A question about compatibility & copyright

Airmage38

Hi. I'm very new to the Creation Kit, and have run into a problem while creating a simple mod that alters many of the NPC faces. If I use the official Skyrim masterfile as the base for my mod, then my modified objects are completely over-riding their counterparts in the Unofficial Skyrim Patch. For example, if I load the Skyrim.esm only, alter the face of Mjoll, and then save as a new plugin, I run into this problem: when I load the game, with the USP in the proper load order, my plugin negates all of the USP's fixes to the Mjoll object--even though I only wanted to change the face, without undoing all of the USP's fixes for the rest of the object (such as changes to the inventory, factions, etc.).

If, however, I use the USP masterfile as the base for my plugin--so that the Mjoll object in my plugin is a copy of the USP version, but with my face alterations incorporated--then isn't this some sort of copyright violation? Or does this not fall under that, because the USP Mjoll object is merely the Skyrim.esm original, except with some values changed? I really don't understand how this all works, and I'm having great difficulties finding documentation for my specific sort of problems.

So, in short, how can I make my mod compatible with the USP, without any copyright infringement? Furthermore, is there any way to make my mod compatible with the USP, the USLEP, and the unmodded game, without re-creating each plugin by hand each time (which would consume many additional hours, of re-creating each face two more times, once for each plugin, using screenshots as reference)? The idea would be to allow anyone who downloads my mod to have it work regardless of which of those three versions they were using. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

No, if I'm not wrong the USKP (or USLEEP) team permit the unofficial patch being used as a master file. But I suggest downloading TES5Edit from the Nexus, and using it to drag and drop the changes from the unofficial patch into your mod. That way, it won't inconvenience users who don't use the unofficial patch. Though really, everyone should be using the unofficial patch.

Our terms expressly allow incorporating fixes into your own work like this so that they aren't lost. The exact allowances are outlined in the readme if you need the super-specifics though.

As long as what we fixed doesn't force the master requirement you should be able to just drag the fixed data across using TES5Edit. Otherwise, if it does require the patch as a master because of an added record, that's fine too so long as you are directing people to our download and not including the master file in your package.