How come noone cleaned up the mess in 200 years?

NonameFTW

Yes, once you build a relative safe haven for settlers, the least you should be able to do is command them to start cleaning up any debris that is left and clear all the bushes etc.

You should actually be able to do so before you start building. Ok i'll help you settlers but first you have to clean up, level the ground and then i will start building a nice new fresh home

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, once you build a relative safe haven for settlers, the least you should be able to do is command them to start cleaning up any debris that is left and clear all the bushes etc.

You should actually be able to do so before you start building. Ok i'll help you settlers but first you have to clean up, level the ground and then i will start building a nice new fresh home

Game limitations maybe?

I agree on that one and it's actually something I hope that gets implemented into the game in the future by mod or DLC. The houses of Sanctuary are actually an hindrance because you can't improve them. Having a way to improve something would be cool. To have something that is worth defending. The Brotherhood flies with a big airship and such through the sky but people are unable to renovate some houses to the point they look normal again? I mean of course that doesn't happen in the first maybe even 50 years but hey they got by for so long now and it's kinda time to start rebuilding something.

Of course it's not gonna look like in 2077 but making a bit of cement and putting some bricks ontop of each other isn't rocket science. They have automatic defenses. F'ing turrets that automatically shoot at hostiles!

Not to mention that the houses and snapping base parts are not in the same scale, that makes the foundations weird to build anything on. Since when do we have walls 3 feet away from the foundation. With no snap the walls don't follow the foundation orientation. And since we can't scrap the rest of the houses, or even the scrapped house foundations we're stuck with dealing with that.

Also, Grasmann, cleaning is actually realist if they have the time and leisure to invest years to become scientists and surgeons. Filthy surgeries kill people, but somehow Diamond City has a popular Plastic Surgeon, that is a grossly unimportant surgery business considering Fallout 4's world. Why have all that risk? Diamond City had guards outside it's perimeter and has about a block of safety outside, it's really well guarded. People have all the basic needs, there's even some Mister Handy robots inside whose sole purpose is to keep things clean.

Heck why doesn't Codsworth do just that once we secure Sanctuary? He trimmed the bushes directly next to the house, but that's it. What if you gave him fertilizer bags? He could make the grass come back greener, I don't know. He's been doing that for 210 years but now he doesn't care if he's not actively following and staying at sanctuary? He actually comments on the disgusting state of the commonwealth but doesn't clean his own house?

We have hi-tech missile turrets so sanctuary actually becomes a safe sanctuary, if not then the whole minutemen are useless as their purpose is to build longterm settlements, secure the population and repopulate. If your gang is nomad, why go through the trouble of setting up shops, making trade routes and share resources between settlements? Building an economy is not the first basic need thing you think about when you're merely surviving. Actually it is kinda normal at this point that if people have time to grow steady crops in surplus in safety they would think of patching their roof and the hole in the floor, no? We even have specializations settlements! Abernathy Farm produces large amounts of food and that food is used in other settlements. Sanctuary is a new city with jobs in commerce and industry (crafting) with family houses, not a farm. They all form a new society at this point.

Making a mod to change landscape after events or a quest is possible. Look at Thicket Excavations, you can actually drain the water there. So why not make the settlements more immersive with repairable houses and clean floors once they are populated and established trade routes, not just merely surviving? Why not having miners get stone in the mines to patch up the minutement castle?

I think they've said the DLC will be in part from player feedback so I guess the settlement mechanic was barebones to test the waters. But since you can spend most of your game time in it, it feels unrewarding after investing so much creativity to rebuild and offer safe havens. If a hero offered me a life of peace in Fallout 4's world I would shut up and happily clean the floor! XD

Making a mod to change landscape after events or a quest is possible. Look at Thicket Excavations, you can actually drain the water there.

That is clearly quest or trigger scripted. And water is not landscape, it an activator with many sizes, different colors and types.

Why not having miners get stone in the mines to patch up the minutement castle?

Because it the only model they had, and changing it may case problem.

Making a mod to change landscape after events or a quest is possible.

