Realistic Modding Potential?

cqbman

I know the full suite of mod tools hasn't been released for Fallout 4 yet, but judging from past games (Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim, etc) do we know what is and is not possible to mod when the GECK is finally released?

I'd like to start a mod that changes Fallout 4 to be more like the previous games (Fallout 3 and New Vegas) but I'm wondering if some things I'm hoping to do will even be possible without the source code or deeper access to the game.

Would we be able to:

• Change the skills/perks system so its more like Fallout 3/New Vegas? Not just assigning and choosing them, but also the usage of them, like binary speech checks, additional options if skill level or stat level is high enough (eg. heal an NPC if your Medic skill is above a certain level or fix something if your Intelligence stat is high enough, etc)
  • Implement a Karma system and have NPCs change their reactions to you based on it?
  • Change default AI state or trigger so a certain NPC can be spoken to instead of being instantly hostile?
  • Implement weapon and armor degradation and maintenance/repair?
  • Remove systems from Fallout 4 that weren't in the Fallout 3/New Vegas:
  • Like legendary items and enemies, and enemies "mutating" into higher level enemies?
  • Edit and change parts of the main-quest storyline? If its not possible to edit the existing main-quest, can we remove it and replace it with something custom built by ourselves?
  • Change NPCs initial allegiance? For example, instead of a certain Raider group always being hostile, make them indifferent but if you side with a rival faction they will always be hostile or if you side with them they will always be friendly)
  • Stop raiders using power armor and remove "raider power armor" pieces from the game?
  • Implementing a block on using power armor until you have had training (either from a designated NPC, joined the brotherhood or found a holotape or something)?
  • Add or replace certain NPCs in the game world? For example, replace one group of Raiders with Gunners or vice-versa?
Edited by cqbman

All of that is possible. Some features would be harder to implement though.

Thanks guys. Zilav, which of those feature(s) would be the harder ones?

I thought being able to edit and modify the existing story quest would be the hardest because the developers wouldnt give you access to the main quest and the code/script behind it. Be great if you could though.

Does anyone have any tips or resources you could recommend for a beginner/newbie (to modding Bethesda games)?

Cheers guys. Will have a look at the creation kit for Skyrim if that's going to be similar. Are there any good websites or repositories on scripting and modding Bethesda games you would recommend? I've done some Java programming in the past and understand core coding concepts, so hopefully the scripting wont be too hard to get a handle on.

Rather than do all of these things as one whole mod, maybe I should treat them all as separate, modular components (make each one a mini-mod) and tackle them one at a time until I can put them all together.

I agree with all of the above. CK will help a lot, will probably need script ext. for some and yes should probably separate them as separate mods at least to start. That just comes from my own experience in modding this game so far. It is limited and some hassles GECK will make easier.

Some of what you want to do is possible, but to turn fallout 4 in to fallout 3/NV is on a practical level extremely unlikely to ever happen.

Most of what you want would have to be done via scripting. Having scripts sufficiently complex to do this and have the game remain stable seems like it would be a challenge. The time commitment required would be considerable. The suggestion to get Skyrim and the creation kit for that is a good one. If you already have fallout 4 and or NV you could get some idea from modding those as well. I suspect that the scripting would be similar.

I wish you luck, but I think you will probably find such a global overhaul to be very challenging. Maybe start smaller.