Detrimental Wielding

SiberianWolf88

The title may be an eye catcher, but it's exactly what it is.

I have been working on a simple texture/effect modification on a sword which is meant to look and be a little bit overpowered.

However I wish that wielding this sword could come at the expense of draining health. Maybe at a magnitude of 4 points per second. Something like a radioactive effect.

The only issue I am encountering is that I have only a vague idea of how to do it, but not good enough to actually do it.

If anyone can perhaps provide an explanation him/herself or even a tutorial on how to do this with Creation Kit, I'd be grateful.

Create a constant self magic effect that drains the health under the condition of that weapon being equipped. Attach this magic effect to a spell (ability) type. Give the ability to the player via a script somehow, either automatically (quest script) or attached to the weapon, to trigger when it is added to inventory.

Create a constant self magic effect that drains the health under the condition of that weapon being equipped. Attach this magic effect to a spell (ability) type. Give the ability to the player via a script somehow, either automatically (quest script) or attached to the weapon, to trigger when it is added to inventory.

Thanks for the reply.

I've created the effect and used the spider/chaurus spit effect as a guidance, I just have to add it to a spell. As for the spell, are you sure it has to be an ability and not a disease? Either of which I'd like to be triggered and lasting only for the duration that the player is wielding that weapon. I don't know which script to add for that kind of thing, so you'll have to be a bit more patient with me (apologies as I am quite nooby with CK).

Edited by SiberianWolf88

Yeah it has to be an ability. The ability will stop working when the conditions are not met (when the weapon is not currently equipped), and turn back on when the conditions are met (when the weapon is equipped again). Think of the sun damage you get as a vampire. You can even use that as a guide.

Diseases could work in theory but disease resistance will affect it. Not much of a curse. Ability is cleaner and it's also what most other similar effects do.

Yeah it has to be an ability. The ability will stop working when the conditions are not met (when the weapon is not currently equipped), and turn back on when the conditions are met (when the weapon is equipped again). Think of the sun damage you get as a vampire. You can even use that as a guide.

Diseases could work in theory but disease resistance will affect it. Not much of a curse. Ability is cleaner and it's also what most other similar effects do.

Alright, so I added the conditions under which the spell has to work, I just went by my intuition and used "subject" and "getequip" (or something like that) and I added the sword's respective ID.

What's next is the script attached to the ability, which I assume has to be done in the sword's interface. I am roaming too much in the dark to create this and I don't know anything about scripting, so someone will have to guide me.