Settlement Building Feels Off

Sirchase

Wasteland defence for New Vegas is a whole lot better then what Bethesda came up with. Did they actually play test this? No one saw the problem with walls and sloped terrain? Only one snap position if you use shack foundations to try and overcome terrain height? No simple tool to allign your wall with the border? It's a complete mess.

The only way to get something decent build is to cover half the ground with shack foundations and those should be at least twice as high to begin with for some of the terrain.

Basis of a succesfull safe settlement is decent walls. And as mentioned above, where are the sandbags?? The most basic defence materials. Every hostile location has them.

Will just have to wait for the geck, in the meantime all those dead settlers are on Bethesda ;-) :-)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasteland defence for New Vegas is a whole lot better then what Bethesda came up with. Did they actually play test this? No one saw the problem with walls and sloped terrain? Only one snap position if you use shack foundations to try and overcome terrain height? No simple tool to allign your wall with the border? It's a complete mess.

They showed some player made stuff in the E3. So it confusing for me. Snap worked no problem.

Will just have to wait for the geck, in the meantime all those dead settlers are on Bethesda ;-) :-)

Or patch, a fix or something like that.

It is pretty basic. I suspect their next attempt will be more fluid. Are there any other games of any other types that can do this? It's definitely a type of Minecraft-style building, problem is that the graphics and models aren't all simple cubes.

I can't see how it is minecraft like.

Some steam games that are survival based. Forest has a good one, but didn't play for almost a year on a friend's pc. However, applying it to all npcs houses it really time consuming.

It's probably closest to Rust for its building aspects and is still more developed than H1Z1 or 7 days to die.

The difference being that Rust was designed as a building sandbox game primarily so does it slightly better, meanwhile Fallout 4 is primarily a Bethesda open world game which just has building elements patched into its now aging engine. In a way, it's actually pretty good that they've been able to do what they have with the engine. To not only create and associate new static elements with the world, but also setting up navmesh as well as packaging based on what is placed in a settlement. Similar things for FO3 or Skyrim would have required either extensive scripting or pre-defined buildings that just had their state toggled (such as the case with Hearthfire in Skyrim). So while yes, it is not a perfect system we have here, much of what does exist is pretty damn good all things considered.

That said, most the problems here are really related to one of three things... Limited set pieces, overly simplified UI, and having to negotiate around pre-existing set pieces. The good news is that modding can essentially fix all of these problems. The bad news is that we will likely need to wait until March before the toolkit is available for use. As for other issues, been finding that by using console to move things around with modpos and some memory editing to allow more building, things are actually tolerable. Can fully build out settlements and use console to move things closer together or do offsets, such as moving walls closer together, shifting a floor segment down to create a stepping platform, ect. Being able to disable some problematic setting objects also helps. Still can't do much about that awkward countertop in Covenant, and shifting a shop stall to clip through isn't that great of a solution, but it kinda sorta works.

You wanna write a guide about that great find, Vagrant0, I'm sure many would find what you find useful.

That right, it pretty dame good and what we wanted for so dame long from beth games, and it used for player houses in cities too. Can't wait to see what they will do to improve it in the latter games.

It doesn't need much to improve it. It just what you said, better ui and more items, will never say no to a rotate button. Expect of course, if beth never patched it or fixed by next year. Someone will need to fix that snap toggle or at lest meshes collisions. Maybe if nifskope came out.

Crafting feels off!?!? Well that's the understatement of the Century. Nothing works. At all. It is the WORST crafting system I have ever witnessed in any game I've played. Completely broken. And still it is the only aspect of the game I desperately wanted to work. Out of the 50 hours I've spent playing the game, I've spent 40 hours trying to get the settlements up to snuff and yet I haven't managed to make a single coherent wall or line of fence. I feel like I am losing my mind at this point. Also, WHO the hell decided that you can't upgrade/barricade pre-existing buildings? You're the lone wanderer- your son has been kidnapped- your only objective should be to find him as soon as possible... WHO in that situation has time to build a house from scratch, when you could board up 1 in about a million f*#@ing houses in the wasteland to spend the night in or serve as a base of operations and yet you cant even PLACE A f*#@ING DOOR!?!?! GAAAAH! IMBECILS! As you can tell I care a lot about the game, or its potential at least. Can anyone do SOMETHiNG about this travesty please I beg of you save me from the brink of madness.

WHO in that situation has time to build a house from scratch, when you could board up 1 in about a million f***ing houses in the wasteland

You can. There are many places to build in and around run down cottages and houses. You can also place you own stuff in npc houses that you helped.

your only objective should be to find him as soon as possible

Says who? You don't have it, you have the power not to. I know many who didn't. A buddy of many ran off to the east side looking for a swamp like place he saw in the E3, made a shack and now spends his days exploring the wastes being a dick to everything and everyone. Says he will RP that he thinks the kid's dead and that it.

You can also build after the MQ, just saying.

Can anyone do SOMETHiNG about this travesty please I beg of you save me from the brink of madness.

Maybe beth is making a patch to fix the system. Try to do something else.

The green jewel offers a house for 2000 caps, try that. Or the gas station.

Edited by Boombro

I think the most frustrating aspect of settlements is supply lines, there is no way to track where provisioners go and no way to cancel a supply line unless you find the provisioner which is so tedious a job, it puts me off settlement building and managing, obviously this applies also to the other settlers, because you never know what they are assigned to. A real nutcracker.

I think the most frustrating aspect of settlements is supply lines, there is no way to track where provisioners go and no way to cancel a supply line unless you find the provisioner which is so tedious a job, it puts me off settlement building and managing, obviously this applies also to the other settlers, because you never know what they are assigned to. A real nutcracker.

On the world map, press "c" this will display your provisioner network. The connections appear to be 2-way, but with the provisioner being counted against the the person totals for the settlement you initially send them from. For ease of use I typically have 2-3 provisioners running out of any settlement depending on how many other nearby settlements make sense to send them to based on road layout. You can usually encounter your provisioners moving along the roads, so if you have a route you want to re-assign you can just follow a road between points and then follow the provisioner to where they end up. Keeping your routes fairly short also helps (they certainly give you enough settlements to work with. For long route transports, your best bet is to try fast traveling between the points and looking around the settlement. Iit also helps to establish some sort of system for how you have your provisioners setup... Such as heavy armor for eastward, ligher armor for westward, gasmask and goggles for northward, assault goggles for southward. From this you can usually figure out where a provisioner is heading, and can figure out where they're from by trying to relocate them since the entry for their home won't be listed. When in doubt, just assign them all to farming at the current location (keeping equipment setup to keep them separate from farmers), then go back through one settlement at a time linking and moving as you go. It's teadious, but once you have most the settlements in an area established, you won't need to do it again.