Romance Nick Valentine

DarkFairy003

Hey guys :smile:

Well, after a bit of tinkering (shadowslasher410 they have slightly changed the way you generate .lip files since Skyrim - I take it all back!) I have generated the .lip files from all the .wav files that were in BetteCorvega's dropbox.

I have the .lip files loose in a folder here, otherwise I have packaged them with their respective .wav files into a fuz file here.

Now, it's all working on my CK but I haven't had time to test it in game, so I'm just going to assume it's all working and if not let me know and I'll do some troubleshooting :wink:

Thanks so much! I think it's cause I don't have a microphone or anything hooked up to or built in my computer (I built it myself and I didn't see any need for a microphone)... but yeah stupid audio would NOT work. Hopefully it's all good now! I'll get on putting in the rest of the dialogue and making the scenes ASAP!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here's what I've been doing so far in between my exams. It's really just tinkering around, trying to get a feel for how affinity and romance and whatnot is done in the game, so it's probably not anything useful, but it's worth taking a look at.

Anyway, what I did with the scripts was modify the COM script for Nick (can find this under the Quests folder in the Scripts section of your Fallout 4 folder), using the COM script for Cait as a guide. I basically looked at the "Infatuation" scenes for both of them - they were almost exactly the same except Cait's had romance-specific lines in hers. So basically what I did was add in her lines to Nick's COM script and modify the ref to NickValentine instead of Cait. Again, I have no idea what I'm doing so I could be waaay off base with this. I will try to find the exact files that I modified and upload them, but I can't find them for the moment. However, it seems like the related scripts are the CompanionActorScript, the FollowerAffinity script (I think that's what it's called?), and the individual COM scripts mentioned above.

As for the CK, I did some searching and found that there are two major actor values/variables that concern romance: CA_IsRomantic and CA_IsRomanceableNow. These are used in some of the scripts, and by the different COMCompanions under "Quests", and then "COM". I also figured out where the dialogue and scenes are handled in CK, but it looks like some of the others have already figured that out.

So anyway, it's not much but hopefully at least some bits of it will help. I am still learning the CK and the scripting, and I'm still more than happy to help, but anyone who's willing to tinker with the two I would welcome the help!

EDIT: One more thing: under the "misc" section of the companion actors in CK, is where it gives the conditions that must be met in order for each type of dialogue to appear (such as romantic greetings). What's confusing is that the conditions for things such as romantic greetings and whatnot seem to be different for each type of romanceable character, and I have no idea why. So that's probably something to look into as well.

Edited by kiddo95

Gotta be honest here guys, I'm getting pretty excited about the progress of this :smile: It's high time Nicky Valentine gets some love too <3

Me too, I'm so happy with the progress we're making!

Ugh, I wish I could say the same. The Creation Kit's UI is AWFUL. The windows are way too big, the Scenes tab keeps greying out on me for some stupid reason... *headdesk*

Gotta be honest here guys, I'm getting pretty excited about the progress of this :smile: It's high time Nicky Valentine gets some love too <3

Ugh, I wish I could say the same. The Creation Kit's UI is AWFUL. The windows are way too big, the Scenes tab keeps greying out on me for some stupid reason... *headdesk*

I've had the same sorts of issues. Especially with the windows being too big (and not having a scroll function apparently). It's so frustrating because I'll be trying to page down to a specific thing, like the topic box for dialogue, and won't be able to reach it. It's such a stupid thing to prevent progress -.-

I've done some poking around on the interwebz though and I think I may have found a solution - apparently there's software you can install that will make unscrollable windows scrollable. Gonna try it out. Hopefully it will help

I've had the same sorts of issues. Especially with the windows being too big (and not having a scroll function apparently). It's so frustrating because I'll be trying to page down to a specific thing, like the topic box for dialogue, and won't be able to reach it. It's such a stupid thing to prevent progress -.-

I've done some poking around on the interwebz though and I think I may have found a solution - apparently there's software you can install that will make unscrollable windows scrollable. Gonna try it out. Hopefully it will help

If that software works, gimme the name of it too. Between this and my other mod, Scrap Everything, making things with the CK right now is... painful.

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to post an update, as I've run into a few issues.

First is that for the Max Approval Dialogue to Keep for the Romance Greeting part, the lines on the document are a mix of the Admiration level (the second highest level) and the Infatuation level (the highest level). This wouldn't normally be a problem, but one of the lines for the Inatuation Level is 'If it isn't my favorite icicle.' and one of the new lines to add as part of the Romance Greetings is 'Well well. If it isn't my favorite icicle.'

Currently, I deleted the first greeting (the vanilla one) and put in the new one as part of the Romance Greetings. The two are so similar that I'm wondering if I shouldn't just use the vanilla one and flag it to be romance specific... What does everyone think?

The second issue is that, unlike the vanilla romances, as it stands now we currently have two flirting opportunities (one in the FriendshipToAdmiration scene, like the vanilla romances, and a new one in the AdmirationToConfidant scene) in addition to the romance opportunity in the ConfidantToInfatuation Scene.

The problem here is that, in the vanilla romances, when the player is in the romance opportunity scene, the difficulty of the charisma check depends on if you succeeded in the charisma check for the flirting opportunity (if you succeeded, the romance charisma check is medium difficulty, if you failed, the romance charisma check is hard difficulty).

How would we want to implement this with two flirting opportunities? I'm kind of reluctant to make the difficulty easier if you succeed in both checks, but if you are allowed to fail one and still get the same difficulty of the charisma check, then why bother flirting both times?

And the last issue is the Infatuation Repeater Scene. Now since Nick has no romance, and this scene is a Romance Specific Scene, I'm going to have to create one. In the current Approval Diagram, the only thing we have so far for the Infatuation Repeater is "You know, I've been thinking about how things went down with Winter. I never properly thanked you for that".

Not only do we need more dialogue (from both nick and the player) if we want to make it similar to the vanilla romances, but the line we do have is also the first line in the ConfidantToInfatuation Scene (where the Player first gets the option to attempt a romance). This being the case, I think we shouldn't use the line for both scenes, and create a new one for the Infatuation Repeater Scene instead.

I've attached the Scene Flowchart thingy for MacCready's for a comparison/reference.

Sorry for the long post!

EDIT: Oh yeah, for the picture, where it says 'Action 3' that just basically means, 'go to the dialogue with the charisma check that initiates the romance'.