SFO - what would you like to see improved?

vurt

Hi all !

I'm in gonna do an update to SFO and im gonna try to base it upon user feedback a bit more.

There has been suggestions of improvements from users on the SFO page, many of which i have thought "that's a good idea, i need to remember this", and then obviously i have totally forgotten all about it (sorry, my memory sucks).

Some improvents that i know i need to make:

* fix tree trunks with clipping

* vurt_Icebush.dds (needs better quality)

I'm not completely happy with the green forests, i can understand that many people would prefer a "trees only" version. I might look into the more popular grass mods and see what they are like.

So, please give suggestions of stuff you would like to see improved or possibly added. Posting images of for example groundcovers / grass etc that you think would fit in is welcome too.

I also want to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has supported me with kind words and even with donations. It really means a lot to me, Thank You!

I really don't have anything major to say here, I love your mod and have loved it for a really long time, but here's just a few small things I can think of off the top of my head.

- Better LODs would be the main thing I can think of, particularly the snowy tree LODs never really matched for me. Lately I've taken to using these LODs instead generated from yours so you could maybe ask to incorporate them? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71459/?

- While I like the new tree textures much more so then the old ones now I've played with them a bit, I do think the lighter green bits on the end contrast a bit too much and make it look almost like flowers from a distance, so a better gradient and blending for that as well. Same thing with the shrub which could use some more blending color wise

- Shorter Lupin grasses. I really like them, but when they are big and in your face the texture tends to be obviously a little low quality, so making them a bit smaller may help with that, although I know theres no so much you can do with just two panes intersecting for a plant like that

- I remember a lot of comments asking for a more defined mesh for the glowing mushroom things on the trees in the marsh as shown here I'm pretty sure: http://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/141-1-1389405375.jpg

- A better texture for the leaf less branches on the Bent Pines optional file I gave you. From a distance they look okay, but up close the weird way the normal map is applied looks odd and they don't look quite as nice as the branches with the leaves/pine needles on them

Also an offer: If you would like me to write an installer for your new version and any optional files, I would be more then happy to do so :)

Nazeen: sure that would be great. I will look into those other things.

lazy: hmm it would be hard to find all the locations. There's a mod already that fixes the many floating trees in the game, i think its the unofficial patch, but im not sure.

Were the Mountain Flower meshes handled at all? If not, could a more detailed version be made that isn't flat planes?

Also, I think the mountain flower petal colors are a bit too drab. I just started a new game and the run from Helgen to Riverwood was conspicuously absent of blue mountain flowers... until I realized that they just blended in too well with the surrounding greenage.

The mesh isn't flat actually, unless you mean the flower part itself, that's just planes basically. I'm probably not gonna touch that, this needs to be a fairly low poly mesh since its used quite a bit.

I took a look at the textures and i think you are right, at least the blue and red. Thanks!

Yes, it seems the tree trunks having a wider diameter does cause them to be sort of half-floating when the terrain below the tree is not flat enough. The original trees seem to have smaller diameter on the trunks so they properly 'disappear' into the ground even on steep slopes. Or that is how it would seem. Also the very same trunks from your mod suffer from the collision oddities - at least when I last checked it by getting shot while hiding behind one. The trees are the ones that look a bit like these (image from your mod page): http://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/141-1-1430912639.jpg

But that is probably the only issue I have found thus far. Great mod! :thumbsup:

Edited by Contrathetix

I think the three tundra shrub meshes are a bit out of control. I compared the sizes of them in NIFSkope, and they are significantly larger and bushier. They also have a habit of clipping through things because they were significantly smaller when the level designers (both BGS devs and modders) placed them.

Here's a comparison in Nifskope 2.0:

TundraShrub05

TundraShrub07

And here's an in-game screeny comparison showing how conspicuously out-of-place they can become: Fort Greymoor Prison