ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Modders Abusing the "Block" feature?

Deleted2282112User

I think it's disgusting that modders can block someone simply at their own will with no justification if they so desire.

I posted a comment in a mod page someone made, as many others had done before, with help because i noticed there was some things that they missed.

Then;

http://puu.sh/loMAl/58ad3b6e10.png

I didn't provoke this is absolutely any way whatsoever, and now i'm entirely locked out.

How is this fair?

Has anyone found that they too have been absolutely unfairly blocked in the past?

The modder also blocked me by forum and everything so i cannot even ask as to what i had possibly done that even remotely warranted this. What is in place to stop this feature being abused?

Just looking for some others thoughts on this sort of thing, has it happened to you?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's disgusting that modders can block someone simply at their own will with no justification if they so desire.

I posted a comment in a mod page someone made, as many others had done before, with help because i noticed there was some things that they missed.

Sometimes authors ban users from their mod pages, simply because they already have explained the issue in FAQ/Readme/Update log and don't want to waste their time repeating themselfs. Creator of the popular Dragon Combat Overhaul used to do that. He had too many users posting in his thread to clean it everytime someone posted something without making sure he is isn't bothering the author unnecessary.

Saying that, I never had the pleasure to get blocked by anyone on this forum.

Edited by BlackRoseOfThorns

Sometimes authors ban users from their mod pages, simply because they already have explained the issue in FAQ/Readme/Update log and don't want to waste their time repeating themselfs. Creator of the popular Dragon Combat Overhaul used to do that. He had too many users posting in his thread to clean it everytime someone posted something without making sure he is isn't bothering the author unnecessary.

Saying that, I never had the pleasure to get blocked by anyone on this forum.

Happened to me in Fallout 3 forum - one of the Fast Travel from Anywhere mods. After I was blocked/banned, I sent a request for explanation and he feigned ignorance, so I asked a site modderator whom found I was banned for asking a question about a possible conflict.

Some modders are just sensative, can't take critisizm, or simply have little patience for (oft perceived) ignorance. I feel it is most certainly open to abuse, and will only get worse with the attention Fallout 4 brings to the Nexus. Perhaps its time they take just a hair more responsibility in managing and setting up a few further preventions to ward against abuse.

Edited by acelogan

Well, that's stupid.

Does this remove your posts in that mod as well? Because if you're reporting a glitch then it's extremely shitty for authors to censor it.

Still, I guess you can just create alt accounts as needed.

I have a couple of mods, nothing huge, but I'd never inflate my ego to the point where I decide to start blocking people just because they ask a question, even if it's in the FAQ. What do they learn if you block them, other than the fact that you're a bit of an ass?

Does this remove your posts in that mod as well? Because if you're reporting a glitch then it's extremely shitty for authors to censor it.

They can hide posts without banning the user from their mod page. It's their content and as long it does not cause technical issues they can do as they please. Nexus is just a site where they can share their work and it's not aimed at treating every user as customer. If the mod authors want to improve their skills and quality of their work is a separate matter.

One guy got banned for posting that in this thread today. Read nexus terms of use before giving such advices.

Well, that's stupid.

I have a couple of mods, nothing huge, but I'd never inflate my ego to the point where I decide to start blocking people just because they ask a question, even if it's in the FAQ. What do they learn if you block them, other than the fact that you're a bit of an ass?

Agreed.

I do know that, oddly, my comment was still there - last I checked - because if you log out it'll let you view that mod's comment thread, and manually dowload mods from file pages (but not with the NMM). I can still view the forum page though, too, and comment there - so, I'm not sure why they can block you from seeing the mod pages, and downloading the file, but still allow forum commenting; whats the point?

EDIT: Just felt like I needed to clarify - I re-read my ban (was back in 2014) and it also included in the reasoning that I mentioned another similar mod (in comparison). Whats weird is, the mod autnor has since updaed his description and suggests people use a newer/better mod anyhow. So go figure.

Oh, I'd recommend against making multiple accounts; thats a good way to get banned from the site if you get caught.

Edited by acelogan

They blocked access to the file on a site that's free, it takes 2 seconds to create an account, who gives a s***.

If you can't deal with the account rules, don't use the site. Simple as that. Just look how quickly moderators are closing multiple accounts. Besides is it fun playing account spam abuse and getting constantly banned? It's childish and hard to believe that grow up man would stoop so low.

Having checked the OP's posting history, I can see why there was a blocked placed. A majority of the posts were nothing more than criticism or asking for something else and nothing constructive. Only a few posts were actually saying something favorable about the uploaded file. One post was "=======WARNING DO NOT DOWNLOAD======= ". So the OP is not all that innocent.

Mod authors do not owe anyone anything. They do the work and upload the files voluntarily. If they don't want your comments or allow you to use their, that is not abuse.

Anyone has the right to contact the site administrators at any time. There is even a link at the bottom of every page for just that purpose.