ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Overhauled Raiders of the Commonwealth (ORC) Discussion Thread

Indigoblade

Something I would love to see is a major reduction in the numbers of female raiders. Lets put this into perspective: Raiders rob people, kill people, mutilate them, hang corpses from hooks, (possibly eat them) but... they respect women?.... uh no. It really pulls any immersion out for me when as an example I go into the base near Sanctuary with the big satellite dish outside, and the boss is Ack Ack, a 120 pound girl with no muscles holding a minigun?

That sexist! Women can be savage brutes too!

There is a lack of them even.

Maybe remove the female raiders and then make an Amazon tribe of raider women or something? Also, if there have to be raider females, they should at least look the part, they should have a strong/fat (going by the triangle at the start of character creation) body, you shouldn't be looking at a dead runway models body after taking their armor.

Hey models can savage brute too! It all about working hard!

But I like the idea of all female raider groups.

Please dont do level scaling, just make enemies static, (like Requiem for Skyrim, I'm sure you know that mod) There are some areas a level 10 player should go and just DIE. Whats wrong with that? Whats the point in leveling up if everything is scaled to us and easy?

Fo4 is not scaled as much as Skyrim. The problem is that for gunners, monsters and super mutes. Not raiders.

Turrets are a big part of most raider bases. They need a big boost in power, turrets are just free scrap at the moment. I'd like to see them boosted by 100% in every stat, damage, health, armor.

You mean the same ones used in the building system?

Yes, nice idea!

I'm not trying to be sexist, just realistic. I realize there are women who are stronger then I am, or could beat me in a fight, but they are few and far in between when I go to the gym (I am but NO means a gym rat... I go just enough to look/feel decent) there is one girl there who is ALWAYS there and she is stronger in some areas then I am... pretty much everything except bench press. That said... she pails against the strongest males there.

As far as guns go, In real life we had Annie Oakley, who was an amazing shot, but she was just that, a hunter turned performer, not a warrior. Im sure if pressed into battle she could kill a lot of men with a rifle, but we wouldn't see her running around with a heavy machine gun.

Yeah, its a game. I got it. I still dont like it when a slim girl is carrying a weapon bigger then she is, its dumb. Make girls snipers, or roguish enemies, not front line heavy assault.

As for the rest, I'm still not sure exactly how scaling works, all I know is the weak raiders need to be stronger. There should be no level 1 raider, or even level 4. 8-10+ imo, a level 1 player can still kill them with a 10mm to the head, and harder is a good thing.

Yes, I meant the same turrets we build in base, raiders can have them too. That 10mm ceiling turret in certain buildings needs a buff too... all turrets, player and NPC owned need a HUGE buff.

Its slightly off subject but turrets reminded me, I'd like to see more defense in a lot of areas. For example why havnt raiders killed Trudy and her Son yet? (I think thats her name, the diner owner) She should have at least a merc or 2 working for her. Why havn't certain buildings been looted in 200 years? A bunch of the tech buildings should have robots or turrets outside, or raider inhabitants.

Edited by Cruor34

Don't worry, I'm female who was in a dojo and know that. I was sarcastic and in fact, share acknowledgment about the problem.

for the rest, I'm still not sure exactly how scaling works

Some areas are scaled for high levels, like the cost, the south and the glowing sea. And some places have fixed spawns of stronger spawns. Lurk wood, in the middle, northern western part of the map, has a lot of deathclaws for an example. Super duper mart will wreak low level players as another.

. For example why havnt raiders killed Trudy and her Son yet? (I think thats her name, the diner owner) She should have at least a merc or 2 working for her. Why havn't certain buildings been looted in 200 years? A bunch of the tech buildings should have robots or turrets outside, or raider inhabitants.

I was reading notes and the logs in raider forts, camps etc. and as far I have read, they don't wonder around or scout at all. But guard and wait for a caravan since they take strategical places as bases, then live on the food of caravan. They hardly scout and look for food expect if they were starving.

They may be named raiders, but they hardly raid, lol.

For the other question. They seem tp have no lockpicking or hacking skills. let not forget that fact that many buildings are taken as a base by raiders already. Or house super mutes/monsters and forts are taken by gunners,

And sometimes, the player enters while the raiders are looting. The raiders were waiting for a ceiling mounted turrets to ran out of ammo while I entered a police station the other day to loot the place. In Jamaica plain, named raiders are found dead because of feral ghouls ( don't wonder around the place by night with your pip boy radio on! They whole town is ghouled!)

Edited by Boombro

I mean more in atmosphere purposes. Im not asking for a shop keeper to be killed by raiders, just she should get a guard or 2 so we have the illusion that her place is "protected" Same for some of the buildings, its just strange that you can walk in and start looking, and nobody has thought to do it before you for many of them.

Hey, I remember OBIS in Skyrim and it was good stuff, here are some of my suggestions:

As you said, raiders make a living killing other people... get rid of any raiders below level 8 or so. No raider should have an endurance stats below 5. Keep in mind the player is human and the raiders are AI... make people at a disadvantage in the start and have to *gasp* put some effort in to beating raiders at a low level. If people dont like it, they can always turn it down to easy until they get a good weapon/perk setup. I would like a challenge. Maybe include a hard mode where raiders start no lower then level 10 or so?

Something I would love to see is a major reduction in the numbers of female raiders. Lets put this into perspective: Raiders rob people, kill people, mutilate them, hang corpses from hooks, (possibly eat them) but... they respect women?.... uh no. It really pulls any immersion out for me when as an example I go into the base near Sanctuary with the big satellite dish outside, and the boss is Ack Ack, a 120 pound girl with no muscles holding a minigun?

Maybe remove the female raiders and then make an Amazon tribe of raider women or something? Also, if there have to be raider females, they should at least look the part, they should have a strong/fat (going by the triangle at the start of character creation) body, you shouldn't be looking at a dead runway models body after taking their armor.

I know you mentioned melee but I'd like to see more melee raiders.. provided they can be given good AI. They should try to flank you and use grenades to flush you out for the gun wielding raiders.... Not just charge my combat shotgun in a line.

I'd like to see an elite group of raiders, guys with high end, well modded weapons and armor. Competition for the high end Gunners.

Please dont do level scaling, just make enemies static, (like Requiem for Skyrim, I'm sure you know that mod) There are some areas a level 10 player should go and just DIE. Whats wrong with that? Whats the point in leveling up if everything is scaled to us and easy?

Turrets are a big part of most raider bases. They need a big boost in power, turrets are just free scrap at the moment. I'd like to see them boosted by 100% in every stat, damage, health, armor.

Please while you are at it make enemies more aggressive, more aware (way too easy to sneak) and not give up looking... they should honestly stay on alert 4X+the length they do in game currently.

Big list, let me share my own thoughts on the matter:

Remove all below lvl 8: Too difficult for game balance. Raiders are still low level, untrained angry people, not well trained mercenaries. I agree that the level 1s should be removed completely as they should be reserved for radroaches and bloatflies, but low level players should still be able to hunt Raiders for decent loot. Now that I plan on specializing each raiders to types, it will significantly increase the difficulty of each raider fight anyway. Artificially increasing difficulty through levels might do okay at first, but in the long run kinda ruin the experience. I need to see how the Raiders fare after launch before I make a full decision on this though.

Women that are Raiders: Actually I like having tons of women in the Raiders, diversity is the stimulus of creation and including all sorts of walks can help create more content. The way I see it, gender stereotypes for an apocalyptic setting no longer apply when people need food and protection. Sure the game comes from like a 1950s setting, but if you need to kill the next caravan that comes by to survive, I'm sure the last thing you think about is why is there so many women in my group.

Gender focused group: Harder to implement in Fallout 4 than Skyrim but will see

More types of Melee: Sure

Elite like Gunners: I would like to... but we already have Gunners, even with the changes I put up Raiders, they should still lose to Gunners. I want Raiders to be kept in check by the Gunners. My designs are in contrast to Gunners as I see them as the top of the of the food chain for immediately hostile foes. A well trained, highly militarized, just short of BOS style, mercenary group. If I think of a way to creating an elite type of raider, I will.

Level scaling: See I never said I'd do level scaling, I said I'd do level "scaling." The way I scale enemies are still separated by tiers, but will start appearing much later. For instance tier ones will be 1-10, tier 2 will be 13-20, ect. you continue to see mixes of Raider tiers like the fixed, but the lower teirs will still be much more hardy when you hit higher levels. OBIS runs a system like that.

Turrets: I can see that turrets are a mess, I might do something

Aggro: No idea how to mess with that atm, will check it out.

. For example why havnt raiders killed Trudy and her Son yet? (I think thats her name, the diner owner) She should have at least a merc or 2 working for her. Why havn't certain buildings been looted in 200 years? A bunch of the tech buildings should have robots or turrets outside, or raider inhabitants.

I was reading notes and the logs in raider forts, camps etc. and as far I have read, they don't wonder around or scout at all. But guard and wait for a caravan since they take strategical places as bases, then live on the food of caravan. They hardly scout and look for food expect if they were starving.

They may be named raiders, but they hardly raid, lol.

For the other question. They seem tp have no lockpicking or hacking skills. let not forget that fact that many buildings are taken as a base by raiders already. Or house super mutes/monsters and forts are taken by gunners,

And sometimes, the player enters while the raiders are looting. The raiders were waiting for a ceiling mounted turrets to ran out of ammo while I entered a police station the other day to loot the place. In Jamaica plain, named raiders are found dead because of feral ghouls ( don't wonder around the place by night with your pip boy radio on! They whole town is ghouled!)

How I see it, Raiders, like every other group in the Commonwealth, are highly territorial. They stay on their turf because only the stronger factions are the only ones that can leave the territory to go attack. Think of the BOS attacks on Raider/Gunner/Super Mutant camps. They definitely have the resources and the knowhow to do such strikes and even so half the time the BOS loses the Vertibird. What interests me that Raiders live so close to Gunners and Super Mutants to the point where I can force them to fight each other. It's almost like they pick off the stragglers of those fights against the stronger factions like a pack of scavengers.

What interests me that Raiders live so close to Gunners and Super Mutants to the point where I can force them to fight each other. It's almost like they pick off the stragglers of those fights against the stronger factions like a pack of scavengers.

It all makes sense when one sees that they are territorial. They live close to them, doesn't mean they don't mind when a rider is near, since they will gun them down. It seems like a hostile factions have "you come close, we attack." kind of law in managing bases.

I'm not sure, but I think I have seen dead raiders in super mutes camp somewhere? Well, SM do hang balls of unknown meat. There should be rider in it.

Edited by Boombro

Just a few ideas off the top of my head:

- Tech-savvy raiders, weak but spawn with robot bodyguards (protectrons, gutsies or sentrybots). Could also own suicide bomber molerats or dogs.

- Ghoul raiders. Surely not all non-ferals are upstanding, law-abiding citizens?

- Hermits. While most raiders form gangs, these guys are tough enough to make it on their own. They could populate the empty shacks in the rural areas of the commonwealth and act as mini bosses.

- Ghoul raiders. Surely not all non-ferals are upstanding, law-abiding citizens?

- Hermits. While most raiders form gangs, these guys are tough enough to make it on their own. They could populate the empty shacks in the rural areas of the commonwealth and act as mini bosses.

I think these are awesome suggestions. Why no ghoul raiders? :P