Where is the face/head .dds texture file stored?

stickbow

I am at work so can't dig for this with BAE or anything, can't even open other people's texture files to verify my sometimes poor memory...

The skin texture files for hands & body are in tex/character/etc. Where is the face/head texture file or files?

Trying to experiment to solve a request in the Mod Request forum looking for albino skin; figure doing hands and body will be pretty simple, but don't remember where the face/head texture files are...

I figure that using the "Unique player skin" mod (or unique follower skin mod) would let you get a more synth-y looking toon, or an albino, or vampirish, whatever, per the OP's request in that thread.

Appreciate any responses, even if it's to tell me I'm not remembering what is in the skin texture folders :)

If you're looking for the default location, it should be under
data/textures/actors/character/basehumanfemale/femalebody_d.dds for the female body
data/textures/actors/character/basehumanfemale/femalhead.dds for the female head

data/textures/actors/character/basehumanmale/malebody_d.dds for the male body

data/textures/actors/character/basehumanmale/malehead.dds for the male head

If you're looking for the Unique Player Skin replace base with the word player

If you intend to change the skin drastically there are also hand textures to consider, in the same folder

• 5 years later...

All the base game textures and meshes are in the data folder. They are compressed into the BA2 files. You can look inside using the virtual folder explorer in like MO2, or unpack them with the BAE to check. Haven't tried for textures, but meshes can be looked at through outfit studio.

All the base game textures and meshes are in the data folder. They are compressed into the BA2 files. You can look inside using the virtual folder explorer in like MO2, or unpack them with the BAE to check. Haven't tried for textures, but meshes can be looked at through outfit studio.

Textures are DDS files. There are a few image viewers that support the format natively, and there are plugins for Photoshop and GIMP. Personally I use Paint.NET, which has built in support for DDS and can save files in all three formats FO4 uses, and can do pretty much anything Photoshop can do.

Textures are DDS files. There are a few image viewers that support the format natively, and there are plugins for Photoshop and GIMP. Personally I use Paint.NET, which has built in support for DDS and can save files in all three formats FO4 uses, and can do pretty much anything Photoshop can do.

Ok, but can you use it to view DDS files while they are still compressed into a Ba2? I've messed around with GIMP a bit, but haven't used paint.net, will look at that.

Ok, but can you use it to view DDS files while they are still compressed into a Ba2? I've messed around with GIMP a bit, but haven't used paint.net, will look at that.

No, you have to extract them from the archive. When you use Windows to look at a picture in a zip file what it really does is extract the file to a temporary location, display it, and then erase the temp copy afterwards. It doesn't really let you look at it while the file is still compressed.

Use Archive2 or BAE to extract the files to a temporary location, then open them with your chosen image viewer. Delete the ones you don't end up using.

• 4 months later...

Thank you for asking that Stickbow.

I have read and read and studied and researched the issue of rust\brown\black face till I am blue in the face (pun intended).

I have it boiled down to the fact no matter what mods or fixes I install or parts there of remove, there will be face textures tht are not in the size I am trying to use (2k).

I have a texture converter app I want to use to fix that.

I changed over from cbbe to fusion girl. There were outfit conversions for every oufit I was using so it makes sense to make the change. But I have some vanilla characters coming up with brown face, not matching the skin tone of the FG bodies I built.

So I would sure like to find these errant exceptions and convert them to 2k size.

Trouble I see now, i can get them from the BA2 files but how do I get the converted ones back in the Ba2?

CK and Fo4edit are not something I want to have to learn to get low res face textures up to spec. Took me months to learn how to make mashups with OS and BS.