I cant open the cheat menu

soleguardian

I just got oblivion running with a couple of mods and everything is working fine but one/two things.

When I begin playing on a new file using the falmer race the main story line never starts up so i can't go anywhere. I wasn't planning on doing the main story line so this doesn't really bother me but i can't open my cheats menu. My kepboards a little weird and i have to shift and then type ` to get a ~. So I was wondering if their was anyway i could change the key that opens the cheat menu and if not fix the problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Soleguardian.

P.S. I'm on an hp computer with windows vista. If that matters or not.

Not all keyboard have the tide (~) key available (e.g. some laptops). For those who need it, the Ring of Console mod saves the day.

Edit: No you don't Shift + ~ to get to the console ... just the lower case of the key that has the ~ on it. I don't know for sure why everyone wants to call it the tilde key. Probably because the ` (weird backwards apostrophe key) just just seems wrong to say. I guess you could call it "the key that Striker doesn't know the name of" key ... you have my permission. :tongue:

Edited by Striker879

Not all keyboard have the tide (~) key available (e.g. some laptops). For those who need it, the Ring of Console mod saves the day.

Edit: No you don't Shift + ~ to get to the console ... just the lower case of the key that has the ~ on it. I don't know for sure why everyone wants to call it the tilde key. Probably because the ` (weird backwards apostrophe key) just just seems wrong to say. I guess you could call it "the key that Striker doesn't know the name of" key ... you have my permission. :tongue:

Even when I don't shift it doesn't open.

Here's a direct download link to the latest stable version of OBSE. Save it to either your desktop of create a temporary folder (my preference) and save it there from the download dialog. It's a zip file so you'll need to navigate to where you want the files to go either the desktop (makes a mess) or that temporary folder you created. You will find a file obse_readme.txt (it may not have the .txt at the end depending on your machines setting for showing extensions). That file has instructions on how to install and use OBSE. A lot depends on where you got Oblivion ... if it's a physical disk (e.g. Game of the Year) or from Steam you're OK ... if it's from either Dirct2Drive or Impulse you're out of luck, OBSE won't work for you. Follow the instructions for whichever version of Oblivion you have.

If your keyboard has an actual tilde key what happens if you Shift + ~ in the browser (i.e. here). If doing that here gives you the proper ~ character, are you using any mods that may remap the keyboard. If not Oblivion mods, are you using any software for remapping the keyboard?