Romance Nick Valentine

DarkFairy003

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could help if you want. I know how to script and work with the dialogue quests we would need to modify... Is there, like, a .txt document of all the dialogue text? It would make it easier to get the dialogue in there - we'd just copy/paste the text right in.

EDIT: Also, do we have any dialogue for romance idles - Romance specific stuff that Nick says when he's idling. I checked and most of the other romancable companions have around 10 or so.

Do the dialogues have LIP Files yet? Because if not, that is something we would need. I know back in the day they could be generated via the CK but I don't know about Fallout 4 yet... I'll do some digging.

EDIT2: well, just looked on Bethesda.Net forums and it looks like we can indeed generate LIP files via the CK. YAY!

Hey there! I've volunteered to help BetteCorvega with this mod, and having someone who knows how to script on board would be wonderful :)

Is there, like, a .txt document of all the dialogue text? It would make it easier to get the dialogue in there - we'd just copy/paste the text right in.

I agree, some kind of text file would definitely be helpful. We'll get one up and I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Also, do we have any dialogue for romance idles - Romance specific stuff that Nick says when he's idling. I checked and most of the other romancable companions have around 10 or so.

Bette mentioned this and the romance idle lines are in the works :) That's really helpful to know that we should be aiming for around 10 lines of dialogue though.

Do the dialogues have LIP Files yet? Because if not, that is something we would need. I know back in the day they could be generated via the CK but I don't know about Fallout 4 yet... I'll do some digging.

EDIT2: well, just looked on Bethesda.Net forums and it looks like we can indeed generate LIP files via the CK. YAY!

Yeah! I remember that the CK for Skyrim automatically generated LIP files from the .wav files you put in, so it would be a massive bummer if they got rid of this for FO4. Glad to see they haven't!

I could help if you want. I know how to script and work with the dialogue quests we would need to modify... Is there, like, a .txt document of all the dialogue text? It would make it easier to get the dialogue in there - we'd just copy/paste the text right in.

Thank you so much! Yes, please - if you know how to script then we would be overjoyed to have you helping out! I've been messing around in the ck and with some of the scripts - if you want, I can send them to you to take a look at (though I have no idea if I actually did anything useful or if my script editing would just break the game haha)

Okay, I implemented everything in the Google Drive additional dialogue list. By implemented I mean 'did everything but put the audio files in.' I'd do that too, but I'm not really sure how. If worst comes to worst, I could ask my friend, Kris Takahashi (the author of the Interesting NPCs mod for Skyrim) Anyway, someone is going to have to convert them to .xwm or .fuz and rename them to the nonsensical strings of numbers that the CK auto-generates dialogue audio names as. Oh, and generate the LIP files.

Plus, I think we/I are/is going to need to create a scene where the player declines the relationship at first and Nick propositions them again. So I'm gonna need some dialogue or something for that.

Is there an updated approval talk diagram or something I can use (I'm pretty sure the one up on Google Drives is outdated or something)?

Okay, I implemented everything in the Google Drive additional dialogue list. By implemented I mean 'did everything but put the audio files in.' I'd do that too, but I'm not really sure how. If worst comes to worst, I could ask my friend, Kris Takahashi (the author of the Interesting NPCs mod for Skyrim) Anyway, someone is going to have to convert them to .xwm or .fuz and rename them to the nonsensical strings of numbers that the CK auto-generates dialogue audio names as. Oh, and generate the LIP files.

Hey, I can do this :) I'll convert the .wav files from the dropbox and then put them up on dropbox in a new file.

Wow, there's been so much progress on this mod so quickly, this is fantastic!!

I've got limited computer access for a couple days but I will try my best to help out until I get back!

kiddo95, if you don't mind sharing the notes you have been taking while working on the mod I think that would be great (unless we're already getting past that point, wow!).

shadowslasher410, here is a link to the current version of the approval talk conversation diagram: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1cRRFNIdttUhAHtvF1O97YFmD1fCzNLh4gEL2QaG4luU/edit?usp=drive_web

I think it might say it is old but that is actually the current version.

I do have a dialogue option for your character declining the relationship as part of that fourth approval talk (the right arrow option, which I think is the same way it works on the current in game romances).

I also did come up with a version of the conversation that Nick can bring up later if you failed the charisma check on the flirt or if you declined the relationship the first time. In the conversation diagram I think I called it the alternate start or repeatable version. There's one new line for him to say to start the conversation, and then it would bring up the flirt option plus the other dialogue options from the end of his fourth approval talk (it looked like this is how it works on the other companions so I tried to mimic that).

I'd be more than happy to copy everything out of that diagram into a text doc if that's easier for you to work with but I won't be able to until I am back at my computer.

Regarding the idle/relationship lines, it looked to me like romanced companions only had somewhere around 6 or so romance specific lines for each catagory and the rest of the lines that show up when they are romanced were lines that also show up when you're friends, but I could be wrong. Right now I think I have 4 or 5 romance specific lines for each category, and the audio files for them should all be in dropbox in the separate wav files folder. We could totally still have more though (there's no reason we can't have extra anyway if we want to!).

Hey guys :smile:

Well, after a bit of tinkering (shadowslasher410 they have slightly changed the way you generate .lip files since Skyrim - I take it all back!) I have generated the .lip files from all the .wav files that were in BetteCorvega's dropbox.

I have the .lip files loose in a folder here, otherwise I have packaged them with their respective .wav files into a fuz file here.

Now, it's all working on my CK but I haven't had time to test it in game, so I'm just going to assume it's all working and if not let me know and I'll do some troubleshooting :wink:

Edited by SigridStorrada

Also, as a side note but one that we will have to consider when implementing the dialogue, the CK allows you to give the NPC a facial animation to use while saying a specific line of dialogue.

For, ahem, science, I tested all the available emotions out on Nicky and you can see the screenshots here.

I had a cursory look over the most frequent facial expressions Valentine uses in the vanilla game (so we can keep him in character as much as possible), and aside from the 'neutral' expression, he uses a lot of the 'concerned' expression when the player does something he if ethically iffy about, (lot of BoS missions fall under this category).

He also uses the 'happy' expression a lot when talking to a pc he has max affinity with, 'friendly' with a pc that he has high affinity with, 'irritated' with a pc that he has low affinity with, and 'angry' with a pc that has really pissed him off and that he is about to leave.

There's also a fair bit of the 'somber' expression during the Eddie Winter mission, too :'(

Anyway, I might be getting ahead of myself here, but I just thought that it was something for us to keep in mind. I'm happy to look further into it if you guys think that might be a worthwhile thing to do.