Zbrush sculpts

Vamptacus

hello every1 ,

so i have a question about creating mods and stuff ... i've been using zbrush to sculpt 3d models for the past few month and i was wondering is it possible to transfer this models into a game like fallout 4 ? i mean i'm actually planning on creating all sort of weapons , armor, power armor ( my fav ) and etc etc , and the only problem i've got is that i don't know if it's possible to turn this sculpts into mods using zbrush ! i'll start watching every tutorial on creating mods as soon as i have the confirmation on that ! :(( thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english

• 4 weeks later...

hello every1 ,

so i have a question about creating mods and stuff ... i've been using zbrush to sculpt 3d models for the past few month and i was wondering is it possible to transfer this models into a game like fallout 4 ? i mean i'm actually planning on creating all sort of weapons , armor, power armor ( my fav ) and etc etc , and the only problem i've got is that i don't know if it's possible to turn this sculpts into mods using zbrush ! i'll start watching every tutorial on creating mods as soon as i have the confirmation on that ! :sad:( thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to as Zbrush exports standard formats. Just wait for the F4 development kit.

• 2 weeks later...

hello every1 ,

so i have a question about creating mods and stuff ... i've been using zbrush to sculpt 3d models for the past few month and i was wondering is it possible to transfer this models into a game like fallout 4 ? i mean i'm actually planning on creating all sort of weapons , armor, power armor ( my fav ) and etc etc , and the only problem i've got is that i don't know if it's possible to turn this sculpts into mods using zbrush ! i'll start watching every tutorial on creating mods as soon as i have the confirmation on that ! :sad:( thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to as Zbrush exports standard formats. Just wait for the F4 development kit.

Late reply ... but the kit (will most likely be called GECK for fallout4 ) isn't going to be of help other than the last phase, the very very last phase. Before that there is a boatload of other things to learn so you should already be practicing considering the opening date of this post :p

Almost everything these days that carries detail made in Zbrush, especially characters. No game engine however, can use a sculpted mesh, the polycount is extremely high and will kill the engine. You won't get far by only knowing Zbrush.
I'm no pro but this is what I'v gathered true my journey on how this works, if there are mistakes here feel free to correct I'm only learning myself as well.

-make thing in Zbrush

-decimate for usage in other 3D app, why ? well, read on ;

-retopo it for a low polly version, do it by hand, Zremecher might be praised but I'v found it to be pretty useless for game or animation because the polycount still remains high and the loops are usually 'meh' at best. If possible, don't even retop manual in Zbrush, the retopo tools suck. I'd suggest anything else so read up on using Decimation master and export it to Blender, Max, maya, 3D coat or whatever to retop.

-what brings us to 'learn the basics of another 3D app of choice' and start retopo.

-UVW map your new lowpolly mesh

-perhaps you already done this, go texture and paint your Ztool

-you'll need to bake the detail from your highpolly super awesomely textured and detailed Ztool to the lowpolly mesh ( tutorial

)

-if all goes well you'll have a mesh with a good pollycount that won't choke the engine, looking pretty badassly detailed due the magic of maps.

thats not exactly where things stop tho, armor and clothes or anything on the characters body needs rigging. Witch isn't even possible in Zbrush. I think you'll only escape this step if you focus on weapons and static items.

-Make all the maps .dds and give them the right end name (_d for diffuse ,your actual texture, _n for normals, _s specular, ecetra ) google Nvidia plugin .dds to find the plug.

-create all the folders necessary so the game can find it. (texture in the data/texture/armor/whatver folder meshes in Data/meshes/armor/whatevr and all that jazz )

All of this is before you start the battle with a program called Nifscope you're still not at the GECK , I suggest buying a stresball. I'm not going to detail all this (its on the Wiki if I'm not mistaken) but If Nifscope goes well you should end up with a .nif file , the file extension used by the game.

Congrats ,now you can move on to the GECK. The only GECK thing you'll need to learn is how to make unique items and place them in the world, this literally takes 10 minutes, maybe 20 with a slow tutorial.

I think that's about it in a very simplified way, not mentioning the hoops you'll be jumping trough for scrips, right version of programs, plugins, errors and whatnot that happens along the way.