OBSE crashes

starkbier

hey guys,

i didnt play my oblivion game for 2 months or so, then i thought i just start again.

i tried to load my last savegame like always, but while and / or after loading, the game always crashed.

ok, i thought, maybe 2 months ago i installed some mod wich was not compatible with the rest, but this is definately not the case. long story short: after experimenting around, i have found out that even vanilla oblivion (every single mod disabled) lets the game instantly crash, !!! as long as i start it with OBSE !!! with "normal" game.exe game turned out to work fine (except for the fact that many many mods wouldnt work this way since they require obse).

what a strange thing to be, i downloaded the latest obse (v20 or something, had v19 before). installed it, no effect. i am 100% sure that i have installed obse correctly. before i stopped playing for 2 months, the game was running fine (except for some random crashes cause i have too many mods active anyways). i even moved my edited .ini file so the game would create a new, clean one on the next startup. which it did, but it didnt help, though.

so: do you guys have any idea how to resolve this problem? it seems to be an OBSE problem since anything else was not the matter. and i really wonder why this problem turns up, when i didnt change anything with the game or the content. i have still the same hardware, operating system, didnt change nothing.

i ran out of ideas how to solve it. maybe u guys can help? :)

cheers

Before you do anything else, remove ALL of the OBSE plugins and any mods that rely on them, and try again.

Are you using the Steam version of the game (just wondering if Steam did something behind your back)? My understanding is that disabling mods doesn't stop the game loading their assets, to do that you need to uninstall the mods according to each mods instructions (and with a long list we're talking big job I know). Nothing else come to mind, except you surely must have had some Microsoft updates in the last couple of months. One other thought ... Hickory always says a crash on load is a missing master. Do you have Wrye Bash and can you post a load order using it?

Edit ... Ahh ... scooped by the resident indigenous species!! :biggrin:

Edited by Striker879

Before you do anything else, remove ALL of the OBSE plugins and any mods that rely on them, and try again.

isnt that paradox, if a mod relies on obse, and i use obse, then it should rather work than cause a crash. and why remove everything, when i have everything disabled anyway ?

Are you using the Steam version of the game (just wondering if Steam did something behind your back)? My understanding is that disabling mods doesn't stop the game loading their assets, to do that you need to uninstall the mods according to each mods instructions (and with a long list we're talking big job I know). Nothing else come to mind, except you surely must have had some Microsoft updates in the last couple of months. One other thought ... Hickory always says a crash on load is a missing master. Do you have Wrye Bash and can you post a load order using it?

Edit ... Ahh ... scooped by the resident indigenous species!! :biggrin:

ofc no steam version. i have every master enabled. the list of mods will not help you, as i said before its not a matter of the mods.

isnt that paradox, if a mod relies on obse, and i use obse, then it should rather work than cause a crash. and why remove everything, when i have everything disabled anyway ?

How is it a paradox? You state that if you disable all of your mods and run the game from the OBSE loader, after installing the latest version, the game crashes. What does that leave to check but the OBSE plugins? If you wan't to leave them in, feel free to do so and I will bow out.

How is it a paradox? You state that if you disable all of your mods and run the game from the OBSE loader, after installing the latest version, the game crashes. What does that leave to check but the OBSE plugins? If you wan't to leave them in, feel free to do so and I will bow out.

hmm. maybe. maybe u are right, but ... do u have any idea how many mods i have? thats work for many hours .... ouch. but thx for the idea. i might even try it, if everything else fails ...

hmm. maybe. maybe u are right, but ... do u have any idea how many mods i have? thats work for many hours .... ouch. but thx for the idea. i might even try it, if everything else fails ...

What do you mean 'if everything else fails'? What are you afraid of? You don't have to uninstall any mods, just disable them and remove the OBSE plugins folder to a temporary location. How hard can it be, for goodness sake?

Disabling a mod does NOT remove the mod. It leaves all of the mesh and texture files behind and they are loaded. Here is a trick for troubleshooting that removes ALL mods and all parts of the mods. It leaves you with the fully patched vanilla game.

Bben's Oblivion Revert to Vanilla game

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=340

And it's fully reversible.

OBSE itself rarely causes any problems. But it does get blamed for problems caused by mods that require it having problems. The new OBSE v20 MAY not work with some mods - If so, I'm sure the OBSE team would like to know which ones.

A load order list could actually help in troubleshooting. Even if you have 'disabled' but not removed the mods.

yes!!

thank you for your tip Hickory - it was indeed a file in the obse/plugins - it was "EnhancedMusicControl.dll". i tried around moving this and that in and out and suddenly it worked! i loaded back all my mods - game working again! thank you!