PC Spec Question

neonie

So all in all, the graphics detector for Fallout 4 has decided to default me to medium settings.

I don't really have a problem with this. I don't really mind playing at a lowish graphic setting (Although I would obviously enjoy a higher one.)

My real problem is that the load times I've currently been getting are terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

So I've been wondering, is this an optimization problem? Is it a problem with my set up? Is there a "fix" for this sort of thing or do I need to replace something? Depending on what it is, I wouldn't mind upgrading a single part (Like my GPU or something.) But I don't know if GPU has anything to do with loading times lol.

AMD FX 4130 Quad-Core (3.8ghz)

Geforce GTX 560

12GB+ of RAM (I think it's actually 14 but windows 7 doesn't go that high? The actual number it's giving me is 12288.)

Mother Board I'm using

It probably has something to do with your graphics card. That card is what 4 generations behind? Probably in your best interest in replacing that with something from at least the 700 series if not the 900 series if you can help it.

Your hard drive can play a role in slow load times as well.

For optimal load times lots of ram and an SSD with a monster graphics card and a solid CPU to compliment it all is necessary.

It probably has something to do with your graphics card. That card is what 4 generations behind? Probably in your best interest in replacing that with something from at least the 700 series if not the 900 series if you can help it.

For optimal load times lots of ram and an SSD with a monster graphics card and a solid CPU to compliment it all is necessary.

Alright so the graphics card can have something to do with it. Thanks!

Unfortunately I only have a PCI 2 slot to work with. If you have any suggestions for a good PCI 2 graphics card I'd love to hear it lol. I actually wouldn't mind replacing the one I have now, it's loud af.

Unfortunately I only have a PCI 2 slot to work with. If you have any suggestions for a good PCI 2 graphics card I'd love to hear it lol. I actually wouldn't mind replacing the one I have now, it's loud af.

I would recommend just thinking about building or buying a newer machine if money is of no object to you.

If you're restricted on cash from what I've read a 3.0 card will work in a 2.0 slot granted the information I read was back in 2012 when they mention when Ivy Bridge didn't even come out yet. My old PC I recently replaced has an Ivy Bridge CPU.

Regardless, a GTX 760 likely would be a solid performance boost for you in all aspects. Again, I really just recommend starting from scratch and building a more modern machine.

I would recommend just thinking about building or buying a newer machine if money is of no object to you.

If you're restricted on cash from what I've read a 3.0 card will work in a 2.0 slot granted the information I read was back in 2012 when they mention when Ivy Bridge didn't even come out yet. My old PC I recently replaced has an Ivy Bridge CPU.

Regardless, a GTX 760 likely would be a solid performance boost for you in all aspects. Again, I really just recommend starting from scratch and building a more modern machine.

I am pretty cash restricted right now lol. But yeah I'll have to build a new machine sooner or later here I guess. I'll look into 760 cards and see if I can find confirmation on the 3.0 into 2.0 thing and try to figure out whether or not upgrading now would be worth it or if I should just wait until I can do a full spec.

Thanks for all your help!

• 3 weeks later...

I know this post is old...BUT... granted you GPU CPU are not the best yet what I found on MY PC is. Windows 10.. Fallout 4 boots and loads from then on fast. Now in Windows 7.. REG Drive or SSD.. the speed was the same. Just fallout 4. Like windows Server 2012.. Most games run great yet Fallout 4 where I get 65+ Fps (980TI) in 2012 and Server 2016 I get 14fps haha. Agian its just Fallout 4. Windows 10 super fast..

The PCI 3.0 card will work on 2.0. I very recently went to GTX 970 (3.0) from my old AMD Radeon HD 6870 and my motherboard was PCI 2.0.

Fallout 4 runs smooth as butter for me on Ultra setting with a 750 ti, which is cheap enough for most people to get and doesn't require you to upgrade your power supply to run it.

I am running on a clean install of Windows 7 on my SSD and pretty much nothing but Fallout on the drive, so that might be helping my load times bit, not totally sure.

12GB+ of RAM (I think it's actually 14 but windows 7 doesn't go that high? The actual number it's giving me is 12288.)

1k of ram is actually 1024. so 12288 is 12k - not gig. My Win 7x64 Pro shows 16.0 GB Meaning I have 16 Gig of ram.

Here are the Ram limits for Win 7

• Starter: 8GB
  • Home Basic: 8GB
  • Home Premium: 16GB
  • Professional: 192GB
  • Enterprise: 192GB
  • Ultimate: 192GB

Some motherboards limit you to 12G. However the specs on the one you list show 32G max

unless you have the Home Basic You should show the entire 14 Gig ( starter is a stripped down version that is not normally available except on some low end netbooks)

You may have some incompatible or defective ram