Database Breach - An Update

Dark0ne

In response to post #31645210. #31646060 is also a reply to the same post.

jet4571 wrote: Heres a quick way to make very hard to crack passwords. Create a new text document and open it. Now randomly mash keys on your keyboard so you get something like dj5vp7;jQE:2ljwer1halk/jb9hl;sfj There's your new hard to crack password.
TrvsD wrote: Or just use some crazy several word long phrase that will stick in your mind. Think sentence not random characters you will forget.

I'd rather use LastPass or KeyPass to generate random, complex passwords, because those programs actually remember the passwords for you, and encrypt them (of course, you have to remember the phrase you used to encrypt them with - but if you use something long enough, and complex enough, like, "I am the 8th of 16 children. My mom was a VERY tired woman.", I'd say it would be fairly difficult to crack.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #31646275.

shaikujin wrote: Just wanted to say what others have already said, the forthright manner in which you released the info served to gain my trust rather than lose it.

Esp with the technical portion, that way we can analyze the risks ourselves.

Much appreciated!

Definitely agreed

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

this will allow you to test your password. the longer the better.

personally i use 3 or 4 words that are not related.

now i also use capital letters and a number but i will not tell you the sequence. :)

i also tell my users (I admin a 225 user company) to do the same with that site and passwords.

if you have questions please let me know.

In response to post #31647520.

catfish182 wrote: https://howsecureismypassword.net/

this will allow you to test your password. the longer the better.
personally i use 3 or 4 words that are not related.
now i also use capital letters and a number but i will not tell you the sequence. :)

i also tell my users (I admin a 225 user company) to do the same with that site and passwords.

if you have questions please let me know.

Relevant XKCD on password strength.

"Correct Horse Battery Staple"
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/936:_Password_Strength

In response to post #31645210. #31646060, #31646785 are all replies on the same post.

jet4571 wrote: Heres a quick way to make very hard to crack passwords. Create a new text document and open it. Now randomly mash keys on your keyboard so you get something like dj5vp7;jQE:2ljwer1halk/jb9hl;sfj There's your new hard to crack password.
TrvsD wrote: Or just use some crazy several word long phrase that will stick in your mind. Think sentence not random characters you will forget.
Daelda1 wrote: I'd rather use LastPass or KeyPass to generate random, complex passwords, because those programs actually remember the passwords for you, and encrypt them (of course, you have to remember the phrase you used to encrypt them with - but if you use something long enough, and complex enough, like, "I am the 8th of 16 children. My mom was a VERY tired woman.", I'd say it would be fairly difficult to crack.

nonono..no word phrases! Hackers can figure those out easier. Always use nonsensical words made up, or ascii symbols are always nice too.