Mesh Problems

jamochawoke

Ok, I decided to splice some armor together to create a unique mesh from Vanilla armor pieces.

Everything works perfectly... except I noticed that some armor pieces for the arm are only textured on one side, and on the other side they are invisible.

This gives the effect of when you turn your character around the armor "dissapears" from that side.

I've had a problem similar to this before and I've been told I need to "make sure the mesh is 3D" but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean...

Any help?

I'm a complete beginner at this 3d stuff, but from what I can tell, faces are only 1 sided. So only 1 side can hole a texture, and the other side will be invisible. I guess making it 3d would mean, make it a "box" instead of "paper". Or to duplicate the face, then adjust the its normal so it's facing the opposite direction.

EDIT: Or maybe what you meant was your arm is already 3D and for some reason the top half shows textures and the bottom half is invisible. In which case you select all those faces in Edit mode, then use CTRL+N to make all the normals point outward.

Edited by fg109

Thanks fg109. The first issue was my problem. Instead of duplicating all of the mesh faces beings it was an extremely complicated mesh (to me anyways) I just decided to use a different mesh which had this already taken care of. Slightly different look than what I was going for, but I can live with it.

Well, if your arm seemed inside-out in the case of flipped normals, you could temporarily fix that by editing the NIF an adding a NiStencilProperty to the NiTriStrip. But the preferred solution would be to correct the normals in Blender (CTRL+N usually does the trick)

If you were using the Mirror modifier, you cannot export that way...you'd have to "apply" the mirror modifier 1st...but then you'd have to fix the weight-painting so they are attached to the other arm.

Here is a related tutorial...although not exactly what you are doing but very close.

Split Oblivion Meshes

LHammonds

There is a Nexus article that explains how to make an object show textures on both sides.

Razorpony

Hah, I'm glad I figured out the Blender way to do it before I read that. Turns out:

You can set a "double-sided" flag in Blender but it does not show both sides in it nor does export retain that setting so it is worthless in Blender for Oblivion modding.

was wrong!

Yeah that article was from 2008. It was possibly correct for that version of Blender but not anymore. Also, more people are familiar with nifskope than Blender so I went with the safe route. Glad you got it fixed.

Razorpony