It not, that impossible. Landscape is very different form static items like houses, usable chairs and crafting tables, flora like trees and bushes and water. It hard to explain, but you cannot slap a script into the landscape. It also has the npc path finding on it, changes to that may case a buggy game or unsolvable CTD when one fast travels to the area.

Also, Grasmann, cleaning is actually realist if they have the time and leisure to invest years to become scientists and surgeons. Filthy surgeries kill people, but somehow Diamond City has a popular Plastic Surgeon, that is a grossly unimportant surgery business considering Fallout 4's world.

Maybe they just don't know it? Back countries ago no one made the connection expect a bit lately it was more of an surprise and fallout npc don't know much of the pre-war world knowledge. I mean think about it, the pre-war world seems something out of a fairy tale to them. Only Bos know technology, and that is still so little and they always need to get new stuff to supply themselves.

Yet again, I really do wish we can clean. There are some clean places if you wondered around here and there in the wastes. The pile of junk is a static item and maybe be removal, at least with the modding tool.

Game limitations maybe?

Bethesda lazyness more likely, should'nt be to hard for them to program. Give the command to a settler and return in a few days and presto a new prebuild clutter free piece of land is loaded instead of the old. Just have 2 almost identical cells and a script that checks if conversation is negative then load cel X if conversation is positive then load cell Y. There are buildings and areas that are permantly altered after certain quest events, same principle applies.

Making a mod to change landscape after events or a quest is possible. Look at Thicket Excavations, you can actually drain the water there.

That is clearly quest or trigger scripted. And water is not landscape, it an activator with many sizes, different colors and types.

There's an event that creates an alien crash, that makes a crater in the world if I'm not mistaken, it's not just objects triggered at the site of impact. It's supposition at this point, but maybe this version of the engine allows some alteration to the height map, or at least some cells that have different states. I don't know why they didn't make this available ingame with the settlements. Moving and shaping terrain in the editor is easy normally, it's not a hard stretch to imagine the game able to do it with objects like rocks snapping to the landscape.

Also, some elevators seem to start on the inside and open in the wasteland without going through the regular loading screen. How is that possible knowing this game engine?

I doubt it's laziness. Landscape and grass can't be edited or modified ingame (you can't just disable and enable them like static meshes, for example) and this shouldn't be different for Fallout 4.

2 almost identical cells

Your idea would work by having the objects disabled first then enabled afterwards, all within the same cell. That would take the fun out of building them yourself, though.

Anyway, re OP's question about why nobody's cleaned up the world. It's obvious the game devs wanted a more 'recently post-apocalyptic' vibe so I just take the '200 years after the Great War' as an arbitrarily chosen number. It doesn't have to make sense.

There's an event that creates an alien crash, that makes a crater in the world if I'm not mistaken, it's not just objects triggered at the site of impact. It's supposition at this point, but maybe this version of the engine allows some alteration to the height map, or at least some cells that have different states

Maybe the spaceship lands in fixed spots that are picked randomly?

I don't know why they didn't make this available ingame with the settlements. Moving and shaping terrain in the editor is easy normally, it's not a hard stretch to imagine the game able to do it with objects like rocks snapping to the landscape.

Rocks are static items so you are right. :laugh:

Landscape in beth games are the hard earth blow your feet.

Also, some elevators seem to start on the inside and open in the wasteland without going through the regular loading screen. How is that possible knowing this game engine?
I'm not that smart to know how to do that.

Boom, I know the heightmap is the hard earth and stones and everything over it is an object that makes it decorated. I'm talking about why not have rocks and structures snap to the heightmap so we can alter the terrain without keeping the objects "static" and consequently making them float or lose them underground.

I'm saying they have a nav mesh system that calculates pathing in structures at runtime so making the terrain editable like in the editor is a detail. Not having to draw a navmesh in the editor by ourselves is what makes altering terrain ingame viable. At least for settlements. It is recalculated automatically at runtime. Also altering one meter of earth in a settlement doesn't require to batch rebuild LOD so there's that. Can SKSE or it's Fallout 4 equivalent extend scripting to make terrain editing possible this time?