I installed Oblivion v1, what next to set up the base ?

Ok, i'm starting this thread cause I'm so confused with all the official patches, unofficial patches, same patch version - one that has 1 MB, one that has 50 MB, expansions, expansion patch and so on.

I dunno where to start. I have Oblivion version 1.0.228 installed. What should I install next ? What's the order of all those patches ? In other words what is really necessary to have installed and upgraded to begin testing mods. I would appreciate to have the links to the downloads cause I found same file versions, but with very different file sizes. So I dunno witch one to choose.

If this has been discussed already, post a link to that thread/guide. I searched a can't find any. THX in advance :)

Firstly, do you have Shivering Isles installed? That changes the patch you need.

Secondly, if you do NOT have Shivering Isles installed, do you have the US or European or some other release of the game - again, that is relevant.

Then read this thread which has a set of patch links and a howto posted on it.

How do I find out what version of Oblivion I have ? European, Us, etc ?

I have installed Shivering Isles (1 GB) and the update to version 1.2.0416 (1 MB). Is this expansion really necessary ? I heard there are other expansions out there more interesting. Can I install them over Shivering Isles or should I uninstall the expansion?

I followerd the link u gave me and installed like here

''Install this way if you have Shivering Isles

Install Oblivion 1.0

Install Official 1.1.511 Patch (only if you want the launcher to be fully functional)

Install Shivering Isles (which brings Oblivion to 1.2.201)

Install Official 1.2.416 Patch

Install all Official Add-ons

Install the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (user-made mod)

Install the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (user-made mod)

Install the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (user-made mod)

Install the Official Construction Set 1.2.404''

After those my game exits as soon as I enter it :( I want to debug it and try the game after every patch I apply to find out who's guilty. Is it enough to replace Oblivion directory with the old original one that I saved as backup, or I have to erase all the re4gistry, entries in My documents and all files related to the game ? That would be a killer...

TX

Very nearly all mods are compatible with SI and there are no other expansions for Oblivion.

The problem MIGHT be that you installed the Official Mods Patch without having them installed. Try not using that first. You don't actually need any of the Unofficial patches; they just fix a lot of stuff.

Replace your old directory first. I'd recommend that once you install SI, go straight to the 1.2.0416 patch downloaded here.

The language version depends on where you buy it.

If you live in the US and bought Oblivion legally then you have the US version.

If you live in UK, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa you should have the UK version.

Any other versions will be in the language of the country (Germany, France, Spain, Italy etc) and should be obvious.

The Version number is displayed in the lower corner of the start up screen such as v2.x.xxx

I heard there are other expansions out there more interesting.

No, there is only ONE expansion and that is Shivering Isles. There are some DLCs but they are just like mods and can be turned on and off. The expansion, once installed cannot be removed. However you can uncheck shivering Isles and that part will not play - but the updates put into the main game will still be there.

Using the wrong language patch will bork your game.

If you have SI, DO NOT install the oblivion patch ONLY install the SI patch. If you have installed the wrong patch your only recourse is to completely uninstall and reinstall - and that isn't as straightforward as you might think as the game uninstall leaves stuff behind that will come back and byte you.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus....icle.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

If you have a pirate version then God only knows what you really have, and he ain't telling. There are some pirate versions that cannot be upgraded. Others that are translated into one language from another, others that are incomplete or have some 'extra' content (key logger or virus) So we not only do not support pirate versions, we actually cannot - because, if you do have a stolen version YOU don't know what you have to start with so how are we supposed to know how to fix it? The most common thing the pirates TRY (they are often not very successful) to do is remove the DRM, and that will make installing patches difficult if not impossible.

However you can uncheck shivering Isles and that part will not play - but the updates put into the main game will still be there.

You cannot 'uncheck' Shivering Isles. The plugin installed with SI is a dummy plugin - it's there for loading SI resources. If you uncheck it, you can see tons of 'WFT!? I'm Missing Mesh!!' instead of SI stuffs, but the SI main quest still appear on your journal.

@Lfact:

In the Vanilla game the only SI meshes I know of are in SI. However, many mods use SI assets.

I just tried it with my vanilla game. - uchecked SI.exp from the list, then started the game and played for about ten minutes with no missing mesh markers that I could find. That doesn't mean there aren't any though. It just means I coulden't find any jumping from town to cave to fort to ruin and running around with TGM. And, the SI island was not there.

• 3 weeks later...

Tx all for replies.

I made a system just for Oblivion, where I installed only Windows XP Lite and drivers. The game runs like 20-25% faster compared to if it was installed on a windows with all programs installed on it. And that means a lot to me since my framerate goes from 15 to 20 in some areas. If things go wrong, I restore the image of the system drive with windows I made with acronis to start off again with a clean install and to get rid of any oblivion files in win directory/registries. It takes like 3 mins to restore the image.

I took some time off to get documented and I decided I should go for FCOM. I know it's difficult, but I made sure I read every letter from readmes I could find. I downloaded all files I needed and all the guides I could find. I went for a all files included wanna-be pack.

I finally installed correctly these:

''Install this way if you have Shivering Isles

Install Oblivion 1.0

Install Official 1.1.511 Patch (only if you want the launcher to be fully functional) - didn't installed this

Install Shivering Isles (which brings Oblivion to 1.2.201)

Install Official 1.2.416 Patch

Install all Official Add-ons

Install the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (user-made mod)

Install the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (user-made mod)

Install the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (user-made mod) ''

I wanna make sure I installed them correctly before I venture myself into FCOM. My game runs ok, no errors till now. But as soon as I install first part of fcom, francesco's leveled creature and items, my game exists after some minutes of playing.

I read about some rooms with creatures, items , ppl that are used to test mods, u enter them and see comparisons, but I can't seem to find that mod.

Does it matter if a load an old savegame after i installed mods ? Could be it the reason why my game exists due to modified content in game ?

Where can I find a complete load order off all mods from FCOM ?

Currently my load order is this, I just let it as it is. Didn't changed anything. I guess I should since my game exits, but how ? it looks like this for now:

Most of the "heavy" modders add a couple of other "must have" mods to reduce the game's tendency to crash. First, you'll need the Oblivion Script Extender v20 (OBSE for short). Then install FastExit and Winston Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS).

If you are trying a full FCOM install, you have two choices. One is the walkthrough at the FCOM First Time User Install list. The other is the massive combined download found if you Google for the FCOM Superpack. Either way, when it comes to configuring the Wrye Bash bashed patch settings, read the installation guide at the Superpack site and tick what it tells you to - that worked first time for me both ways.

The downside of the superpack is that, while it usually works, you have the compiler's own choice of additional mods, some of which you may dislike. However, the choice is yours!

Tried that now MarkInMKUK...same results. Tx anyway. Btw, link to FCOM u gave me I read it's not up to date so I followed another guide to FCOM when downloading all the mods, this one here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1093088-relz-fcom-convergence-and-ufcom-relz. Anyway, I tried messing around more with the load order in OBMM after a guide, I reinstalled from scratch again Oblivion...if first mod from fcom (francesco) is so problematic, I wonder the rest...

Still the questions from my previous post remains. In the mean time...read read read :D