What FOV do you prefer?

mileafly

I am curious what people have to say about FOV, what is your prefered FOV?

I have always been a fan of the very low fov, around 60-75 that is standard in console games. But as of late I feel almost some kind of shift and I have been "opening my eyes" to the thought that a higher Fov might be more immersive. I first saw this in Oblivion now on PC, I tried to turn it up to around 85 and it feelt more immersive for some reason.. Still not sure about this.

What are other peoples thoughts and prefered Fov? Also is there such a thing as an objectively "best" Fov, or is it very independent depending on taste and even eyes? I have heard some people can use fov that are extremely high and think it looks good while for me it looks very "fish eyed".

It depends on specific game, as many have different view on different values, but mostly about 80-90, bigger FOV distort vision like looking through lens and smaller usually makes me feel a bit sick. Can't stand 60 and below.

Edited by Signette

Somewhere between 90 and 110, I'd rather have some fish-eye than feel like I have one eye closed. Cannot stand less than 90, gives me a massive migraine headache.

Also engine's that fish-eye just have a badly coded renderer. Borderlands 2, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 4 don't do that at all for me. F3/NV does tho... some older games do and some don't.

The "best" FOV overall is what would match 1:1 with your vision but most people don't have triple ultra-widescreen monitors to be able to use such a low FOV setting. Unless you are building a racing sim rig, then triples or 1:1 FOV setttings aren't strictly needed for proper gameplay, though. It's all a compromise on a single monitor so it's up to the user as to what works best for them. The highest FOV with most distortion you can tolerate without negatively affecting gameplay performance would objectively be the best on a single monitor since you would see as much in your periphery as possible. However, you may still prefer to keep a slightly lower FOV for subjective aesthetic reasons. When I play games, I want something nice too look at as I am not just playing for sport. So, while a higher FOV might give me a tactical advantage, it may not be as much fun to play. Also, a too high FOV can make it harder to judge distances so at a point it will make gameplay worse to raise it too far. Try higher settings as it won't hurt anything... if it looks crappy or disorienting then you can always dial it back.

Edited by jthomp