to settle down, get married, and have a family, go play the Sims.

But if you want your Sims to travel to MagicTown and fight off a bunch of monsters who walk out of a big magic mirror, you're better off playing Oblivion instead.

Why can't we have the best of both worlds?

Well that wouldn't really make sense, now would it? How can one possibly settle down with a spouse and children, yet at the same time go adventuring? That's not really settling down, now is it? Unless, of course, you'd want to be a bad spouse and parent and never be around for your family. However, then you'd end up with a divorce, or, since divorces really don't exist in Tamriel, your family will simply leave you. Then there wouldn't be much point to having a family, if they just end up leaving, right?

Well that wouldn't really make sense, now would it? How can one possibly settle down with a spouse and children, yet at the same time go adventuring? That's not really settling down, now is it? Unless, of course, you'd want to be a bad spouse and parent and never be around for your family. However, then you'd end up with a divorce, or, since divorces really don't exist in Tamriel, your family will simply leave you. Then there wouldn't be much point to having a family, if they just end up leaving, right?

What is a woman that you forsake her,

And the hearth-fire and the home-acre,

To go with the old grey Widow-maker?

The ability to go to any city in Tamriel, fight on horses, more npc and enemys.

Well I havent been far in the game.

But I would love to see horse driven chariots for Exploration or even Arena battles. But chariots that are fully destructable. Like you can lance off thier wheels etc.

okay, how about some breakable scenery... like chopping down trees or being able to smash furniture over your foes... :)

better yet, buyable castes with working defences systems, huge mangonels or catapults for example... :rolleyes: