PC gaming almost over?

cyronarxes

Xbox 360, inexpensive? What tosh. The games cost the best part of £50! Plus the fact you would have to keep replacing it (the console) due to the crappy heatsinks MS saw fit to use.

Absolutely. Though to be fair they are offering extended warranties now so you don't have to pay out of your own pocket. Still, £40-50 per game is a lot to ask. I don't know where these companies think we're supposed to get all this money from? Especially since a large proportion of gamers are students. I think this is one of the main reasons why the Wii is doing so well. So far the lowest price I've seen for the PS3 for instance is £399.99... :rolleyes:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I Agree PC games are not going anywhere anytime soon. Xbox 360 is good. but a PC can kick it's arse easly, because a PC is much more practical and efficient in a lot of area's (If you have a power hungry machine that could load oblivion 5 times at once on full settings) joke, But consoles are just for games. they are fun but far less flexable than PC's with upgrading etc.

Nintendo are an actual competitor this time round. They opened the eyes of the ignorant masses by proving fun gaming doesn't HAVE to involve the ultimate in graphics etc. But by providing decent looking games, with great game play.

PC Gaming won't die. Simply because PC's are changing and evolving much, much faster than Consoles.

I agree with all that & will add some more.

The bad news is this.

1. It would not be a big deal for console makers to add a keyboard & mouse to their systems, I think back to the old Odyssey days (yes I know I’m showing my age) it had a keyboard & overlays for certain games.

2. It is a lot easier for game programmers to create console games than it is computer games; I read this in Game Developer magazine.

The good news is this.

1. A PC can do anything a console can do, the reverse is not true.

2. PC companies are getting more game focused than ever.

3. A PC is just so much more versatile than a console and will probably always be.

1. It would not be a big deal for console makers to add a keyboard & mouse to their systems, I think back to the old Odyssey days (yes I know I’m showing my age) it had a keyboard & overlays for certain games.

Then again, the PS2 had a usb keyboard and mouse attachment, and that didn't catch on at all.The problem was that most developers didn't bother making games that used them, because, like you said:

2. It is a lot easier for game programmers to create console games than it is computer games; I read this in Game Developer magazine.

The only game I can remember that did use it was Age of Empires, and as that was ported from the PC anyway...

1. It would not be a big deal for console makers to add a keyboard & mouse to their systems, I think back to the old Odyssey days (yes I know I'm showing my age) it had a keyboard & overlays for certain games.

Then again, the PS2 had a usb keyboard and mouse attachment, and that didn't catch on at all.The problem was that most developers didn't bother making games that used them, because, like you said:

The only game I can remember that did use it was Age of Empires, and as that was ported from the PC anyway...

Hey Terminator, you quoted me right but I don't think you read it correctly.

The magazine said it was easier to make console games because they were more standardized than PC games.

When developing PC games you have more factors like hardware types; motherboards, video cards, drivers etc.

I still like the PC better though.

1. It would not be a big deal for console makers to add a keyboard & mouse to their systems, I think back to the old Odyssey days (yes I know I'm showing my age) it had a keyboard & overlays for certain games.

Hey Terminator, you quoted me right but I don't think you read it correctly.

The magazine said it was easier to make console games because they were more standardized than PC games.

When developing PC games you have more factors like hardware types; motherboards, video cards, drivers etc.

I still like the PC better though.

Yeah, whoops, what I was trying to say, was that developers didn't bother to make use of it, because it was so much easier to just stick with the controller. Unless someone releases another console with a keyboard instead of a mouse, then PC gaming is in no danger. And thats unlikely to happen, I think, because one of the reasons people use consoles is because the controllers are so much simpler than the keyboard. Thats why the Wii is doing so well- Its got the simplest control system, so more people buy it.

Yeah, whoops, what I was trying to say, was that developers didn't bother to make use of it, because it was so much easier to just stick with the controller. Unless someone releases another console with a keyboard instead of a mouse, then PC gaming is in no danger. And thats unlikely to happen, I think, because one of the reasons people use consoles is because the controllers are so much simpler than the keyboard. Thats why the Wii is doing so well- Its got the simplest control system, so more people buy it.

YES, that's true. you make a good point.

• 4 weeks later...
In response to the initial post, it's all about supply and demand. As long as people have pc's and like pc's then pc games will be made. That's just business. About the transitioning of consoles, well you just have to look at the big picture. Anyone playing Atari? Not many! I grew up on it. I wonder if you've ever even played this. It's ancient history. We're coming into an era of video games, virtual reality, etc. You can bet the consoles will keep rolling in. And as they get better and better, people will surely buy them...so, then the old die out. Just give it a few years. But, one thing they had in the 70's...pc's and pc games. In the 80's. In the 90's. In the new millineum. And, you can bet, right into 2010, 2020 and yes 2030. Provided we're not all sucking down nuclear fallout. However, the next world war shouldn't be much of a problem as long as Microsoft will fund the war. ;) But seriously, yes a few games may hurt, but no one's going to run out and sell their pc. NOW, if a console ever comes out with a key pad and mouse, I would wonder (not really). Well maybe, but then it would have to have ALL the capabilities of a computer...but then it would just BE a computer.

Rather than the 360 being a serious threat to the PC though I'd be more worried about it being a threat to the Playstation. For "serious" gamers the PS is the only competition the Xbox has, and already Sony is stupidly selling off rights to Microsoft to certain game series so they can have them as well. I suppose this is because they've suffered losses with the PS3, but it's only going to hurt them in the long run. Once the Xbox starts having games like Final Fantasy and others, it makes the PS3 seem like a much less appealing choice

I just wanted to reiterate that. Sounds like good reasoning to me. It always amazes me when successful businesses make decisions that seem so short sighted. But, I suppose there's "some" sort of reason that I don't know of (trying to see both sides of the coin)...if no other than sheer desperation.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it improbable that the x-box or any other "toy/platform" with its limited functions (no modding, no upgrading parts like a computer can do, etc. ... yowl I know I'm gonna hear it for this view but it is mine nonetheless .. convince me differently if you can.) would ever make COMPUTERS obsolete. C'mon! What planet ya from?? And as long as there are computers, there will be computer games.

It is more likely that as the x-boxers grow up they are going to recognize the more limitless advantages of PC and trade their boxes in for a living, breathing, electronic upgradable entity. Some people I know have even named their computers. Mine is purple, as are most of my desktip articles, my monitor and even my deskchair.

Let us hope that the commonality of making a game for both boxers and pc'ers can only result in improvements to the games themselves. That would be the desired effect, eh? Not so recently with such showings as Oblivion (a rush job) and some other games I've heard the PCers complain about. And the selling of Obliv dev mods for PC for paultry $2 and $3 is laughable; but seems at least to some people's minds, to have sprung from the making and selling of dev mods for Oblivion on x-box. Where is the benevolent sharing atmosphere of Morrowind modding for free by devs and players alike?

Well, we shall see where the twain shall meet ...if ever

• 3 weeks later...
I think it improbable that the x-box or any other "toy/platform" with its limited functions (no modding, no upgrading parts like a computer can do, etc. ... yowl I know I'm gonna hear it for this view but it is mine nonetheless .. convince me differently if you can.) would ever make COMPUTERS obsolete. C'mon! What planet ya from?? And as long as there are computers, there will be computer games.

It is more likely that as the x-boxers grow up they are going to recognize the more limitless advantages of PC and trade their boxes in for a living, breathing, electronic upgradable entity. Some people I know have even named their computers. Mine is purple, as are most of my desktip articles, my monitor and even my deskchair.

Let us hope that the commonality of making a game for both boxers and pc'ers can only result in improvements to the games themselves. That would be the desired effect, eh? Not so recently with such showings as Oblivion (a rush job) and some other games I've heard the PCers complain about. And the selling of Obliv dev mods for PC for paultry $2 and $3 is laughable; but seems at least to some people's minds, to have sprung from the making and selling of dev mods for Oblivion on x-box. Where is the benevolent sharing atmosphere of Morrowind modding for free by devs and players alike?

Well, we shall see where the twain shall meet ...if ever

Hope your right, I like the idea of having my stuff at my house on my own not depending on a network or a internet connection to have fun. But everything seems to be going online & that means that you don’t necessarily need a screaming machine. I like the internet, but don’t want to depend on it.

I was in the store the other day & noticed the Playstation3 was $500!

The salesman was pushing it saying it was inexpensive entertainment considering in was also a BlueRay player.

I say for $500 your half way there to an excellent PC.

Archived