LETTERS so I can write words on walls and doors

BlindLookout

I'm actually currently working on this.

Something really annoying I've found is that if you make an item "snappable" to walls, like signs are, or what you're describing here, they can no longer snap to other objects. Other objects can snap to them, though. I wanted stuff to be nice and aligned, so my first set is a couple green highway signs that can snap to walls, and then lettering that can then snap to a grid on the signs.

I was eventually going to have stencil letters, too (even have the specific font already picked out), and maybe they would be okay as only snappable to walls to look painted on.

I still have to figure out how to organize all this mess in the build menu, too. :P

I love this idea. Wanted to write on walls but didn't think of using letter posters. I don't think there's a need to make them snappable on a grid system; would make placement much harder and encourage clipping issues. Without snaps, you could customize the look (graffiti style, alternating heights, custom kerning)

I'm actually currently working on this.

Something really annoying I've found is that if you make an item "snappable" to walls, like signs are, or what you're describing here, they can no longer snap to other objects. Other objects can snap to them, though. I wanted stuff to be nice and aligned, so my first set is a couple green highway signs that can snap to walls, and then lettering that can then snap to a grid on the signs.

I was eventually going to have stencil letters, too (even have the specific font already picked out), and maybe they would be okay as only snappable to walls to look painted on.

I still have to figure out how to organize all this mess in the build menu, too. :tongue:

Dude that's awesome! I'm looking forward to what you come up with!

I love this idea. Wanted to write on walls but didn't think of using letter posters. I don't think there's a need to make them snappable on a grid system; would make placement much harder and encourage clipping issues. Without snaps, you could customize the look (graffiti style, alternating heights, custom kerning)

Maybe multiple versions? Snap vs. no-snap?

That's sort of the plan now. Each type of lettering is going in a separate .esp file. So I've got the snappable-to-special-signs in one, the wall-snappable (just basic sign style) in another, and now I've got a third I'll leave as a surprise. Most of it is done, or can be finished fairly quickly.

The problem still is organization. I really don't want to deal with menu compatibility patches everywhere.

Just thinking of only the wall-mounted lettering, a single group of them, all letters, numbers, and a couple punctuation, would you be fine with them all being grouped in with existing signs? So you'd have to slog through 36+ whatever else you already have. I'm still looking at other options, but if that's something that doesn't actually bother other people much, I might just do that for now.

That's sort of the plan now. Each type of lettering is going in a separate .esp file. So I've got the snappable-to-special-signs in one, the wall-snappable (just basic sign style) in another, and now I've got a third I'll leave as a surprise. Most of it is done, or can be finished fairly quickly.

The problem still is organization. I really don't want to deal with menu compatibility patches everywhere.

Just thinking of only the wall-mounted lettering, a single group of them, all letters, numbers, and a couple punctuation, would you be fine with them all being grouped in with existing signs? So you'd have to slog through 36+ whatever else you already have. I'm still looking at other options, but if that's something that doesn't actually bother other people much, I might just do that for now.

Hey if you can make this happen, I'm happy to go with whatever works for you!

An update on this.

So, after fighting alpha blending problems (and losing), I'm just going with no alpha blending and will figure that out later.

http://i.imgur.com/pRJ9R0O.jpg

Planning to have these (and the rest of the alphabet) up sometime tomorrow. They're sorted off in their own section, and it shouldn't be too hard to support other mods with patches. Just tedious.

Any suggestions on the appearance before I get too far?

First round is just these stencil letters in black, they're small enough to fit on fronts of shops. Next round will be extra colors, at least white, and maybe more sizes.